Marriage to a East Timorese Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a East Timorese citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your East Timorese spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
East Timorese Marriage Basic Requirements
In order to marry a citizen of East Timor, you must demonstrate to the East Timorese government that you are eligible to do so. This includes:
- Proof of country of birth
- Proof of single status
- Proof of age requirement
East Timorese Marriage Ceremony
The marriage ceremony to a East Timorese citizen can legally take place in East Timor, Canada, or any other country as long as both parties have the necessary visas to enter this country legally. This marriage can then be recognized when applying for a permanent residence or a visitor visa for your East Timorese spouse. To learn more about ceremony customs, see below.
If your East Timorese spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the East Timorese Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a East Timorese citizen.
List of East Timorese Consulates in Canada
To call East Timor from Canada, dial:
011 - 670- Area Code - TEL #
The format should be as follows dial 011 + 670 + phone number
Civil Marriage Requirements
- Marriage shall be based upon free consent by the parties and on terms of full equality of rights between spouses, in accordance with the law.
- Passport must be produced by a foreign partner
- Couple must be free to marry
- Divorce certificate must be produced where necessary
- Death Certificate must be produce where necessary
- Notice of marriage must be issued
- Witnesses must be present at the time of the union
How to call Canada from East Timor
00- 1 - Area Code - TEL #
Follow the dialling format shown above while calling Canada from East Timor.
- 00- Exit code for East Timor, and is needed for making any international call from East Timor
- 1 - ISD Code or Country Code of Canada