Marriage to a Nepalese Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Nepalese citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Nepalese spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
If you file a Canadian sponsorship application for your Nepalese spouse or partner, this application takes an average of 10-12 months.
A visitor visa application for your spouse or partner to visit you in Canada while the sponsorship applications are processing takes an average of 3 –14 days.
Nepalese Marriage Basic Requirements
Marriage in Nepal is regulated by the Registration of Marriages Act of 1971. Foreigners wishing to marry in Nepal are subject to the same laws as Nepalese citizens.
- Marriages may be solemnised according to the customs and usages of the individual’s religion, caste, community or family, provided that those customs do not violate any of the law’s provisions.
- The minimum legal age for marriage in Nepal is 20 for men and 20 for women.
- To ensure the legality of a religious marriage, the couple should register the marriage. It is also possible to have a civil ceremony. In both cases the civil authorities will issue a marriage certificate.
- In order to start the process, the individuals concerned need to have been resident in the Kathmandu Consular District for at least twenty-one days. At this point, you may apply to Consular Section of the Canadian Embassy to give Notice of Marriage. This involves an oath to be made confirming that the persons intending to marry are legally free and of age to do so.
- The Notice of Marriage will then be displayed in the Consular for twenty-one days, after which time, if no impediment has been shown to exist, the letter of No Impediment will be issued and an Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry. On issue of these documents, the couple has three months within which to marry.
- On receipt, the documents supplied by the Embassy plus the documents listed below, should be taken to the Chief District Officers (CDO) office. After a period of approximately 15 days, the couple will need to return to the CDO to sign the marriage register following which; the CDO will issue a marriage certificate written in both Nepali and English.
- Decree Absolute if married previously/or death certificate of previous spouse
- Original Passport at the time of application
- Photocopy of the data page from passport
- Photocopy of entry visa into Nepal
- The arrangements for any religious ceremony required will have to be made by the couple intending marriage.
- But, it should be noted that on its own, a religious Ceremony does not impart legality to a ‘marriage’; a certificate from the CDO will be required.
- The whole process from first applying, assuming that twenty-one days have already been spent in the Kathmandu Consular district, to receiving the Certificate of Marriage from the CDO should take approximately five weeks.
The Address for the CDO Office is
Tel: 009 771 4262828, 4262478
Fax: 009 771 4267619
If your Nepalese spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Nepalese Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Nepalese citizen.
List of Nepalese Consulates in Canada
Calling Nepal from Canada
011 - 977 - Area Code - local number, where
- 011 is the exit code for Canada
- 977 is the country code for Nepal
List of Area Codes for major centres of Nepal (landlines only)
|Bhim Datta||99||Ghorahi||82||Madhyapur Thimi||1|
The code for cells is either 97 or 98.
Calling Canada from Nepal
00 - 1 - Area Code - local number
- 00- