About This Site

Thank you for visiting Immigroup, an immigration law firm. This site combines free government information alongside paid assistance; you choose what works best for you. We are not affiliated with any government body. We present government information with simplified language, making everything quick to find and easy to learn about. We have put the services of many jurisdictions in one place. You can find all government services at a lower cost on the official websites. We link you to the official source. If you choose assistance from Immigroup, we outline the benefits on the service webpage. For example, every application is reviewed before filing, and each client gets full call-centre support and clarification of the law and how it applies to their case. Additional benefits can be found on the service page. We invite you to see our complete disclaimer; please click here

10 Years in Business - Ask Us About Our Success Rate

CALL CENTER • Mon-Fri 8:00AM - 6:00PM EST
HEAD OFFICE • Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST

Toll free: 1•866•760•2623
Call Us: (416) 962-2623
Email Us: info@immigroup.com
Call center: Mon-Fri 8:00AM - 6:00PM EST
Office: Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST


Are you looking for help getting your first Canadian citizenship certificate?

Are you looking for someone to guide you through the process and increasingly complicated Canadian citizenship rules?

Get the Process Started

First Citizenship Certificate Card

Get Your First Citizenship Certificate (formerly known as a Citizenship Card)


The Citizenship Certificate (formerly Citizenship Card) is a document used by naturalized Canada citizens (or Canadians born overseas) to prove their Canadian Citizenship.

You need it to apply for a Canadian Passport and to obtain the benefits of being a Canadian Citizen. You need a citizenship card to:

  • Get a job
  • Enroll in school or university
  • Get a passport and travel as a Canadian Citizen
  • Receive government benefits

Using the Government Directly

  • The government fee is $75.
  • Please click here to apply with Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • NOTE: If you apply directly with the government, please remember that CIC does not offer walk-in service - all applications must be mailed or couriered to the processing centre.
  • CIC will not pre-review your application to ensure the forms and documents are correct before filing – all applications must be completed in full before being sent to the government.

What we do for you if you purchase our service:

  • Immigroup charges a $400 service fee plus taxes and the $75 government fee.
  • We review every part of your application to ensure it is complete, accurate and mistake-free; not offered by the government
  • We complete the application for you if you require it; not offered by the government.
  • We advise you of any additional steps you need to take and of any additional documentation you must provide; the government offers only general guidelines, not specific advice.
  • We advise you of any problems you may encounter from filing the application; not offered by the government.
  • We verify all supporting documentation prior to submission; not offered by the government.
  • We give you unlimited business-hours phone support from 8am-6pm EST.
  • We respond to most questions within 1 business day.
  • We submit your application and all required documentation to the government for you.
  • We track the status of your application for you.
  • We notify you when the service is complete.

PLEASE NOTE: As of February 1, 2012 Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has stopped issuing citizenship certificates in the familiar form of a photo ID card. Instead, certificates are now issued on a double-sided, letter sized paper with the Coat of Arms of Canada on the front and a barcode on the back.

Both the old citizenship cards and the new citizenship certificates are valid for use as proof of Canadian citizenship and you can use either to apply for Canadian passports and other benefits of Canadian citizenship. Though the form of the citizenship certificate has changed, the application process has not changed. You can still apply the same way as before, and you will receive the new style of certificate if you submitted an application before the change but have not yet received your certificate. It is not possible to obtain the old-style citizenship card.

  • Who is eligible to apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate?

    All Canadian citizens are eligible to apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate, including natural born Canadians, naturalized Canadians, and children born outside of Canada to at least one parent who is a naturalized or natural-born Canadian citizen. Any Canadian citizen who was born outside of Canada must provide an original citizenship certificate in order to apply for a Canadian passport.

  • Can I apply for a citizenship certificate urgently?

    There is no formal process for urgent processing of a citizenship certificate application. However, you may still be able to receive your citizenship certificate urgently depending on your circumstances. To determine whether your situation will meet the criteria for urgent processing, contact us for a consultation at 416-962-2623. Please note that expedited processing is at the discretion of the officer evaluating your application whether or not your request for urgency processing is granted.

  • My citizenship card was issued when I was a baby. Is my card still valid?

    Citizenship cards or certificates do not expire no matter when they were issued. Even if your appearance has changed due to age, or you have changed your name, your Canadian citizenship certificate is still valid proof of your status in Canada.

  • Can I still get a citizenship card with a picture?

    No - as of February 1, 2012, Citizenship and Immigration Canada no longer issues a photo ID card as proof of Canadian citizenship.

  • I received a paper certificate as proof of my Canadian citizenship prior to 1980. Is this certificate still valid?

    Yes – none of the versions of the Canadian citizenship certificate will ever expire. However, some businesses or government agencies require that your document must have been issued within a certain time-frame and certificates and cards which are in bad condition (i.e. illegible) should be replaced.

  • Why do I need a citizenship certificate to prove I am a Canadian citizen when I have a Canadian passport?

