About This Site

Thank you for visiting Immigroup, an immigration law firm. This site combines free government information alongside paid assistance; you choose what works best for you. We are not affiliated with any government body. We present government information with simplified language, making everything quick to find and easy to learn about. We have put the services of many jurisdictions in one place. You can find all government services at a lower cost on the official websites. We link you to the official source. If you choose assistance from Immigroup, we outline the benefits on the service webpage. For example, every application is reviewed before filing, and each client gets full call-centre support and clarification of the law and how it applies to their case. Additional benefits can be found on the service page. We invite you to see our complete disclaimer; please click here

10 Years in Business - Ask Us About Our Success Rate

CALL CENTER • Mon-Fri 8:00AM - 6:00PM EST
HEAD OFFICE • Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST

Toll free: 1•866•760•2623
Call Us: (416) 962-2623
Email Us: info@immigroup.com
Call center: Mon-Fri 8:00AM - 6:00PM EST
Office: Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST


Are you looking for help getting your child his or her first UK passport?

Are you looking for someone to guide you through the process and complex British nationality law?

Get the Process Started

Child's UK Passport

Getting your first UK Passport

If you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, or another British National, you are eligible for a UK passport. To apply you must prove that you are a British citizen through birth, descent (a British parent), or naturalization. Please note that British nationality law is complicated and not everyone is able to apply for a British passport using the above form.

Using the Government Directly
  • The cost of a child's first passport begins at US$134 before courier fees.
  • Please click here for UK government's passport pages.
  • NOTE: If you apply directly with the government, please remember that the UK processing centre in Washignton DC does not offer a walk-in service - all applications must be mailed or couriered to the processing centre. You cannot apply at your local embassy or consulate (unless you live in certain countries, see our FAQs for details on which nationals must submit their applications to the local Embassy).
  • The processing centre will not pre-review your application to ensure the forms and documents are correct before filing – all applications must be completed in full before being sent to the government.
  • If you send your application to the British Embassy in Ottawa, or a British Consulate, or the wrong processing centre, it will be returned to you. It will not be forwarded to the correct centre.
  • What we do for you if you purchase our service:
    • Immigroup service fee charges are $299 pus taxes and $225 government and courier fees.
    • We review every part of your application to ensure it is complete, accurate and mistake-free; the government does not pre-review or pre-approve applications for you.
    • We complete the application for you if you require it; the government does not do this.
    • We advise you of any additional steps you need to take and of any additional documentation you must provide; the government will only email you if you are missing documentation, provided you submitted the application correctly; you cannot respond and you do not get advice on your specific case.
    • We advise you of any problems you may encounter from filing the application; the government does not do this.
    • We verify all supporting documentation prior to submission; the government does not do this.
    • We give you unlimited business-hours phone support from 8am-6pm EST; you can only contact the government via a pay-per-minute phone line or a pay-per-chat online system.
    • We respond to most questions within 1 business day; you cannot email the government.
    • We submit your application to the government for you.
    • We track the status of your application for you.
  • Eligibility

    In order to be able to apply for a British passport you need to be a British national; this means you are one of the following:

    • British Citizen
    • British Overseas Territories Citizen
    • British Overseas Citizen
    • British Subject
    • British Protected Person
    • British National (Overseas)

    British nationality alone, and possession of a British passport, does not automatically entitle you to live permanently in the United Kingdom but it does entitle you to travel as a British national.

    For passport purposes a child is 15 years of age and under.
    Most people applying for their first British passport are claiming British Citizenship. For Canadians, British Citizenship is usually claimed through descent which means that one of your parents was British at the time of your birth.
    If you were born in the UK and are claiming your child’s British Citizenship, complete the First UK Passport Application for a Minor. If your child has already had a UK passport, complete the UK Passport Renewal Application for a Minor.

    If you were born outside of the UK, but are a British Citizen through descent, your child cannot apply for a passport because British Citizenship does not transmit more than one generation by descent.

    If you are not sure that your child is a UK Citizen because you are not sure whether you are a UK Citizen – but you think you are a Citizen otherwise than by descent - you can always contact us for a consultation or you can try to register as a British Citizen. If you are a Citizen otherwise than by descent, you can then apply for your child’s passport.

  • How long is my passport valid for?
    A Child’s passport is valid for 5 years. An Adult’s (16 and over) is valid for 10 years.
  • Why can’t I apply within Canada?
    In 2009 the UK Foreign Office amalgamated its passport services in many countries, including Canada. Regular passports applications are now received by the Embassy in Washington DC. Only emergency passports are still issued in Canada. If you have to register as a British Citizen first, you will have to register in Britain and then apply to the passport processing centre in Washington second.
  • When should I renew the passport?
    As a rule, you should renew your passport over 6 months before it expires. You should do this because many countries throughout the world will not grant visas or entry to someone with less than six months validity left on their passport, as policy.
  • Can I get my passport urgently?
    Normally, you cannot expedite this process. Only under the most urgent circumstances – a death in the family – will it even be considered. Even if you submit proof of this, it is still at the discretion of the officer whether or not to speed up your application.
    If your child needs to travel urgently and they have dual citizenship, they should travel on the other passport while the UK passport is in processing.
    If he or she does not have dual citizenship, you can apply for an emergency passport at your nearest British diplomatic mission.
  • Why can’t I put my child on my passport?
    As of October 5, 1998 all British Nationals, including babies, must possess a passport to travel. October 4, 1998 was the last day an old family passport – with children on it – could have been valid.

Helpful Resources


Start your service with Immigroup

Cost of Service

Including legal & government fees


  • Processing Time: 6-8 Weeks to get the original documents back, passport should follow in 1 week
  • Service Fee: $299.00
  • HST: $38.87
  • Passport Fee: $265.00
  • TOTAL: $602.87*


  • Processing Time: 6-8 Weeks to get your documents back, passport should follow in 1 week
  • Service Fee: $225.00
  • HST: $29.25
  • Passport Fee: $265.00
  • TOTAL: $519.25*

* UK Passport Photos can be taken at our office for $10
* Passport fees include courier fees and are subject to change
* Cancellation fees apply once work has begun on a file


Service types

Select one that suits you best.

Apply Online
By Phone
Walk-in Service
Mail-in Service
  • Apply Online

    1. Complete the form online.
    2. Securely pay through Paypal

    Start Application

  • By Phone

    1. Call us toll free: 416-962-2623 / 1-866-760-2623
    2. Complete the application and send to one of our representatives for processing
  • Walk-in Service (Toronto)

    Our office is open between 9:00am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday, and appointments are available between 9:30am – 4:15 pm. Please contact us to schedule an appointment (Address and contact info). Please note that while walk-ins are welcome, priority is given to clients with appointments. Expected appointment length is one hour.

    Please have the following documents with you. All necessary documents are listed.

    Please have the following documents with you: All necessary documents are listed.

    1. First Passport
      • Certified Copies of the front and back of two or more photo IDs for your child
        • Passport
        • Provincial Photo ID Card
        • Health Card
        • Citizenship Card (with photo)
        • PR Card
        • Any other government issued ID card with a photo
      • 2 UK Passport Photos of your child
        See printable specifications below
      • Proof of British Citizenship
        • Your original, long-form birth certificate
        • Your original marriage certificate, if you are the father of the child and your wife is not British
        • Photocopy of ID page of British parent’s UK PPT and for other parent a valid PPT
    2. Renewing a Passport
      • Original current or expired passport
        If your child has lost their passport, or had it stolen, you need to complete the “Lost or Stolen Passport Notification” form
      • 2 UK Passport photos of your child more info
        See printable specifications below
      • Original long-form birth certificate

    At our office we will do the following:

    • Fill out the entire application
    • Take photos ($10) or bring your own
    • Make a full copy of your application
    • Help you troubleshoot problems

    Print Application Print Renewal Application

  • Mail-in Service - Worldwide

    1. Download our simplified instructions and application by clicking here
    2. Follow the instructions. Then, fax or email all forms and documents to us for a quick review. Ensure your residential address is listed in Section 6 rather than Section 1a.
      NOTE: If you don’t understand something in the application, just leave it blank and we will discuss it with you. If you are unsure whether your child qualifies, please contact us for a consultation.
    3. You will be contacted within 1-2 business days. If you have not been contacted by us after 2 business days, please contact our office to make sure your fax or email was received
    4. After we have reviewed your application, Mail or Courier the original application and copies of supporting documents to our office at: 1180 Danforth Avenue, Toronto, ON M4J 1M3
    5. We will submit your child’s application to the Passport Service Centre in Washington DC. Within 4-8 weeks any original documents will be returned to you and the application will be forwarded to the UK.
    6. We will contact you when your child’s passport is ready.

