- Located in Western Europe
- The climate in Belgium is temperate mild winters and cool summers, the country is also rainy, humid and cloudy. There are rugged mountains in Ardennes forest
Marriage to a Belgian Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Belgian citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
You must demonstrate to Belgian officials that they are not currently married to anyone else - either you have never been married or all divorces are finalized - that your identity is proven, and that you have never committed any crimes in Belgium. This is done by providing various documents including an Affidavit of Single Status to the Belgian government either in Belgium or via a Belgian embassy.
If you want to bring your Belgian spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our eTA.
Belgian Marriage Basic Requirements
In order to marry your Belgium sweetheart, the following requirements must be met in order to get a visa to go to Belgium:
- A valid passport or travel document valid for 3 months than the visa
- The passport must at least have one blank double blank page for the visa for each applicant
- Two visa application
- Official copy of marriage notice form from a relevant registrar in Belgium not more than 6 months prior to the date of application
- Proof of sufficient financial means like copies of payslips, bank statement or formal obligation
- Copy of Belgian ID or residence permit
- Proof the relationship is stable and long term like letters, plane tickets of photos
- Proof of travel insurance with a minimum cover of 30,000 Euros valid for all Schengen countries
Other documents that may be required are;
- Medical certificate filled by a Belgian embassy approved medical Centre not more than six months prior to the date of application
- An extract from judicial records not more than six months prior to the date of application covering 5 years
- Proof that both spouses are above 21 years
- These documents should be submitted in original and 2 copies
In order to marry a citizen of Belgium, you must demonstrate to the Belgian government that you are eligible to do so. This includes:
- Proof of country of birth
- Proof of single status
- Proof of age requirement
Belgian Marriage Ceremony
The marriage ceremony to a Belgian citizen can legally take place in Belgium, Canada, or any other country as long as both parties have the necessary visas to enter this country legally. This marriage can then be recognized when applying for a permanent residence or an eTA for your Belgian spouse. To learn more about ceremony customs, see below.
If your Belgian spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Belgian Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Belgian citizen.
How long is the Belgian Marriage document valid?
The document is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. If you do not marry your Belgian fiancé within 6 months of the issuance of the Belgian Marriage document, you must apply again with new supporting documents.
List of Belgian Consulates in Canada
The country code is 32 so to call Belgium dial 011 – 32 – area code – local number
|Antwerp||3||Hasselt||11||Mons / Bergen||65|
|Bruges||50||Kortrijk||56||Namen / Namur||81|
|Charleroi||71||Leuven||16||Tournai / Doornik||69|
Canadian Embassy in Belgium
Avenue de Tervueren 2