    Though a passport is proof that you are a Canadian Citizen overseas, many entities within Canada do not accept a Canadian passport as proof of Canadian citizenship, including Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

  • Am I a Canadian citizen if I do not have a citizenship certificate?

    If you were born in Canada, naturalized in Canada, or born to a Canadian parent overseas*, you are a Canadian Citizen regardless of whether you possess a Citizenship Certificate.
    *Please note that, as of 2009, if you were born to a Canadian Citizen who was not born or naturalized in Canada, then you are a not a Canadian Citizen.


Helpful Resources

Start your service with Immigroup

Cost of Service

Including legal & government fees

Regular Service
Urgent Service
  • Regular Service

    • Processing Time: 6 months
    • Service Fee: CA$400.00
    • HST: CA$52.00
    • Government Fee: $26.00
    • TOTAL: $527.00*

    * Government, tax and service fees included
    * Photos can be taken at our office for $10
    * Certificate can be couriered to you for $26 (inside Canada)
    * Please note: Cancellation fees apply once your order has been processed

  • Urgent Service

    • Processing Time: 20-30 business day
    • Service Fee: CA$680.00
    • HST: CA$88.40
    • Government Fee: $75.00
    • TOTAL: $869.40*

    * Government, tax and service fees included
    * Photos can be taken at our office for $10
    * Courier fees may be greater if you are applying from outside of Canada.
    * Please note: Cancellation fees apply once your order has been processed


Service types

Select one that suits you best.

Apply Online
By Phone
Walk-in Service
Mail-in Service
  • Apply Online

    1. Complete the form online.
    2. Securely pay through Paypal
    3. Receive your citizenship certificate in the mail

    Start Application Get Your Certificate Urgently

  • By Phone at 416-962-2623 / 866-760-2623

    1. Call us toll free.
    2. Complete the citizenship certificate application and send to one of our representatives for processing
    3. Receive your citizenship certificate in the mail
  • Walk-in Service (Toronto)

    Our office is open between 9:00am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday, and appointments are available between 9:30am – 4:15 pm. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. Please note that while walk-ins are welcome, priority is given to clients with appointments. Expected appointment length is one hour.

    Please have the following documents with you. All necessary documents are listed.

    1. Valid Citizenship Document
      • Birth Certificate with photo ID
      • Certificate of Indian Status
      • Naturalization certificate
      • Certificate of Retention of Canadian Citizenship
    2. Proof of identity
      • Canadian or US Driver’s License
      • Provincial / Territorial Photo ID Card
      • Health Card
      • Canadian Notice of Assessment
      • University Photo ID
    3. 2 citizenship photos (we can take them at our office for an additional $10)
    4. Copy of proof of one or both parent's Canadian citizenship at your birth:
      • Parent's birth certificate
      • Parent's citizenship certificate
    5. Proof of urgency (if applicable)
    6. Name change (if applicable)

    At our office we will do the following:

    • Fill out the entire application
    • Make a full copy of your application
    • Help you troubleshoot problems

    After filling:

    • We will contact you to schedule your interview if you are pre-approved. The interview must be scheduled within 30 days of approval but your appointment date does not need to be within these 30 days.
    • If you are not approved, we will advise you of what steps you can take to appeal within 30 days.
    • After your interview, your citizenship certificate will be mailed to the address you provided on your application.

    Print Application

  • Mail-in Service - Worldwide

    1. Download our simplified instructions and application by clicking here
    2. Follow the instructions. Please complete one (1) citizenship certificate application per person. Please ensure there are no gaps in your address history and employment timelines.
    3. Fax or email all forms and copies of documents to us for a quick review, or mail your application and copies of supporting documents to our office at: 1180 Danforth Avenue, Toronto, ON M4J 1M3
    4. Immigroup will notify you when your application has been pre-approved or rejected. If you have been approved we will schedule your interview.
    5. After your interview, you will receive your citizenship certificate in the mail at the address you provided on your application.

    Print Application



  • If I don’t have proof that I am a Canadian citizen, do I still have Canadian citizenship?

    Your Canadian citizenship cannot be revoked unless you misrepresented yourself when you immigrated to Canada or when you applied for Citizenship. You may also voluntarily renounce your Canadian citizenship. You can replace a lost Canadian citizenship card or certificate with the new Citizenship Certificate by completing this form.

  • Can I get my Canadian citizenship certificate urgently?

    It may be possible to expedite your application for your first Canadian citizenship certificate. Please contact our office for a consultation to determine if your application can be expedited. If you decide to retain Immigroup to represent you, the consultation fee will be credited to your service fees.

  • You need to check the status of your certificate application
    • You should fix all mistakes noted by the officer and follow any additional instructions give
    • You should go over your application from beginning to end to make sure there are no other errors.
    • Mail the entire application to CIC including everything that was sent to you with your rejected application
    • Write “Attention – [name of officer who sent it to you]” on the Envelope
  • Can I get my Canadian citizenship certificate urgently?