    Print Application Print Renewal Application


Filing an application FAQs

  • What is a residence questionnaire?
    A residence questionnaire is a document which is sometimes sent out by CIC to permanent residents who have applied for a PR Card or Canadian Citizenship. This page deals with the questionnaire mailed to Canadian Citizenship applicants. It is sent to applicants both randomly and when more information is required to process the application. If you have received the questionnaire it does not necessarily mean your application is in doubt. If you have received a questionnaire while you are renewing your PR Card, please contact us for a consultation.
  • How do I complete the questionnaire?
    You must answer all parts of the questionnaire honestly to the best of your knowledge. You may also sign the consent form to allow Canada Border Services Agency to share your personal information with CIC to verify your entries to Canada in relation to the residence requirement. You must provide proof of your statements by attaching copies of additional documentation that verifies your residence, education, work, and other ties to Canada during the period preceding your application for Canadian citizenship. You must then return the questionnaire and supporting documentation to CIC.
  • Do I provide information for the last 4 years or since I landed? Which is it?
    For the questionnaire, you are only required to provide information for the last four years, you do not have to provide information since you landed in Canada, if you landed more than four years ago unless you are specifically advised to do so.
  • Where do I submit the questionnaire?
    Your questionnaire should have contained a cover letter which indicated the CIC office where you are to return it. If you no longer have this piece of paper, you should contact CIC to determine which office you should send the package to.
  • Can I get representation (an immigration consultant or lawyer) before sending in my questionnaire if I didn’t have representation when I applied for Canadian citizenship?
    Yes, you can contact a representative, such as Immigroup, to help you complete the questionnaire. Immigroup offers both a strict review of your questionnaire and a full service, which includes advice on the supporting documents to be submitted with your questionnaire, organization of your documents, a full review of the package, and composition of a cover letter to go with the questionnaire.
  • Do I have to pay more money because I have to fill out the questionnaire?
    No, once your citizenship application fees are paid in full, you do not need to pay any additional application fees to CIC. However, if you hire someone to assist you with the residence questionnaire such as Immigroup, you will have to pay service feesfor their assistance.
    If Immigroup has assisted with your Right of Canadian Citizenship application, service regarding a residence questionnaire is not included and you must contact Immigroup for additional assistance with the residence questionnaire.
  • Can I withdraw my Grant of Canadian Citizenship Application?
    Yes, you can withdraw any application with CIC at any time. You can do this by contacting CIC or with Immigroup’s assistance. You can reapply immediately once your application has been withrawn.
  • When during the Right of Canadian Citizenship application process can I receive the residence questionnaire?
    You can be requested to complete the questionnaire at any time during the application process. It may be
    • Mailed to you before your test
    • Given to you as you leave your test
    • Mailed to you after you have completed your test and before you are invited to attend the ceremony
    • Mailed to you because you failed to attend any appointment scheduled with CIC during your application process such as a citizenship test or document verification.
  • Can I renew my PR Card while this is going on?
    Yes, you can renew your PR Card at any time during the application process for the Right of Canadian citizenship. As long as you fulfil the residence requirement necessary to apply for Canadian citizenship, you will automatically meet the residence requirement to apply for a PR card.
  • Will the questionnaire delay my application? How long?
    At the very least, your application will be delayed 6 months to one year, even if you return the questionnaire immediately. It is likely it could delay your application up to two years. If you do not return the questionnaire, your application will be abandoned.
  • When do passport stamps need to be translated?
    If you have any stamps in your passport that are not in English or French, they must be translated, by a certified Canadian translator only. You must submit colour photocopies of these stamps with the questionnaire.
  • How do I get my stamps translated?
    They must be translated by a certified translator and accompanied by a translator’s declaration (the translator will provide the declaration). See your provincial association below for a directory of certified translators. Immigroup deals with certified translators everyday and can arrange this for you at an addition cost.
  • How do I know which questionnaire I have received?
    • If you have applied for Canadian citizenship, you have received the citizenship questionnaire.
    • If you have applied for a new PR Card, you have received the PR Card questionnaire.
    • If you have applied for a new PR Card while your citizenship application is in process and you are unsure, you can check the cover letter enclosed with the questionnaire. The cover letter for the citizenship questionnaire should contain something like the following statement: “In order to assist the citizenship judge in determining whether you meet the residence requirements under paragraph 5(1)c) of the Citizenship Act, please complete this questionnaire in detail.”
  • Can CIC ask me for more information after I submit the questionnaire?
    Yes. CIC may still ask for you to provide the following before they continue processing your application.
    • Your fingerprints
    • Your original IDs, in person, at a CIC office
    • More information regarding your statements or supporting documentation in your application or residence questionnaire
  • Can Immigroup help me after I have submitted my questionnaire?
    Yes, if you would like us to assist you with the additional information you may need to provide after submitting your questionnaire, you should contact us for a consultation.
  • Can I get confirmation that CIC received the questionnaire after I submitted it?
    You cannot use the normal CIC online status check to do this, so you should submit your residence questionnaire using a shipping method which offers tracking to confirm delivery. If you have submitted your residence questionnaire via regular mail, you will have to call the call centre at 1-888-242 2100 to find out if they received it.
  • Does CIC profile applicants based on ethnicity?
    Citizenship and Immigration Canada reviews every case individually by its merits. However, some countries are more associated with misrepresentation than others. It may be the case that nationals of countries associated with frequent incidents of immigration fraud are more often subject to residence questionnaires, fingerprinting, and other additional steps than other nationals. The government of Canada is tacitlyl acknowledging this possibility by introducing a fingerpriting program for visitors from certain countries in 2013.
  • Can I speed up the processing of my application now that I have the questionnaire?
    No, the questionnaire will delay your application by 6 to 24 months.
  • Will I be fingerprinted now that I have submitted the questionnaire?
    Any applicant for the Right of Canadian citizenship may be asked to provide fingerprints. However, receipt of the residence questionnaire does not necessarily entail additional background checks.
  • Will I have to submit my IDs in person now that I have submitted the questionnaire?
    It is not possible to predict if CIC will request that you appear for a document review interview because you have received a residence questionnaire; any applicant can be asked to appear at a CIC local office in conjunction with their application for Canadian citizenship.
  • What is a Record of Movement?
    A record of movement is a document issued by the customs / border agency of every country which shows the various entries (and sometimes exits) to and from that country. You may apply for this document with the government of any country, but it is not possible to apply to a central agency to show all of your entries and exits for every country – each Record of Movement must be applied for individually.
    In Canada, it is only possible to get a Record of Movement showing your entries into Canada. It is not possible to have a report issued of your exits from Canada, as Canada does not issue exit visas and anyone can freely leave Canada at any time. If you are not sure how to obtain a Record of Movement from Canada, Immigroup can help you with this.
  • How do I check the status of my questionnaire once it has been sent to CIC?
    The normal process of checking your application is online on CIC's website. However, you cannot check the receipt of your questionnaire online. This will only allow you to check the status of your citizenship application as a whole.
    You must have the following information to check the status of your application online:
    • The applicant’s date of birth
    • The applicant’s country of birth
    • The applicant’s last name
    • ONE of the following:
      • Applicant’s client ID number
      • Applicant’s Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence number
      • Applicant’s IMM5401 receipt of payment number for the receipt submitted with the application
      • Applicant’s Immigration File number
      • Applicant’s Permanent Resident Card number
      • Applicant’s Citizenship Receipt number
      • Applicant’s Citizenship File number
    Without this information you will not be able to check the status of your application. If you are missing the required documentation and / or you would like assistance with this process please contact us at Immigroup at 1-866-760-2623.


