Who Needs a NEXUS Card and Why?
Enrolment in the Nexus Trusted Traveller Program is available to citizens and permanent residents of Canada and the US. Having a NEXUS card will enable you to clear customs more quickly as well as offering additional benefits.
NEXUS Card holders can
- Use designated self-serve kiosks when exiting certain international airports;
- Get pre-cleared by phone for arrival at a marine port of entry;
- Use designated security lines at domestic airports;
- Use Global Entry kiosks in US airports.
- Average processing time for NEXUS Card: 20 business days
- Mistakes made by Immigroup per 100 applications: 0%
- Mistakes by general public per 100 applications: %
- Missing information or incorrectly completed applications are denied. More info
- We have a qualified team of border crossing specialists
- 6 month – card replacement guarantee
- More info
The process of obtaining a NEXUS Card:
Please note that this process takes anywhere between 6 to 8 weeks, involves preparing your application, collecting all supporting documentation, obtaining an interview date with the nearest enrollment centre and attending that interview.
Using the Government Directly
- CBSA will not pre-review your application to ensure the forms and documents are correct before filing – all applications must be completed in full before being sent to the government. Please click here for the Canada Border Services website to find information on the NEXUS Program.
- NOTE: If you apply directly with the government, please remember that CBSA does not offer walk-in service - all applications must be mailed to the processing centre or you can apply online.
What we do for you if you purchase our service:
- Immigroup service fee charges are $170 including taxes and a $50 government fee
- We review every part of your application to ensure it is complete, accurate and mistake-free; the government will not pre-approve or pre-review any applications.
- We complete the application for you if you require it; the government does not offer this.
- We advise you of any additional steps you need to take and of any additional documentation you must provide; the government only offers general guidelines, not advice specific to your case.
- We may be able to obtain you an earlier interview appointment, please give us a call to learn more; the government's automated system will assign you the soonest available interview at the moment you log-on, but will not look for sooner appointments due to cancellations.
- We advise you of any problems you may encounter from filing the application; the government only offers guidelines not specific to your situation.
- We verify all supporting documentation prior to submission; the government does not do this.
- We give you unlimited business-hours phone support from 8am-6pm EST; the government does not offer this.
- We respond to most questions within 1 business day; the government does not offer this.
- We submit your application to the government for you;
- We prepare you for the interview; the government does not offer this.
- You must be a citizen or a permanent resident of either Canada or the US.
- You must pass all criminal background checks. Very few applicants with past criminal activity are approved for enrollment in the Nexus program.
- The program is open only to permanent residents who have resided in the US or Canada for the past three years. Permanent residents may be eligible to waive this requirement under certain circumstances. More Info
- Meeting all of the above requirements does not guarantee you will be issued a Nexus card. You must go to an interview and be approved by both the Canadian Border Services Agency and the US Customs and Border Patrol (CBSA and CBP).
Benefits of NEXUS Card
|NEXUS Program Feature||Benefits|
|NEXUS Card||Faster crossing through all Canadian and US ports of entry|
|NEXUS-only lanes at border and NEXUS-only bridge at Niagara Falls||Much faster border crossing times|
|Self-serve customs kiosks at international airports||Ability to proceed through customs much faster|
|Special security lines at domestic airports||Faster clearance through airport security|
|Global Entry kiosks at US airports||Faster clearance through customs and security using your machine readable passport|
|Pre-clearance by phone at marine ports of entry||Faster clearance at ports|
Please note that by enrolling for the NEXUS Trusted Traveler Program, you are giving the US and Canadian government access to your fingerprints and optical biometric information.
Lost / Damaged / Stolen NEXUS Cards
If your NEXUS card has been lost or stolen, you should make a report to a CBSA or CBP NEXUS Enrollment Centre immediately. You can apply for a replacement NEXUS by completing the application process in the same way you applied for the first card – you must complete the full application and attend an in-person interview. There is a $25 USD government fee to replace the card. If you use a representative the cost will be more. Immigroup clients who have lost their NEXUS Card within 6 months of receiving their NEXUS Card acquired through Immigroup do not need to pay additional fees.