    This can be done through CIC’s website.

  • You have received a letter from CIC requesting additional information for your application

    You should include all information that was requested by the officer.

  • You are unable to provide all or part of the information CIC has requested
    • If you have part of the information CIC has requested, you may submit this with a written explanation of why you cannot provide all that was requested. It is at the officer’s discretion whether to accept the documentation provided.
    • If you are unable to provide any of the information requested, you may withdraw your application by advising CIC in writing that you wish to do this.
    • Mail the entire application to CIC including everything that was sent to you with your rejected application
    • You may also abandon your application by simply not responding to CIC’s letter.
  • You have already submitted your application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada but now you need to receive your citizenship certificate urgently

    It may be possible to expedite your application. Please contact us to determine what can be done in your situation.


Filing an application FAQs

  • What is a Canadian Citizenship Card / Certificate?

    A Canadian Citizenship certificate is a document showing information about the owner which can be used to prove Canadian citizenship. This document is currently a letter-sized piece of paper with the bearer’s information and a barcode. However, the Canadian citizenship certificate has had many different appearances, the most recent of which was a laminated card with a picture of the bearer. Any version of the Canadian citizenship certificate is valid proof of Canadian citizenship as long as the document is not in disrepair. The Canadian citizenship certificate may be used to

    • apply for a Canadian passport
    • vote
    • enter Canada without a Canadian passport (a valid passport from another country must be presented)
    • work and study in Canada
    • work for the government or in secure environments such as airport terminals
    • basic security clearance
  • How do I get a Citizenship Certificate?

    If you are eligible to apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate, you must complete the necessary application forms and provide copies of the appropriate supporting documents and submit the application package to Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

    If you are not sure that you are eligible to apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate, or if you have questions about the application process, contact Immigroup at 416-962-2623 to schedule a consultation. You may also download the forms and send the completed package to Immigroup for review.

    If you would like to apply directly to the government, please visit the CIC website for more information.

  • What documents do I need to submit with my application?
  • Where do I mail my Citizenship Certificate Application to?

    If you would like our office to assist you with the application, address your package to:

    Immigroup Inc.
    1180 Danforth Avenue
    Toronto ON
    M4J 1M3

    If you are sending your application by regular mail, you should address the package to:

    Case Processing Centre – Sydney
    Proof of Citizenship
    P.O. Box 10000
    SYDNEY, NS B1P 7C1

    However, if you are sending your application by courier, you should address the package to:

    Case Processing Centre, Sydney
    Proof of citizenship
    47-49 Dorchester Street
    Sydney, NS
    B1P 5Z2

  • When do new Canadian citizens receive their citizenship certificate?

    New Canadian citizens receive their citizenship certificate at the time of their citizenship ceremony after they have taken the oath of citizenship.

  • How long after receiving my Certificate do I have to wait before applying for my Canadian Passport?

    48 hours or 2 business days.

  • How do I pay the citizenship certificate application fee?

    All CIC fees must be paid in Canadian dollars. You can pay the $75 fee in one of two ways:

    • Online with
      • A Visa, Mastercard or American Express credit card
      • A printer and
      • An email address
    • In person at a Canadian financial institution. In order to do so you must get an original fee receipt (IMM 5401) from CIC.
    • If you live overseas, and you cannot pay online, you will have to pay at the Canadian visa office or embassy in the country where you are located using cash or a money order in Canadian dollars
    • Personal cheques are never accepted.
  • How long does it take to get a first Canadian citizenship certificate?

    The average processing time for this document is 6 – 12 months; however some applications can take longer. The length of time usually depends on the originating country of the applicant’s supporting documents. For example, ID documents from the United States are easily authenticated by Canadian authorities whereas documents from outside North America, or which require translations, take longer to authenticate. Applications filed outside of Canada at a Canadian visa office or Embassy take at least 3 – 4 months longer to process than applications filed inside Canada.

  • Can I speed up the processing of my application?

    It may be possible to expedite the processing of your first Canadian citizenship certificate application if you can provide proof that your case is urgent. Please contact us to determine whether this option is available in your situation.

  • What are the citizenship certificate application photo requirements?
  • Why do I need to submit photos if the new citizenship certificate does not display a photo?

    The new citizenship certificate has a barcode which may be scanned by government authorities. When this barcode is scanned, the photo submitted with the application is displayed.

  • How do I get certified copies of my supporting documents?

    To have a copy certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

    • “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”
    • the name of the original document
    • the date of the certification
    • his or her name
    • his or her official position or title and
    • his or her signature

    Important: The person who certifies your photocopies cannot be a family member.
    Who can certify copies?
    Persons authorized to certify copies include the following:
    • Chiropractor
    • Commissioner of oaths
    • Dentist
    • Funeral director
    • Justice of the peace or judge
    • Lawyer
    • Manager of a financial institution
    • Medical doctor
    • Member of a provincial legislature
    • Member of Parliament
    • Minister of religion
    • Municipal clerk
    • Notary
    • Official of an embassy, consulate or high commission officially accredited to Canada and authorize to certify document issued by the official’s government
    • Official of a federal or provincial government department
    • Pharmacist
    • Police officer
    • Postmaster
    • Primary, secondary or university teacher
    • Professional accountant
    • Professional engineer
    • Social worker
    • Veterinarian
    The Person certifying your photocopies does not need to know you personally. 
  • How do I check the status of my application once it has been sent to CIC?

    Immigroup can help you check the status of your application as it is processing. Please contact us for assistance.
    You may also check the status of your application by visiting CIC’s website. You must have the following information to check the status of your application online:

    • The applicant’s date of birth
    • The applicant’s country of birth
    • The applicant’s last name
    • ONE of the following:
      • Applicant’s client ID number
      • Applicant’s Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence number
      • Applicant’s IMM5401 receipt of payment number for the receipt submitted with the application
      • Applicant’s Immigration File number
      • Applicant’s Permanent Resident Card number
      • Applicant’s Citizenship Receipt number
      • Applicant’s Citizenship File number
    Without this information you will not be able to check the status of your application. If you are missing the required documentation and / or you would like assistance with this process please contact us at Immigroup at 1-866-760-2623. 
  • What’s the difference between a first certificate and a replacement certificate?

    If you have never been issued a Canadian citizenship certificate previously but you require proof that you are a Canadian citizen, you have to apply for your first citizenship certificate.

    If you have taken the oath of citizenship and become a naturalized Canadian citizen but your original citizenship certificate or card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, your application would be for a replacement certificate.

  • How do I know if I’m a Canadian Citizen?

    If you were born in Canada, or born to at least one Canadian parent in another country*, you are a Canadian Citizen through descent. If you were naturalized, meaning you took the citizenship test, and swore the citizenship oath in front of a judge, you are a Canadian Citizen. If neither applies to you, you are not a Canadian citizen.
    *If you were born before 1977 and your birth was not registered at the nearest Canadian diplomatic mission, you may be required to provide additional documentation prior to applying for your first Canadian citizenship certificate.
    *If you were born after April 2009, your Canadian parent must have been born or naturalized in Canada for you to be a Canadian Citizen. .

  • What is a long form birth certificate?

    A long form birth certificate is different than the wallet-sized card; it contains the names of both your parents and additional to information about you.

  • What if I don’t have enough IDs to apply for my first citizenship certificate?

    You will have to apply for the necessary IDs before you apply for the certificate.

  • What if all my IDs are expired?

    You will have to replace them before applying. Only valid IDs are acceptable.

  • I live overseas but I don’t want to apply through my local Embassy. Can I apply through CIC in Canada?

    If you live outside of Canada but have identification documents (other than a passport) issued by Canada or the United States, you may still submit your application directly to CIC within Canada provided you use a representative such as Immigroup.

    If your identification documents (other than a passport) are issued by countries other than Canada or the US, your application for a first Canadian citizenship certificate must be submitted to the Canadian diplomatic mission in your country of residence. This is because ID documents issued from outside Canada or the US can only be authenticated by a Canadian diplomatic mission from within the country where the documents were issued.

  • How much longer does it take to process my application if I apply through an Embassy, High Commission or Consulate?

    The regular processing time in Canada averages 6 – 12 months. Applications processed through an Embassy, High Commission or Consulate take an average of 3 – 4 months longer. .

  • Why does it take longer when I apply from overseas?

    It takes longer because CIC has to do more work to authenticate your non-Canadian IDs. It will usually take another 3-4 months on top of the regular processing time.

  • How can I stop the processing of a Citizenship Certificate?

    You should contact CIC and ask that your application be withdrawn. If you want to withdraw your application but you are unsure how to proceed, contact Immigroup and we can assist you with this process.

  • Do I need to live in Canada to claim Canadian citizenship?

    No, if you were born to a Canadian parent (who was born or naturalized in Canada) then you can apply from overseas. You do not need to have ever lived in Canada to claim Canadian citizenship through descent.


I am in big trouble - HELP!

  • How do I get back to Canada if I have no passport and no proof of Canadian citizenship?

    If you have only Canadian citizenship, you must contact the nearest Canadian embassy to where you are located in order to renew your passport and replace your Canadian citizenship certificate, you will need to apply for a Canadian Certificate of Citizenship and then you will have to use that to renew your Canadian passport.
    If you have dual citizenship, you can travel to Canada on your other passport. However, if your second citizenship is with a country whose nationals require visas to Canada, you will need to get a visa first. To avoid this, you may apply for a Certificate of Citizenship.