Filing an application FAQs

  • Who’s eligible for a child’s UK Passport?
    Outside of the UK, children eligible for British passports must be the children of British Nationals: spefically the mother must be British, or the father must be British and the parents must be married. The British parent must have acquired their British Nationality through birth or naturalization. British Nationality does not transmit through descent beyond one generation so if a parent is a British National by descent, their children are not.
    In order to be eligible for a minor’s passport, the child must be 15 or younger. Those 16 and over must apply for an adult first or renewal passport.
    Please note: there are various kinds of British nationality. Just because your child qualifies for a UK passport does not automatically mean they qualify to live and work in the UK; they must be British Citizens to do this.
  • How do I apply for my child’s first UK Passport?
    You have to complete the application, include the appropriate documents, and submit the application to the UK Passport Service Centre for the Americas and the Caribbean at the British High Commission in Washington DC.
    • [appropriate documents] Certified Copies of two or more government-issued photo IDs of your child from the list below:
    • 2 UK Passport photos
      • See specifications
      • These specifications are relaxed for children age 5 and under
    • Proof of citizenship
      • If your child was born in the UK, his or her original long-form birth certificate
      • If your child was born outside of the UK, your original long-form birth certificate
      • If you are a father applying for your child, you must also submit your original marriage certificate
      • If your child was born outside of the UK, but you were naturalized in the UK (and your child was born after you were naturalized) then you must submit your Certificate of Naturalisation

    If you would like to use Immigroup to file your first UK Passport Application, download the forms and submit them to our office by fax (416-640-2650), email, mail, courier, or in person .

  • Where do I mail my child’s UK passport application to?

    If you are applying from Canada or anywhere else in the Americas (aside from Jamaica and Venezuela), send your completed passport application and the necessary documents to:
    Regional Passport Processing Centre, Washington DC
    British Embassy
    19 Observatory Circle N.W.
    Washington DC 20008

    If you would like our office to assist you with the application, address your package to:
    Immigroup Inc.
    1180 Danforth Avenue
    Toronto ON
    M4J 1M3

    If you are applying from outside of the Americas, and wish to apply directly, please see where to apply.

  • When will I get my child’s passport?
    You should get the original documents back within 4-8 weeks, depending on the proof you submitted. First passport applications usually take longer than renewals. After that, the application is forwarded to Great Britain, where your new passport is printed. Please note that if you are registering as a British Citizen first, the process takes much, much longer.
  • What is the fee?
    The fee is USD$225 plus the courier fee of USD$33, for a total of USD$258. Please not that if you are using a representative, such as Immigroup, you will have to pay additional fees. Please see our fees.
  • How do I pay the fee?
    If you are using a representative, such as Immigroup, you can pay the fee directly to the representative.
    • If you are applying for the passport directly, you can pay one of two ways:
      • By Credit Card (Mastercard and Visa only) by completing this form and including it in your application
      • By money order, cashiers’ cheque, or certified bank cheque, made payable to “British Embassy Government Account”
    • Personal cheques, certified personal cheques and cash are not accepted by the processing centres. If you submit your application with one of these methods of payment, it will be returned to you.
    • All fees must be payable in US dollars. Paying in Canadian dollars or British pounds is not acceptable if you are applying to the Passport Service Centre in Washington DC. If you are applying elsewhere, pounds may be acceptable.
    • You will receive a receipt when your original documents are returned to you.
  • What are the photo requirements?

    UK Passport pictures for children between 6 and 15 must meet the above requirements for adults.

    There is some leniency for children 5 and under: kids don’t need to have a neural expression on their faces, and they don’t need to look directly into the camera; though they should be encouraged to do both if possible, and they must face forwards.

    Please note that if you are applying for a passport for your baby, and he or she is under the age of 1 at the time of the application, your baby’s eyes do not need to be open (though the Passport Service would prefer if they were). If you must support your child’s head, your hand cannot be visible.

    The UK Passport Service strongly advises that you take pictures of your child – especially if they are under the age of 5 – at a photographic studio instead of in a photo booth. Immigroup offers UK passport photos for $10.
  • What if I have changed my name?
    • If your child was born in the UK and you have his or her birth certificate or earlier passport, you shouldn’t have any problems.
    • If your child wasn’t born in the UK, you will have to submit additional documents proving your identity in order for your child to claim citizenship:
      • You must submit the original marriage certificate or legal name change with the application, or original divorce papers, if applicable
      • Your photo ID should be in your current name
  • How do I check the status of the application once it has been sent to the Service Centre in Washington?
    You should wait 8 weeks before you attempt to check your status. To get a status update you can contact the Passport Information Careline at 1 900 783 5791 for Canada, all calls are charged at a rate of CAD$3.00 per minute. This line is open from 4 PM on Sundays to 8:30 PM on Saturdays each week (i.e. all week, 24 hours a day, except Saturday night through Sunday morning). If you do not live in Canada you can call +44 208 082 4721; all calls are charged at £0.72 per minute plus Value Added Tax (the UK’s sales tax). If you live in the US, you can call 1 900 945 2220; calls are charged at USD$2.50 per minute. There is no toll free line and no way of contacting the UK passport service centre without paying for it.
  • Is there a toll free line to call about my passport?
    No, you have to pay if you want to call for a status update.
  • Can I call my local consulate / embassy?
    As of 2009, most High Commissions, Embassies and Consulates do not have access to the regular passport processing service information. You cannot receive an update from them if had to apply through a processing centre. If you have applied for an emergency passport directly through your nearest diplomatic mission, or if you live in a country where you must apply at a diplomatic mission, then you can contact them. You should wait until the estimated processing time has elapsed before you contact them.
  • Can I call the Passport Service Centre in Washington?
    No, you cannot contact them directly. Even if you receive an email from them advising you of additional documents you must submit, you still need to call the Careline (+44 208 082 4721) if you need further clarification.
  • Is there any way I can get an update without calling the pay Careline?
    Immigroup does this for our clients.

    Recently a web-chat service became available on the British Foreign Office’s website. This service is currently offered on a trial-basis only. You can only use it if you are applying from Canada or the US. It costs £3 per use. It is available during the same hours as the phone line: 4PM Sunday to 8:30PM Saturday.
  • Will my child lose their Canadian Citizenship if I apply for their UK passport?
    No, both the UK and Canada recognize dual citizenship. If your child was born in Canada and you are a British Citizen, your child is both a British and a Canadian Citizen.
  • Can I apply for my child’s UK passport from outside of Canada?
    Yes, you can submit your passport application to the Passport Service Centre in Washington DC from anywhere in the Americas (North America, Central America, the Caribbean, South America, with a couple of exceptions: Jamaica, Venezuela). If you are submitting from outside of the Americas, the application centre depends your location. More info
  • Can I submit my wallet-sized birth certificate?
    No, you must submit original long-form birth certificates with your application. This is because the long-form birth certificate contains the child’s parents’ names, which allows the passport processing centre to confirm the claim of British Nationality.

I am in big trouble - HELP! FAQs

  • I submitted my application with proof of urgency but it is taking forever. What can I do?
    Proof of urgency is rarely accepted. It is only granted at the discretion of the officer for special circumstances, such as a death in the family. Even then, it is up to the officer whether to process the application urgently. Unfortunately, there is not much more you can do about the application beyond contacting the Careline. If you have an emergency, you should see about an emergency passport through your nearest British diplomatic mission. If your child has dual citizenship, he or she should travel on the other passport instead.
  • The application was sent back to me. What do I do?
    • First, make sure you sent it to the right place. British passport applications are normally not processed in your country of residence, depending upon where you live. If you submitted your passport application to the wrong place, it will be returned to you rather than forwarded to the processing centre. Double check the appropriate processing centre before you re-submit the application.
    • Note any correspondence from the processing centre, if applicable.
    • Double check your application for any mistakes.
    • Ensure you have all necessary documents.
    • Re-submit the application to the correct processing centre.
  • How do I know what class of British citizen I am? Does it affect my child’s passport application?