NEXUS Card Holder Obligations
As a NEXUS Card holder you must
- Follow all immigration and customs laws, regulations and rules, as well as any other rules that are enforced by Canadian Border Services and / or U.S. Customs and Border Patrol. This includes:
- Abiding by all customs restrictions: You must make sure you are under the duty-free limits.
- Abiding by all security restrictions: You must make sure you do not attempt to bring anything across the border or onto a plane that is not allowed
- Use your NEXUS Card for yourself only.
- You cannot lend your Card to other people
- You cannot bring other people through NEXUS lanes in your car unless they are NEXUS card holders as well
- If travelling by car, your vehicle must also be registered with NEXUS to go through the NEXUS lane
- You cannot drop people off at the border and pick them up on the other side after they have passed through customs on foot
- Understand that your NEXUS Card is actually the property of the governments of Canada and the United States, and not your property. They may confiscate it at any time, for any reason, without prior notice.
- Relinquish your NEXUS Card – and any Card belonging to your child under the age of 18 – when you – or your child – cease to be a member of the NEXUS program either because your membership expired or you were asked to return your card
NEXUS Card Appeals
- If your application is rejected, you have the following options to appeal:
- The first option is to go to the Enrolment Centre nearest you (where your interivew would have been) and request to speak to a supervisor
- If you are an American citizen or permanent resident, you have the option to contact the program’s Ombudsperson. however because this position only exists within US Customs and Border Patrol, this recourse is only available to American citizens and permanent residents
- If your NEXUS card has been confiscated
- You should receive a letter stating the reasons for the revocation of NEXUS program membership. You may follow any instructions for appeal included in the letter. Below are general guidelines for appeal procedures. Please note these are subject to change and may differ from case to case.
- For Canadians:
- Please note there is no formal legislation allowing for appeals to the confiscation of NEXUS Cards. The appeal process is informal and at the discretion of enrollment centre supervisors.
- If your NEXUS Card is confiscated by the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) because you violated the rules of the program, you have the right to appeal within 30 days of the confiscation of your card or the receipt of the letter instructing you to relinquish your card: (This is for our reference only: http://www.tradelawyersblog.com/blog/article/the-nexus-pass-confiscation...)
- If your NEXUS Card is taken away because CBSA seized some of your property for a customs violation, you must file two separate appeals:
- You have 90 days to appeal thecustoms seizure (see your receipt)
- You must then appeal to have your NEXUS membership reinstated
- If your NEXUS card is taken away by US CBP, you may have to follow the appeal process for Americans.
- For Americans:
You should appeal to the CBP’s Ombudsperson for rejections or confiscations, though you can also contact the Enrollment Center first to see if you can get your NEXUS Card back without appealing to the Ombudsperson. You can also contact CBP to access their records on you if you are unsure as to why your card has been confiscated.Before contacting the Ombudsperson, you should always research the details of your case and evidenceto back up your claim. if you do not know why your card was confiscated, you should first follow the procedure to retrieve CBP records on you before contacting the Ombudsperson.
Select one that suits you best.
- Complete the form online.
- Securely pay through Paypal
- Immigroup will notify you of your appointment date.
- Attend your appointment.
- Receive your NEXUS Card in the mail.
- Call us toll free: 416-962-2623 / 866-760-2623
- Complete the visa application and send to one of our representatives for processing
- We will notify you of your appointment date.
- Attend your appointment.
- Receive your passport with the visa in it in the mail
Mail-in Service - Worldwide
- Download our simplified instructions and application by clicking here
- Follow the instructions. Please complete one (1) NEXUS application per person. Please ensure there are no gaps in your address history and employment timelines.
- Fax or email all forms and copies of documents to us for a quick review, or mail your application and copies of supporting documents to our office at: 2558 Danforth Avenue, Suite 202, Toronto, ON M4C 1L3
- Immigroup will notify you when your application has been pre-approved or rejected. If you have been approved we will schedule your interview.
- After your interview, you will receive your NEXUS Card in the mail at the address you provided on your application.
Cost of Service
Including legal & government fees
- Processing Time: 6-8