  • My application was sent back to me. What should I do?
    • Correct all mistakes indicated by the officer and follow any instructions given
    • Double check your entire application to make sure there are no other errors
    • Return the whole application back to CIC with the letter and instructions attached
    • Send the package to the attention of the officer who sent your application back to you
  • I have not received my Citizenship Certificate and it has been over six months since I applied.

    You should contact CIC at 1-888-242-2100 for a status update on your application. Please note this number can only be contacted from within Canada.

  • I have a criminal record. Will I lose my citizenship if I apply for a Certificate.

    No, you cannot lose your citizenship because you have a criminal record. The only way you can lose your citizenship is if you are a naturalized citizen and you acquired it through misrepresenting yourself on your Permanent Residence or Citizenship applications.

  • I misrepresented myself when I immigrated / when I applied for citizenship. Can I lose my citizenship?

    It is now possible to lose your citizenship if you misrepresented yourself when you became a Permanent Resident or when you became a citizen. If this is discovered it is possible that the government of Canada will investigate your status and may consider revoking your citizenship. You should contact Immigroup as soon as possible for a consultation.

  • I was adopted by a Canadian Citizen. Does this mean I am a Canadian citizen?

    If you were adopted by a natural-born or naturalized Canadian citizen, and your adoption took place outside Canada, you may be eligible to inherit Canadian citizenship through your adopted Canadian parent. You do not need to have lived in Canada to apply for Canadian citizenship in this way. However, as the adopted child of a Canadian citizen, you must submit a different application for proof of Canadian citizenship. Contact Immigroup for a consultation to determine your eligibility.

    If you were adopted after you arrived in Canada by at least one parent who was a Canadian citizen at the time of your adoption, you are automatically a Canadian citizen.

  • I was born in Canada but I was adopted by parents who were not Canadian Citizens. / I was born to a Canadian parent but I was adopted by parents who were not Canadian Citizens. Am I a Canadian Citizen?

    If you were born in Canada you are automatically a Canadian Citizen regardless of whether or not you were later adopted. Even if you have a Canadian Birth Certificate, you can still apply for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate if you require further proof of your status.
    If you were born to a Canadian outside of Canada, and then adopted by non-Canadians, you are Canadian by descent through your birth parents and you are eligible to apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate, provided you can demonstrate the Canadian citizenship of at least one birth parent.

  • I have a certificate of registration of birth abroad (RBA) showing I was born to a Canadian parent. Can I get a Citizenship Certificate?

    Yes, you are eligible to apply for your first Canadian citizenship certificate.

  • How do I know I was registered at the Embassy when I was born?

    If you were born outside Canada to Canadian parents, they may have registered your birth with the nearest Canadian diplomatic mission. If this was done, your parents would have been given a certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad. This document is no longer issued and cannot be replaced if lost. However, you may still apply for your first Canadian citizenship certificate even without the RBA.

  • I was born outside Canada to a Canadian parent before the law changed in 1947. Can I get a Citizenship Certificate?

    Yes you can, provided you can submit the required proof. Contact us for a consultation.

  • I am a British subject who lived in Canada for more than 20 years prior to 1947, but I never became a Canadian Citizen. Am I one?

    If you lived in Canada for 20 years or more immediately prior to 1947, you are a Canadian citizen even if you never applied for naturalization. If you are a woman you may have to submit proof of your husband’s nationality in addition to the usual supporting documentation, if applicable.

  • I am a British subject who lived in Canada as a permanent resident for less than 20 years before 1947. Am I a Canadian Citizen?

    Yes, but you must submit additional proof to acquire a Citizenship Certificate including your immigration document, or your passport at the time of landing. If you are a woman you must submit proof of your husband’s nationality at the time of your marriage.

  • I am a woman who married a Canadian before 1947, but I have always been a Permanent Resident and I never applied for Citizenship.

    You are actually a citizen of Canada now. To apply for the Citizenship Certificate you will need to provide your immigration document or your passport at the time of landing in addition to the normal requirements.

  • I am a woman who lost my status as a Canadian Citizen / British Subject before 1947 because of marriage to a foreigner. Am I eligible for citizenship?

    If you were born in Canada, or if you lived in Canada for 20 years prior to your marriage, or if you lived in Canada as a permanent resident for more than 5 years prior to your marriage, you are likely a Canadian Citizen. In order to confirm this - before, say, applying for a passport - you should apply for a Citizenship Certificate. In addition to the normally required documents, you should also provide your husband’s nationality at the time you married and an immigration document or the passport you landed in Canada on, if applicable.