    Most Canadians entitled to UK passports are likely British Citizens. However, if you are one of the other classes of nationality, it is important to know that your passport entitles you to travel as a British National but doesn’t automatically give you the right to live and work in the UK (the “right of abode”).

    British citizenship is transmitted by descent through only one generation. This means that if your parent was a British National (regardless of category) then your child (their grandchild) is not a British national. You must be either a British National by birth or by naturalization in order to claim British Nationality and a British passport for your child.

  • I adopted my child. Can I still apply for a minor’s passport?
    This depends on where the adoption took place.
    • If you adopted your child in the UK and you were a British Citizen at the time (or someone otherwise “settled” in the UK) then your child is a British Citizen and entitled to a passport. You need to prove you were a British Citizen (or “settled”) when you apply for the passport (with a long-form birth certificate for example).
    • If you adopted your child outside of the UK you need to have registered the adoption at a British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. You will need to provide the adoption certificate with the passport application.
    • If you are not a British Citizen but you adopted a British Citizen outside of the UK you will just have to prove that your child was born in the UK to a British Citizen or “settled” person.
    • If you are unsure how to proceed, feel free to contact us for a consultation.
  • My boyfriend is British. Can we claim British Citizenship for our kid?
    Not normally. You can only do this if your child was born in the UK, and your boyfriend was registered as the father atthe time of birth (this was possible as of 2002). You would have then had to apply for citizenship for your child.

Using Immigroup FAQs

  • Why should I use Immigroup?
    • We have helped thousands of clients with citizenship matters. This gives us the experience that you can utilize.
    • We make sure that we submit the best possible application for every single client.
    • We have been in business since 2004.
    • Our staff members have years of experience in the immigration field.
    • You can call us between 8:00am and 6:00pm Eastern Standard Time and speak to a live professional.
    • More than half a million people visit www.immigroup.com each year to use our great tools and information.
    • Our legal fees are disclosed on our website. Not many law firms are willing to do that!
    • We make it easy for you to get started on your application by email, phone, or fax.
    • Customer service, sound and ethical advice are our highest priority. Once you have used us you will feel the difference knowledge, service, and loyalty makes.
    • We think outside the box to help you with your case, but we don’t take clients on just because they can pay!
    • Expect an honest opinion – we will advise you if applying is not in your best interest. Click here to see our firm’s application statistics.
    • We go out on a limb to give you the highest level of service.
    • We don’t take short cuts - we are perfectionists!
  • I am traveling and need the passport fast. How quickly can you get it?
    Normally, a UK passport application cannot be expedited.
  • Can you guarantee everything will work out if I use you?
    No application has a guaranteed successful outcome whether you submit it yourself, use our company, or hire the most expensive lawyer in Canada. However, the great thing about Immigroup is that you can see statistics of the success rate of our past applications. The UK passport website notes that between 13-20% of all passport applications are submitted incorrectly. We can make sure you don’t fall into this group.
  • What if Immigroup makes a mistake on my application?
    Immigroup has the highest standards in hiring and training. Mistakes that effect the processing time of your application are extremely rare. However, if Immigroup makes a mistake on your application which causes a delay in processing, we will take full responsibility and process a refund appropriate to the situation. Click here to see statistics on these incidents and our terms of reimbursement to you.
  • Why should I hire Immigroup when I can do the application on my own?

    You can definitely do any application on your own without hiring a company to help you. However, when you use Immigroup, you gain these advantages over people who do it themselves:

    • You can be completely sure that the best possible application was submitted. This means that there will be no mistakes, errors, or omissions which could cause delays or refusals of an application.
    • This also means that Immigroup will offer you the most ethical and sound advice regarding your application. We will tell you if something in your application works against you or could cause problems in the future.
    • Immigroup has years of experience which can be leveraged in your favor to know what works and what doesn’t in an application.
    • Using Immigroup will also save you time because you don’t have to fight with the government to submit an application or follow up on it. You can simply call or email any time you want to know the status of your application.
    • Immigroup offers 20% off our service fee for every additional application.
    • Immigroup offers 20% off our service fee for returning clients.
  • Can you give me free support or where can I get free support?
    We are committed to helping everyone with their immigration needs. This is why www.immigroup.com offers free tools and information to answer all types of immigration questions. Immigroup does charge a fee for all services, but we are always looking for feedback on how we can further help our community. Our email address is info@immigroup.com.
  • I have one important question, but I don’t need the full service. What can I do?
    You can easily search our database of FAQs. However, if you still can’t find the answer to your question, email us your question and you will receive a response within 2 business days. Depending on the complexity of your question, you may be advised to schedule a consultation with one of our immigration practitioners to ensure that you receive the best advice. The cost for a consultation is $84.75 (tax included) which is up to 30 minutes; however, if you retain Immigroup for a full service after the consultation, this fee well be deducted from the cost of the service. Consultations are available in person at our Toronto office or by phone. (Other options are available for hearing-impaired persons.) Call us at 1-866-760-2623 or email at info@immigroup.com to schedule your consultation. Click here for more information.
  • I called your office and did not get the answer I needed. What can I do?
    Only general information is available when you call our office. If you are still unsure how you should proceed, contact us to schedule a consultation to discuss the details of your specific case. Click here for more info
  • How can I check the status of my application?

    Checking the status of your UK passport application can be a frustrating and expensive experience. If you are a client, you should contact us after 8 weeks have passed since your application was submitted and we will call for you. You can request a check of status using one of two methods:

    • By phone
      Contact our office during business hours and state you are a UK passport client that needs a status check on your application. We will confirm your contact information and then contact you within one business day to advise of the status of your application.
    • By email
      Email us at info@immigoup.com and advise us that you are a current client and you would like to check the status of your application. Your message should contain following:
      • applicant’s first and last name,
      • type of service: the subject should be UK passport status check

    If you are not a client but would prefer to deal with locals instead of a faceless pay-per-call call centre in the UK, you can contact us and we will act as your representative for a fee.

  • I used Immigroup but I lost my new UK passport. Do I have to do the entire process again?
    Yes, the application process will have to be completed once again. The good news is we have a copy of your application, so this will speed up the process. Also please note that if you lost your card 6 month from the date you paid we will offer you a 50% discount on our service fees.
  • Do you offer any discounts?
    Yes, returning clients are offered a 20% discount on our service fees. Clients who submit multiple applications are also offered a 20% discount on any additional services after the first application.
  • I need your help, but I can’t afford the fees? Can you help?
    We do our best to keep things affordable, but unfortunately we are unable to offer any discounts in addition to the ones above.
  • Do you know something that the government does not?
    No, but we have years of experience dealing with UK passport processing centres. We are aware of changes in the application procedure as they happen, and we know what the processing centre in Washington DC will accept and what they will not, which is sometimes not exactly what is listed on their website. Immigroup has lots of experience in this area. We:
  • Can I pay you in installments?
    Yes, you may pay a minimum deposit of 50% of the amount due to start your case. The balance must be paid in full before the application can be submitted.
  • Do I pay you when I get my UK Passport?
    Your fees must be paid in full before your application is submitted to the processing centre in Washington DC.
  • Do you work weekends or evenings?
    You may call our office between 8:00am and 6:00pm Eastern Time, or you may come in person between 9:30am and 4:15pm. You may drop your documents at the Toronto office 24 hours a day in our drop box. You may also leave a voicemail at 1-866-760-2623 or send an email 24 hours a day at info@immigroup.com and you will receive a response within one business day. To meet with an immigration practitioner outside of these hours, please contact us during business hours to schedule an appointment at a time convenient to you.
  • How accurate is your website?
    We strive to maintain accurate and up to date information on our website by getting up to the minute news on the Foreign Office. However, you should always confirm information before acting on it to ensure its accuracy.
  • I had something happen to me that is not posted on this webpage
    Great, we really would love to hear from you and what happened. By sending us your experience you are helping others in the future. We post all information that will be valued by future visitors.
  • I can’t find an answer to my question
    Send us an email or enter your question in the box below. and we will get back to you within one business day.

Basic info FAQ’s

  • Photo of a UK Passport
  • What is British nationality?
    There are six types of British nationality. The most common is “British Citizen”. If you are renewing your passport, you are most likely a British Citizen and do not need to worry about the other five types of nationality. See above for further information.
  • History of British Nationality
    British law always made a distinction between subjects and foreigners but until 1914 the law regarding nationalities was not standardized. The British Nationality and Status of Aliens Act 1914 solidified existing common laws and statutes, with a few minor changes that didn’t really affect anyone.
    By 1948, with the Commonwealth having existed for some time, the various heads of government agreed that each member state would adopt new citizenship and nationality rules, but that all British nationals would retain the status of British Subject.
    In the UK, the British Nationality Act of 1948 established the status of Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies (CUKC), which became the official citizenship of the United Kingdom and its colonies on January 1, 1949, differentiating these people from British Subjects in the Dominions and in Ireland.
    As each colony became independent, the British government would pass an Independence Act, which would withdraw the status of CUKC from anyone who became a citizen of the newly independent country. The usual exception to one of these acts one would be unless a person had a connection with the UK or a remaining colony (for example birth in Britain).
    The Immigration Act 1971 introduced patriality, through which only British subjects with “strong” links to the the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man had the “right of abode”, the right to live and work in the United Kingdom and its surrounding islands.
    This law was changed when the British Nationality Act of 1981 was introduced, which created the current system of categories of British nationality. British citizens have the automatic right of abode in the United Kingdom but few others do.
    The 1981 Act ended the practice of acknowledging “commonwealth citizens” as “British Subjects”. The concept of “British Subject” was pretty much retired, except for two minor categories of people who were connected to British India or the Republic of Ireland prior to 1949, and who decided to keep their British status (provided, of course, they haven’t since become nationals of another country).
    Acquisition of British nationality via the new categories made by the British Nationality Act of 1981 is still usually dependent on one’s status prior to January 1, 1983, the date it came into law. This means that some rules created in 1948 or 1971 may still affect your status today. As a result, British nationality and citizenship are complicated.
  • What are the different types of British nationality?
    British nationality law is very complicated. There are basically six types of British nationality, not all of which are the same.
    • British Citizen
    • British Overseas Territories Citizen
    • British Overseas Citizen
    • British National (Overseas)
    • British Protected Person
    • British Subject
    British Citizens are citizens of the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. On January 1, 1983 most people - those with “the right of abode” - who were “Citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies” became “British Citizens”. It is the most common type of British nationality. If you are entitled to British Citizenship through descent you are likely a “British Citizen”. You are entitled to British Citizenship if
    • You were born in Britain prior to January 1, 1983
    • You were born to a British Citizen mother who was still a citizen at the time of your birth
    • You were born to a British citizen father who was still a citizen at the time of your birth and who was married to your mother at the time of your birth
    All British Citizens are allowed to carry a passport. If you have a normal British passport, your nationality is established, though not your “right of abode”, i.e. the right to move to and live permanently in the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
    British Overseas Territories Citizens (formally known as British Dependent Territories Citizens) are those who were born in or settled in a British Overseas Territory after January 1, 1983. BOTC can be acquired through descent as well, if you were born outside of the British Overseas Territories only if the parent you are claiming BOTC status through acquired citizenship through birth or through settlement (not through descent). Before 2002, only BOTCs of the Falklands and Gibraltar could become full British Citizens. Since 2002, any BOTC, save a BOTC from Cyprus, can become a full British Citizen. In order to do so, you must
    • register as a British Citizen (this application can be refused)
    • marry a full British Citizen and live in the UK for 3 years
    • move to the UK and live there for 5 years
    If you are a Gibraltar BOTC, your application cannot be refused.
    British Overseas Territories:
    • Akrotiri and Dhekelia military bases
    • Anguilla
    • Bermuda
    • British Antarctic Territory
    • British Indian Ocean Territory
    • British Virgin Islands
    • Cayman Islands
    • Falkland Islands
    • Gibraltar
    • Montserrat
    • Pitcairn Islands
    • Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan de Cunha
    • South Georgia and the Sandwich Islands
    • Turks and Caicos Islands
    British Overseas Citizens (BOC) are those who were considered “Citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies” (CUKC) prior to January 1, 1983, but did not immediately qualify for British Citizenship or British Dependent Territories Citizenship. There are a number of ways this could happen:
    • CUKCs through former British colonies or protectorates who did not become that citizens of that country on independence. This is applies to some former colonies, such as Kenya.
    • CUKCs who retained this citizenship upon independence of their colony based on a connection to another colony which became independent before January 1, 1983
    • British Subjects (see below) born before 1949 who did not acquire citizenship of the dominion they lived in (Dominions include Australia, Canada, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and South Africa), or British Subjects in Ireland or Zimbabwe when these nations created their citizenship laws, and could not claim another status through India or Pakistan
    • CUKCs who received it by descent through the father before January 1, 1983 and born in a country not part of the Commonwealth to a father
    • Female CUKCs who received it by marriage after October 28, 1971
    • minor CUKCs who received it by registration at a British High Commission in an independent Commonwealth country after October 27, 1971
    • CUKCs who kept this status even though they acquired the citizenship of an independent Commonwealth country (rare cases)
    You cannot acquire this citizenship through descent. This status is supposed to disappear as a citizenship category once everyone who holds it dies.
    BOCs can become full British Citizens through
    • Living in the UK for 5 years
    • Marrying a full British Citizen and living in the UK for 3 years
    • Statelessness, provided you did not lose your citizenship after 2002 by renouncing, voluntarily
    • relinquishing or losing citizenship through “action or inaction”. If you can apply as a stateless person, you will have to register as a British Citizen
    British National (Overseas) (BNO) was a status created in 1985 to deal with the reversion of Hong Kong to China. BNOs are those British Dependent Territories Citizens – who, before 2002, were not automatically entitled to full British Citizenship - who registered as British Nationals (Overseas) after January 1, 1987 and before December 31, 997. If you were a British Dependent Territories Citizen who did not register during this period and subsequently lost this status – for example by the transfer of Hong Kong from Britain to China – you are not a BNO.
    BNOs can carry a special type of passport which entitles the bearer to visa-free travel in the EU and to the consular support of EU diplomatic missions, in addition to the “right of abode” in Hong Kong. However, BNOs are not full British Citizens, do not have “the right of abode” in the UK, and have no special rights to become a full British Citizen.
    British Protected Persons (BPP) are a special class of refugees from former British colonies. Eligibility for this nationality designation depends on the independence date of the colony.
    A person is a British Protected Person if
    • They were born in one of the countries below prior to independence, never became a citizen of that country or any other (including the UK);
    • Their father was born before January 28, 1949 in one of the countries listed below;
    • Their father was born before January 28, 1949 outside of one of the countries listed below, and they never became a citizen of any other country (including the UK) since August 16, 1978
    • Their father was born in one of the countries below and was a British Protected Person at the time of the person’s birth and the person was born on or after January 28, 1949 but before independence, was born outside of one of the countries below, never became a citizen of one of the countries below, and has not become a citizen anywhere else
    A person is a British Protected Person if
    • Between independence and 1978
    • Their father was a BPP at the time of the person’s birth and the person was born after independence and before August 16, 1978 and has not become a citizen anywhere else
    • Between July 7, 1978 and July 7, 1980
    • Their father was a BPP at the time of birth, the person was born between July 7, 1978 and July 7, 1980, the person would have been born stateless if not for BPP status
    • Since January 1, 1983
    • Either parent was a BPP at the time of birth, the person was born on or after January 1, 1983, and has not acquired any citizenship
    Please note exceptions to these rules exist for those born in the Solomon Islands. Those seeking BPP born between July 8, 1980 and December 31, 1982 should in one of the below countries should contact their nearest British diplomatic mission to see if they can qualify for BPP status through their father.
    It is also possible to register as a BPP, but you need to meet the above conditions, unless applying through marriage.
    BPP is eligible only for people who meet the above criteria and born in the territories that became the regions of the following countries:
    • Botswana: Bechuanaland
    • Gambia
    • Ghana: British Togoland and Northern Territories of the Gold Coast
    • Kenya
    • Malawi: Nyasaland
    • Nigeria
    • Sierra Leone
    • Solomon Islands
    • Tanzania: Tanganyika
    • Uganda
    • Yemen: Kamaran and South Arabia
    • Zambia: Northern Rhodesia
    Most BPPs did not become British Subjects (though there are exceptions). BPPs can become full British Citizens through the following means:
    • 5 years residence in the UK with “Indefinite Leave to Remain” for at least 12 months
    • Marrying a full British Citizen and living in the UK for 3 years
    • Statelessness after 2002
    British Subjects were citizens of Commonwealth countries between 1949 and 1981. It ceased to exist as a citizenship category after January 1, 1983, except as applies to any British Subjects in Ireland prior to 1949. British subjects are not automatically citizens and are not entitled to British Citizenship. British Subjects – except those from Ireland prior to 1949 - should have lost this status when they became citizens of other countries (including the United Kingdom, in 1983).
  • History of the British Passport