Using Immigroup FAQs

  • Why should I use Immigroup?
    • We have helped thousands of clients obtain their citizenship certificate. This gives us the experience that you can utilize.
    • We make sure that we submit the best possible application for every single client.
    • We have been in business since 2004.
    • Our staff members have years of experience in the immigration field.
    • You can call us between 8:00am and 6:00pm Eastern Time and speak to a live professional.
    • More than half a million people visit www.immigroup.com each year to use our great tools and information.
    • Our legal fees are disclosed on our website. Not many law firms are willing to do that!
    • We make it easy for you to get started on your application by email, phone, or fax.
    • Customer service and sound and ethical advice are our highest priority. Once you have used us you will feel the difference knowledge, service, and loyalty makes.
    • We think outside the box to help you with your case, but we don’t take clients on just because they can pay! Expect an honest opinion – we will advise you if applying is not in your best interest. Click here to see our firm’s application statistics
    • We go out on a limb to give you the highest level of service.
    • We don’t take short cuts - we are perfectionists!
  • I am traveling and need my certificate fast. How quickly can you get it?

    If you have sufficient proof of urgency, you will receive your certificate within 20-30 business days of filing an urgent application. Please click here for our most up to date statistics and disclaimer. .

  • Can you guarantee everything will work out if I use you?

    No application has a guaranteed successful outcome whether you submit it yourself, use our company, or hire the most expensive lawyer in Canada. However, the great thing about Immigroup is that you can see statistics of the success rate of our past applications. If your certificate does not come in the time frame, we will refund the difference between urgent and regular service. Click here for detailed statistics.

  • What if Immigroup makes a mistake on my application?

    Immigroup has the highest standards in hiring and training. Mistakes that effect the processing time of your application are extremely rare. However, if Immigroup makes a mistake on your application which causes a delay in processing, we will take full responsibility and process a refund appropriate to the situation. Click here to see statistics on these incidents and our terms of reimbursement to you.

  • Why should I hire Immigroup when I can do the application on my own?

    You can definitely do any application on your own without hiring a company to help you. However, when you use Immigroup, you gain these advantages over people who do it themselves:

    • You can be completely sure that the best possible application was submitted. This means that there will be no mistakes, errors, or omissions which could cause delays or refusals of an application.
    • This also means that Immigroup will offer you the most ethical and sound advice regarding your application. We will tell you if something in your application works against you or could cause problems in the future.
    • Immigroup has years of experience which can be leveraged in your favor to know what works and what doesn’t in an application.
    • Using Immigroup will also save you time because you don’t have to fight with the government to submit an application or follow up on it. You can simply call or email any time you want to know the status of your application.
    • Immigroup offers 20% off our service fee for every additional application.
    • Immigroup offers 20% off our service fee for returning clients.


  • Can you give me free support or where can I get free support?

    We are committed to helping everyone with their immigration needs. This is why www.immigroup.com offers free tools and information to answer all types of immigration questions. Immigroup does charge a fee for all services, but we are always looking for feedback on how we can further help our community. Our email address is info@immigroup.com.

  • I have one important question, but I don’t need the full service. What can I do?

    Check out our FAQs. However, if you still can’t find the answer to your question, email us your question and you will receive a response within 2 business days. Depending on the complexity of your question, you may be advised to schedule a consultation with one of our immigration practitioners to ensure that you receive the best advice. The cost for a consultation is $84.75 (tax included) which is up to 30 minutes; however, if you retain Immigroup for a full service after the consultation, this fee well be deducted from the cost of the service. Consultations are available in person at our Toronto office or by phone. (Other options are available for hearing-impaired persons.) Call us at 1-866-760-2623 or email at info@immigroup.com to schedule your consultation. Click here for more information.

  • I called your office and did not get the answer I needed. What can I do?

    Only general information is available when you call our office. If you are still unsure how you should proceed, contact us to schedule a consultation to discuss the details of your specific case. Click here for more info.

  • How can I check the status of my application?

    Checking the status of your certificate application is simple. If you have filed an urgent application, please contact us 30 business days after your application has been submitted. For a regular citizenship certificate application you may contact us after 6 months to check the status. You can check the status using one of two methods:

    1. By phone
      Contact our office during business hours and state you are a citizenship certificate client that needs a status check on your application. We will confirm your contact information and then contact you within one business day to advise of the status of your application.
    2. By email
      Email us at info@immigoup.com and advise us that you are a current client and you would like to check the status of your application. Your message should contain following:
      • applicant’s first and last name,
      • type of service: the subject should be citizenship certificate status check
  • I used Immigroup but I lost my citizenship certificate. do I have to do the entire process again?

    Yes, the application process will have to be completed once again. The good news is we have a copy of your application, so this will speed up the process. Also please note that if you lost your card 6 month from the date you paid we will offer you a 50% discount on our service fees.

  • Do you offer any discounts?

    Yes, returning clients are offered a 20% discount on our service fees. Clients who submit multiple applications are also offered a 20% discount on any additional services after the first application.

  • I need your help, but I can’t afford the fees? Can you help?

    We do our best to keep things affordable, but unfortunately we are unable to offer any discounts in addition to the ones above.

  • My case is complex, are you the right firm to use?