    So called “Safe Conduct” documents were issued to English subjects and even foreigners in the Middle Ages; they were usually pieces of paper signed by the king. They were first acknowledged in law in the 1400s. Beginning in 1540, and running through 1685, the government issued passports, but they were still signed by the king. After 1685, the Secretary of State was allowed to sign as well and by 1794 all passports were signed by this office instead. This is where the first records of passports date from.

    Passports were often written in Latin, and sometimes English, until 1772. French was used afterwards because of its use in most countries on the continent. In the mid 19th century, English came back into use, though some sections were still translated into French for decades afterwards. It was at this time that passports issued by the British Crown became restricted to British nationals.


    In the 19th century the passport was just a piece of paper but by World War One they included the first passport photos. The British Nationality and Status of Aliens Act 1914 was passed with the start of the war and a new version of the passport was created in order to ensure only British nationals used it. The passport changed a little here and there until 1968 when it became possible to get a British Passport for 10 years instead of five years. Additional security features – such as watermarks - were created in 1972 and an incredible 94-page passport was issued beginning in 1973. Passports were first laminated in 1975 and printing over this laminate began in 1981. In 1982, most personal information beyond the standard name and DOB were removed.
    Machine-readable passports were first available in 1988. Photographs were replaced with digital images ten years later. The blue passports began to be phased out in 1993 as part of these security changes. Post-9/11 the British government was pressured to comply with new US regulations and so they introduced biometric passports (also known as ePassports) in 2006, allowing British Passport holders to register online instead of applying for visas when traveling to the United States.

  • Who is eligible for a British Passport?
    All six classes of nationality are able to apply for a British Passport, though possession of this passport does not automatically guarantee British Citizenship. All British Passports can be withheld at the discretion of the Foreign Office or the Identity and Passport Service unless the applicant is a British National (Overseas). Most British Citizens and Subjects are normally able to enter and move around the EU.
    Fun fact: the Queen does not require a passport, as all British passports are issued under her authority.
  • Who issues the passport?
    In the UK, British passports are issued by the Identity and Passport Service. Applications can normally be submitted by mail.
    In the British overseas territories, British Overseas Territories Citizen Passports are issued in the territory, but British Citizen Passport applications need to be made to the appropriate regional processing centre, depending on where you live.
    The Foreign Office issues passports outside of British territory. Since 2009, most British diplomatic missions do not issue passports (only emergency, one-time-use passports). See the list to see whether you need to apply at a processing centre.
  • What is the right of abode?
    It is the right to enter and live in the United Kingdom. It is held by all British citizens automatically. It is also held by some British subjects and any patrials under the Immigration Act 1971.
  • Where do I submit my passport application?
    In most cases, you will have to submit your application to a Regional Passport Processing Centre in one of a number of locations around the world. Find your country or territory in the lists below. Applications to processing centres should be made by mail or courier only. Please note that these lists are accurate for renewal applications only. For some countries, first time passport applications must be made in person at the required diplomatic mission. If you are applying to replace a lost or stolen passport, you may have to submit the application as you would a first passport. Please see the first passport page for the appropriate submission centres.
    Regional Processing Centre for Eastern,
    Central & Northern Europe & the Middle East
    Passport Section
    British Consulate General
    Yorck Strasse 19
    40476 Düsseldorf

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying from:
    • Albania
    • Armenia
    • Austria
    • Azerbaijan
    • Bahrain
    • Belarus*
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • Germany
    • Hungary
    • Iceland
    • Kosovo
    • Kuwait
    • Latvia
    • Lithuania
    • Macedonia
    • Moldova
    • Montenegro
    • Norway
    • Oma
    • Poland
    • Qatar
    • Romania
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Serbia
    • Seychelles
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    • Sweden
    • Turkey
    • United Arab Emirates
    • If you are applying from within Belarus, you can apply - in person only - at the British Embassy in Minsk: British Embassy Minsk, 37 Karl Marx Street, 220030 Minsk , Belarus
    Regional Processing Centre for
    East Asia
    British Consulate-General
    RPPC - 5th Floor
    1 Supreme Court Road
    Hong Kong

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying from:
    • Afghanistan*
    • Bhutan
    • Brunei
    • Burma (Myanmar)
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • East Timor (Timor leste)
    • Hong Kong
    • Indonesia
    • Japan
    • South Korea
    • Laos
    • Macao
    • Malaysia
    • Maldives
    • Marshall Islands
    • Micronesia
    • Mongolia
    • Nepal
    • Philippines
    • Singapore
    • Sri Lanka
    • Taiwan
    • Thailand
    • Vietnam
    • If you are applying from within Afghanistan, you can apply - in person only - at the British Embassy in Kabul: British Embassy, 15th Street, Roundabout Wazir Akbar Khan, PO Box 334, Kabul, Afghanistan
    Regional Processing Centre for the
    British Consulate-General Madrid
    Torre Espacio
    Paseo de la Castellana 259D
    28046 Madrid

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying from:
    • Andorra
    • Cyprus
    • Greece
    • Portugal
    • Spain
    Regional Processing Centre for
    Western Europe & the Middle east
    Regional Passport Processing Centre Paris
    16 rue d’Anjou
    75008 Paris

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying from:
    • Belgium
    • Egypt
    • France
    • Iraq
    • Israel
    • Italy
    • Palestine (West Bank only)
    • Luxembourg
    • Malta
    • Monaco
    • Netherlands
    • Switzerland
    Regional Processing Centre for Africa
    British Passport Section
    British Consulate
    256 Glyn Street
    Hatfield, Pretoria
    0083 South Africa

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying from:
    • Angola
    • Botswana
    • Burkina Faso
    • Cameroon
    • Central African Republic
    • Democratic Republic of the Congo
    • Republic of the Congo
    • Cote d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
    • Djibouti
    • Ghana*
    • Guinea
    • Finland
    • Guinea-Bissau
    • Lesotho
    • Liberia
    • Madagascar
    • Malawi*
    • Mali
    • Mauritius
    • Mayotte
    • Mozambique
    • Niger
    • Namibia
    • Reunion
    • Rwanda
    • Senegal
    • South Africa*
    • Swaziland
    • Tanzania
    • Togo
    • Uganda*
    • If you are applying from within Ghana, you can apply - in person only - at The Passport Officer, British High Commission, Osu Link, off Gamel Abdul Nasser Avenue, PO Box 296, Accra, Ghana
    • If you are applying from within Malawi, and paying in cash, you can apply – in person only – at British High Commission, PO Box 30042, Lilongwe 3\
    • If you are applying from or Durban or Port Elizabeth in South Africa, you can apply through the 1820 Settlers Association offices in those cities
    • If you applying from within Uganda, and paying in cash, you can apply - in person only – at British High Commission in Kampala, 4 Windsor Loop, PO Box 7070
    Regional Processing Centre
    for the Americas
    British Embassy
    19 Observatory Circle N.W.
    Washington DC 20008