    Immigroup is an industry leader in citizenship certificate application processing and assistance. In addition to citizenship certificate applications, we also have years of experience processing much more complicated. When it comes to citizenship certificate applications, our firm is the leading firm processing these applications. You can rest assured you are in good hands. If we feel something is out of our understanding the agent will let you know.

  • Do you know something that the government does not?

    No, but we have 8 years of experience dealing with citizenship certificate applications. We are aware of changes in the application procedure as they happen, and we know what CIC will accept and what they won’t, which is sometimes not exactly what is listed on their website. Please see our case knowledge in the citizenship area:

    • Request for urgent processing of your citizenship certificate More info
    • Name change or date of birth issues More info
    • Lack of sufficient supporting documents to apply for a certificate More info
    • Your application has been returned to you be the processing centre More info
    • You need to check the status of your citizenship certificate application More info
    • You have already submitted your application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada but now need proof urgently so you need the application expedited More info
    • CIC has requested that you provide additional information More info
    • You need to search CIC’s citizenship records More info
    • You would like to become a Canadian Citizen More info


  • Can I pay you in instalments?

    Yes, you may pay a minimum deposit of 50% of the amount due to start your case. The balance must be paid in full before the application can be submitted.

  • Do I pay you when I get my card?

    Your fees must be paid in full before your application is submitted to CIC.

  • Do you work weekends or evenings?

    You may call our office between 8:00am and 6:00pm Eastern Time, or you may come in person between 9:30am and 4:15pm. You may drop your documents at the Toronto office 24 hours a day in our drop box. You may also leave a voicemail at 1-866-760-2623 or send an email 24 hours a day at info@immigroup.com and you will receive a response within one business day. To meet with an immigration practitioner outside of these hours, please contact us during business hours to schedule an appointment at a time convenient to you.

  • How accurate is your website?

    We strive to maintain accurate and up to date information on our website by getting up to the minute news from CIC and other government agencies. However, you should always confirm information before acting on it to ensure its accuracy. .

  • I had something happen to me that is not posted on this webpage

    Great, we really would love to hear from you and what happened. By sending us your experience you are helping others in the future. We post all information that will be valued by future visitors.

  • I can’t find an answer to my question

    Send us an email or enter your question in the box at the bottomof this page and we will get back to you within one business day.


Basic FAQs

  • Photo of Citizenship Certificate

    Current Canadian Citizenship Certificate - Sample

  • Photo of old Citizenship Card

    Old Citizenship Card - Sample

  • What is Canadian Citizenship?

    Canadian Citizenship is a nationality and a right acquired by being born in Canada, by being born to Canadian parents overseas, or being naturalized (taking the oath of citizenship). A Canadian citizen can vote in Canadian elections, run for office in Canada, work and study and Canada, serve in the Canadian military, and receive government benefits, among other rights and privileges. Canadian Citizens are allowed to travel on Canadian Passports. As a Canadian citizen, you will be eligible for jury duty and you are required by law to participate. .

  • History of Canadian Citizenship

    Originally, Canadian citizenship was similar to British citizenship since all Canadians were subjects of the British Crown. At the time of Confederation, the Canadian Parliament was given control over citizenship and immigration. In 1910, the first mention of “Canadian Citizen” appeared in Canadian law. Canadian Citizens were persons born in Canada, naturalized in Canada, or even British who moved to Canada and satisfied a residence requirement. In 1914, it became slightly harder to naturalize in Canada because the residency requirement changed from three to five years. In 1921, the notion of Canadian Nationality (and hence citizenship) was finally put into law as separate from British nationality.
    In 1931 Canada finally gained full legislative independence from Britain but retained various rules about citizenship inherited from Britain. This continued until the Canadian Citizenship Act of 1946. If you were a British subject living in Canada at this time, you most likely became a Canadian citizen. This also applies to British Subjects living in Newfoundland when Newfoundland joined Canada three years later in 1949.
    The biggest change in Canadian citizenship regulations occurred in 1977. The new rules legalized dual citizenship in Canada and also made it official that anyone born in Canada after 1947 was automatically a Canadian citizen (unless they were the child of a foreign diplomat). This is proved through the issuance of a birth certificate. The other thing the new rules did was make Canadians out of children born to Canadian citizens overseas, for the firs time. Additionally, if you were the son or daughter of the son or daughter of a Canadian born overseas (i.e. second generation) you could still claim Canadian citizenship if you applied to do so before your 28th birthday.
    In 2009 this last rule changed. Citizenship by descent (outside of Canada) now only applies to the first generation born abroad to Canadian citizens, but there is now no need to apply or register your status before applying for your Canadian citizenship certificate. For second generation children born after April, 2009, who are not currently Canadian citizens (even if they have siblings born before April 17, who are Canadian citizens), these children can become Canadian Citizens if they first become Permanent Residents. They do not need to wait the usual three years to apply for citizenship.
    These new changes also affected adoption. Foreigners adopted by Canadian Citizens in Canada now become Canadian Citizens at the time of the adoption. .

  • History of the Citizenship Certificate

    The document used to prove Canadian citizenship has gone through many changes since its inception. Before 1977, those who were born in Canada could prove their citizenship through a birth certificate only if they also didn’t lose their citizenship under the pre-1977 rules. Those born overseas before 1977 to a Canadian parent need a certificate of registration of birth and a Certificate of Retention of Canadian Citizenship. Those naturalized before 1977 received a Certificate of Naturalization as proof.
    From 1977 onwards, Canada issued a photo ID Citizenship Card [photo]. It contained the citizen’s picture, name, height and eye colour. This document was issued until February 2012 The photo ID card has since been replaced by a Citizenship Certificate, an 8” x 11” double-sided piece of paper that contains more security features than the old card, such as a unique barcode. The old Canadian citizenship certificate, citizenship card, and the new Certificate are valid proof of Canadian citizenship as long as the document is legible and in good condition.
    A Canadian passport, though seen as proof of Canadian citizenship outside of Canada, is not acceptable proof of citizenship when dealing with Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
    A commemoration of citizenship is different than your Citizenship Certificate and is not proof of citizenship by itself. This document is a letter signed by your member of parliament at the time you became a Canadian citizen, which congratulates you. .

  • What is naturalization?

    When a person is naturalized, this means that they have become a citizen of a country other than the country of their birth through an application process. A person who is naturalized does not acquire citizenship through birth or through descent from a parent. .

  • How do I become naturalized in Canada?

    Please see Right of Citizenship. You can become a citizen of Canada through naturalization if you are over 18 and

    • you are a permanent resident
    • you have lived in Canada for a total of 1095 days during the four years preceding your application for citizenship, including two years as a permanent resident
    • you have sufficient knowledge of Canada (as demonstrated by taking a test, which is required as part of the application process, but only if the applicant is between 18 and 54 years of age)
    • you have sufficient command of the French or English language
    • you are not a subject to any criminal prohibitions
    • you are not a war criminal
    If the applicant is a child, there are fewer requirements:
    • the applicant must be a permanent resident
    • at least one of the applicant’s parents must be a Canadian citizen or in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship at the time the application is filed
    If the applicant is 14 years of age or over, they must attend a citizenship ceremony as the final stage of their application. .


  • How could I lose my citizenship?

    In 1977, the new rules made it impossible to give up your citizenship without officially renouncing it. However, new laws mean you could lose your citizenship if you are convicted of fraud regarding your immigration application or your citizenship application. Applicants may be restricted from renouncing Canadian citizenship if they do not hold citizenship in another country to prevent the applicant from becoming stateless.
    You could have lost your citizenship before 1977 if you

    • were naturalized in another (dual citizenship wasn’t legal in Canada)
    • lived outside of Canada for a prolonged period of time
    • if your parent lost their citizenship while you were a child
    In 2007 efforts were made to help those who had lost their citizenship prior to 1977. By the new citizenship rules of 2009, it was possible to regain your Canadian citizenship lost before 1977 if you could claim it by descent. .


  • What does it mean if someone is stateless?

    A person is stateless if they do not hold citizenship in any country.

  • What constitutes proof of Canadian citizenship?

    Proof of Citizenship in Canada can be in the form of a birth certificate showing you were born in Canada or a Citizenship Certificate showing that you are a Canadian Citizen. A passport is not always viewed as proof of Canadian Citizenship within Canada.

  • Who is eligible to apply for a Citizenship Certificate?

    Any person who is a Canadian citizen through birth, naturalization, or descent from a parent is eligible to apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate.

  • What is the cost for a Citizenship Certificate?

    The application fee for a Citizenship Certificate is $75 CDN. The service fee cost of a Citizenship Certificate using Immigroup depends on the service level selected. Please see the fee grid above.

  • What is a Record of Landing (IMM 1000)?

    This paper document is literally the record of your landing in Canada as an immigrant. Any person who ever became a permanent resident of Canada has been given this document when they first arrived in Canada as an immigrant.

  • Can I laminate my certificate?

    Laminating your certificate or altering it in any other way is considered damaging it. If you have laminated it, the certificate is considered invalid and it will not be accepted by Passport Canada or other federal agencies.

  • Can I fold my certificate?

    No, you cannot alter your certificate in any way. If you do so, it may be refused as proof of citizenship by Passport Canada and other federal agencies.

  • Why is a photocopy of a citizenship certificate not acceptable proof of citizenship?

    Your Citizenship Card or Certificate is official proof that you are a citizen of Canada. They both have embedded security features that make them difficult to forge. A photocopy is just a piece of paper and lacks the security features of your Card or Certificate.

  • If I am a naturalized Canadian Citizen but moved to my country of birth, are my children Canadian?

    If your kids were born after you were naturalized then they are Canadian Citizens. However, your grand children will not be Canadian Citizens unless they are born in Canada.


Ask Questions