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying from:
    • Anguilla
    • Antigua and Barbuda
    • Argentina
    • Bahamas
    • Barbados
    • Belize
    • Bermuda
    • Bolivia
    • Brazil
    • British Virgin Islands
    • Canada
    • Cayman Islands
    • Chile
    • Colombia
    • Costa Rica
    • Curacao
    • Dominica
    • Dominican Republic
    • Ecuador
    • El Salvador
    • French Guiana
    • Grenada
    • Guadeloupe
    • Guatemala
    • Guyana
    • Haiti
    • Honduras
    • Martinique
    • Mexico
    • Montserrat
    • Nicaragua
    • Panama
    • Paraguay
    • Peru
    • St. Barthelmy (Bethelmy, St. Barts)
    • St. Kitts and Nevis
    • St. Maarten
    • St. Pierre et Miquelon
    • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • Turks and Caicos
    • United States
    • Uruguay
    Regional Passport Processing Centre for
    the Pacific Islands
    British High Commission
    44 Hill Street
    Wellington 6011 New Zealand

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying one of the following countries. If you are applying from New Zealand itself, use New Zealand Post.
    • American Samoa
    • Christmas Island
    • Cook Islands
    • Fiji
    • French Polynesia
    • Kiribati
    • Nauru
    • New Caledonia
    • Niue
    • Norfolk Island
    • Papua New Guinea
    • Pitcairn Islands
    • Samoa
    • Solomon Islands
    • Tokelau
    • Tonga
    • Tuvalu
    • Vanuatu
    • Wallis and Futuna

    Was your country not mentioned for the above centres? That means you do not have to apply to a Regional Passport Processing Centre. Find your country in the list below. Please note that if your country is on this list, you are likely required to provide additional documents with your application (unless you are applying in Australia or New Zealand).

    • Australia: apply by Australia Post
    • Algeria: in person only at British Consular Section, British Embasssy, 03, Chemin Capitaine Hocine Slimane, Ex Chemin des Glycines - Algiers
    • Bangladesh: in person or by mail at British Passport Application, Passport Section, British High Commission, UN Road, Baridaha
    • Benin: in person only at British Deputy High Commission, 11 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria
    • Burundi: in person only at British Embassy Liaison Office, Building Old East, Parcelle No1/2, Place de l'Independance, Bujumbura, Burundi
    • Cape Verde: contact your nearest British diplomatic mission for details: British Honorary Consul, Rue Dr. Alberto Leite, Prédio da Papirus, 1 andar, C.P. 423, Mindelo, Cabo Verde
    • Chad: for details contact
      • Honorary Consul: Steve Banks, Mission Aviation Fellowship, BP 1182, N’Djamena, Chad
      • British High Commission Yaounde, Avenue Winston Churchill, BP 547
    • Cuba: in person only at British Embassy, Calle 34 no. 702 e/ 7ma y 17, Miramar, Playa la Habana, Cuba
    • Eritrea: in person only at British Embassy, 66-68 Mariam Ghimbi Street, Zip Code 174, PO Box 5584, Asmara, Eritrea
    • Ethiopia: in person only at British Embassy, Comoros Street, PO Box 858, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
    • Gabon: for details contact British High Commission Yaounde, Avenue Winston Churchill, BP 547
    • Gambia, the: in person only at British High Commission, 48 Atlantic Road, Fajara (PO Box 507), Banjul
    • Gaza: in person only at British Information and Services Office, First Floor, Al-Riyad Tower, Jerusalem Street, Al-Rimal South, Gaza
    • Georgia: in person only at British Embassy Tbilisi, 51 Krtsanisi street, 0114 Tbilisi
    • India: by mail only to PPT Applications, British High Commission, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, 110021
    • Iran: you cannot make a UK passport application from Iran at this time. Please contact consularenquiries.tehran@fco.gov.uk for more information.
    • Ireland: by mail or in person at Passport Office, British Embassy, 29 Merrion Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4
    • Jamaica: in person only at British High Commission, 28 Trafalgar Road, Kingston 10, Jamaica
    • Jordan: in person only at British Consulate Amman, (PO Box 87) Abdoun, Amman 11118
    • Kazakhstan: in person only at British Embassy Office, Almaty , Samal Towers, 97 Zholdasbekova street, Block A2, 9 Floor, 050051
    • Kenya: by mail only to The Passport Office, British High Commission, Upper Hill Road, P.O.Box 30465-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
    • North Korea: by mail or in person at British Embassy, Munsu-dong Diplomatic Compound, Pyongyang, DPRK
    • Kyrgyzstan: in person only at British Embassy Almaty, Samal Towers, 97 Zholdasbekova street 97, Block A2, 9 Floor, Microdistrict Samal 2, Almaty 050051, Kazakhstan
    • Lebanon: in person only at British Embassy, Embassies Complex, Armies Street, Zkak Al-Blat, Serail Hill, PO Box 11-471, Beirut
    • Libya: in person only at British Embassy, Burj Tarablus (Tripoli Tower), 24th Floor, Sharia al Shat, Tripoli
    • Mauritania: you cannot make a UK passport application from Mauritania at this time. Please apply through Morocco.
    • Morocco: in person only at British Embassy, 28 Avenue S.A.R. Sidi Mohammed, Soussi 10105 (BP 45), Rabat
    • New Zealand: apply through New Zealand Post
    • Nigeria: in person only at British Deputy High Commission, 11 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos
    • Pakistan: by mail or in person at British High Commission, Consular Section, Diplomatic Enclave, Ramna 5, Islamabad; 8AM-12PM, Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays
    • Russia: in person only at the following Embassy and Consulates. All offices are open Mon-Fri 9AM-12PM local time
      • Consular Section in Moscow, Moscow 121099, Smolenskaya Naberezhnaya 10
      • Consular Section St Petersburg, PL Proletarskoy Diktatury 5 Smolninskiy Raion, 191124 St Petersburg. Appointments are recommended: RussiaConsular@fco.gov.uk
      • Consular Section Ekaterinburg, 15a Gogol Street, 620075 Ekaterinburg. Appointments are recommended: RussiaConsular@fco.gov.uk
    • Sierra Leone: in person only at Consular Section, British High Commission, 6 Spur Road, Wilberforce, Freetown, Sierra Leone
    • Somalia: you cannot make a UK passport application from Somalia at this time. Please apply through Ethiopia or Kenya
    • Sudan and South Sudan: in person only at British Embassy Sudan, Off Sharia Al-Baladiya, Khartoum, PO BOX 801
    • Syria: you cannot make a UK passport application from Syria at this time. Please contanct consularenquiries.damascus@fco.gov.uk for more information or apply from Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon or Turkey.
    • Tajikistan: by mail only to British Embassy in Dushanbe, 65 Mirzo Tursunzade Street, Dushanbe 734002, Tajikistan
    • Tunisia: in person only at British Embassy, Rue du Lac Windermere, Les Berges du Lac, Tunis 1053
    • Turkmenistan: in person only at British Embassy, Four Points Ak Altin Hotel, 301-308 Office Building, Ashgabat,
    • Turkmenistan
    • Ukraine: in person only at Consular Section, British Embassy Kyiv, 9 Desyatynna street, Kyiv 01901 Ukraine
    • United Kingdom
    • Uzbekistan: in person only at British Embassy, 67, Gulyamova str., Tashkent, Uzbekistan
    • Venezuela: in person only at British Embassy, Avenida Principal de la Castellana, Torre La Castellana, Piso 11, Caracas 1060 Venezuela
    • Western Sahara: you cannot make a UK passport application from Western Sahara at this time. Please apply through Morocco.
    • Yemen: you cannot make a UK passport application from Yemen at this time. Please apply through Jordan.
    • Zambia: in person only at British High Commission, 5210 Independence Avenue, PO Box 50050, 15101 Ridgeway
    • Zimbabwe: in person only at British Embassy, 3 Norfolk Road, Mount Pleasant, Harare


  • What is the cost for a child's UK Passport?
    A regular, 32-page passport costs USD$225 plus a courier fee of USD$33. A 48-page passport costs USD$255 plus the courier fee. If you use a representative, such as Immigroup, it will cost more. See our fees.
  • How do I keep my British nationality status?
    The UK allows dual citizenship. As long as you have registered for your status (some categories of British nationality require registration to be effective) you should be able to be a Canadian and a British national at the same time (the exception is for British Protected Persons, who would lose this status if they became Canadian Citizens). You do not have to do anything else to keep this status, though renewing your passport once it is expired helps keep you from having to deal with red tape should you ever need this passport in the future.
  • What is an emergency passport?
    An emergency passport is issued by British diplomatic missions to British nationals who need to travel in emergency situations. It is good for one use only.
  • Can I put my child on my passport when I renew it?
    No, your child requires their own passport. It is no longer acceptable for British Children to travel on their parents’ passports.
  • Will I lose British Citizenship if I get a Canadian passport?
    No, the UK recognizes dual citizenship.
  • How do I get certified copies of my supporting documents?
    To have a copy certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:
    • “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”
    • the name of the original document
    • the date of the certification
    • his or her name
    • his or her official position or title and
    • his or her signature

    Important: The person who certifies your photocopies cannot be a family member.
    Who can certify copies?
    Persons authorized to certify copies include the following:
    • Chiropractor
    • Commissioner of oaths
    • Dentist
    • Funeral director
    • Justice of the peace or judge
    • Lawyer
    • Manager of a financial institution
    • Medical doctor
    • Member of a provincial legislature
    • Member of Parliament
    • Minister of religion
    • Municipal clerk
    • Notary
    • Official of an embassy, consulate or high commission officially accredited to Canada and authorize to certify document issued by the official’s government
    • Official of a federal or provincial government department
    • Pharmacist
    • Police officer
    • Postmaster
    • Primary, secondary or university teacher
    • Professional accountant
    • Professional engineer
    • Social worker
    • Veterinarian
    The Person certifying your photocopies does not need to know you personally.
  • Does the person certifying my copies need to be a British National?
    No, they do not.
  • Who can be a Guarantor / Countersignatory?
    If you are applying for your child’s first passport, or if your child is under 11, or if their passport was lost or stolen, then you need to get your application and one photo of your child signed by a “countersignatory”. This person must sign your application and the back of one photo. They should be a member of one of the following professions:
    • accountant
    • airline pilot
    • bank official
    • chairman / director of an incorporated company
    • commissioner of oaths
    • councillor (local or county)
    • civil servant
    • director / manager of a GST-registered charity
    • director / manager / personnel officer of a GST-registered company
    • doctor: including chiropodists, dentists
    • engineer (with professional qualifications)
    • registered financial services (eg a stockbroker or insurance broker)
    • fire service official
    • funeral director
    • insurance agent of a recognised company
    • journalist
    • Justice of the Peace
    • lawyer
    • legal secretary
    • local government official
    • manager / personnel officer (of an incorporated company)
    • member, associate or fellow of a professional body
    • Member of Parliament
    • minister of a recognised religion
    • nurse
    • officer of the armed services (active or retired)
    • optician
    • paralegal
    • pharmacist
    • photographer (professional)
    • police officer
    • Post Office official
    • President / secretary of a recognised organisation
    • Salvation Army officer
    • social worker
    • surveyor
    • teacher, lecturer
    • trade union officer
    • travel agent (registered)
    • valuer or auctioneer (fellows and associate members of the incorporated society)
    The profession won’t guarantee approval, but it is important the person is registered publicly somewhere so the Passport Service can contact them.
  • Does my child need a PR Card if I have a British Passport or if I apply for their British passport?
    Yes, all Permanent Residents of Canada should have a PR Card. If you are a Permanent Resident you need a PR Card to enter Canada by commercial carrier. You can enter Canada on your British Passport without a visa; however repeated attempts to do this could cause problems. Best to be safe and use your PR Card.
  • Can my child travel with more than one passport?
    As long as they are issued by different countries, of course they can. If your child is a national of the country you are traveling to, be sure to use that passport when entering, and not the other passport, to speed up your process through customs.
  • Since the Queen of England is the Queen of Canada, is my child, born in Canada, a British Citizen?
    No, birth in Canada results in Canadian citizenship only. Birth in the UK does even necessarily result in British Citizenship. British citizenship can only be acquired through birth in the UK – to British Citizens, Irish Citizens, or “settled” people – naturalization in Britain, and descent, through one generation only.
  • My same-sex partner is British. Is our child a British Citizen?
    No, the UK does not recognize same sex marriages for the purpose of transmitting Citizenship through descent.
  • Can I use a Search of Citizenship Records to help establish the British Citizenship of my child?
    Normally you would not need to use this as further proof because as long as you were a British Citizen at the time or your child’s birth, your child is a British citizen. However, if for some reason you are no longer a British Citizen because you became a Canadian – i.e. before Canada officially recognized dual nationality - but were a British Citizen at the time of your child’s birth, yes you can use a Search of Citizenship Records to help establish this fact.
  • One of my parents is in a same sex relationship with a British citizen. Am I a British Citizen?
    If and only if your biological mother is a British citizen can you claim British citizenship through descent from her. If your biological mother is not British but she is married to a woman who is a British citizen, you cannot claim citizenship through your biological mother’s wife as the UK does not recognize same-sex marriage. If you were formally adopted by the British parent, please see the information on adoption above.
    If your biological father is a British citizen, he must have been married to your mother at the time when you were born or sometime after your birth for you to inherit British citizenship through him. If your biological father is not British but he is married to a man who is a British citizen, you cannot claim British citizenship through your biological father’s husband. If you were formally adopted by the British parent, please see the information on adoption above.
  • Can I use a Search of Citizenship Records to help establish my British Citizenship?
    Canadian citizenship has no bearing on British citizenship as both nations accept dual nationality. Therefore, a search of Canadian citizenship records does not indicate whether someone is or is not British.
  • How do I prove British Citizenship without IDs?
    If you do not have the required IDs to apply, you will have to get them. Applying for your long-form birth certificate or your child’s involves applying to the appropriate office of vital statistics in the UK. Where you apply depends on where you were born:
    • If you were born in England
    • If you were born in Northern Ireland
    • If you were born in Scotland
    • If you were born in Wales
    Please see our page on UK Birth Certificates. You can also contact us for a consultation.
  • I’m Irish. Can I apply for British Citizenship for my child?
    If you were born in Northern Ireland to a British or Irish parent, or to a parent who was “settled” then you are a British Citizen and can pass that citizenship to your child through descent (that means you can apply for their British passport).
    If you were born in Ireland and cannot claim British Citizenship by descent, you are not a British Citizen. If you can claim British Citizenship by descent only, and your child was not born in the UK, you still cannot claim citizenship for your child because citizenship only passes through one generation.
    If you were born in Ireland but your child was born in the UK, then your child is actually a British Citizen.
  • Special Rules for the Children of EEA and Swiss Citizens born in the UK
    If you are trying to claim British Citizenship for your child because your child was born in the UK, but you were a Swiss or EEA citizen at the time of your child’s birth, special rules apply.
    • If your child was born before October 2, 2000, to an EEA Citizen, your child is a British Citizen and can apply for a passport
    • If your child was born on or after October 2, 200 and before April 30, 2006 your child is not British, unless they were “settled” in the other senses of the term
    • If your child was born on or after April 30, 2006, your child is a British Citizen if you lived in Britain for at least five years prior to the birth. If you did not live in Britain five years prior to the birth, but you resided for a total of at least five years before and after the birth, you can register your child as a British Citizen.
    • If was born in Britain and lived there continuously until the age of 10 or older, they are a British Citizen, even if you were never “settled”.
  • What is patriality?
    The “right of abode”; i.e. the right to live and work in the UK.
  • What is Indefinite Leave to Remain?
    This is equivalent to “settled” status. If you had “Indefinite Leave to Remain” at the time of the birth of your child, your child is a British Citizen.
  • What does “Settled” mean for UK immigration purposes?
    A “settled” person is:
    • A resident with the “right of abode”
    • A holder of “Indefinite Leave to Remain”
    • An EU-member Citizen with permanent residence (special rules apply in this case)
    • An Irish Citizen
    Could not find what you were looking for? No problem - Email us!


Ask Questions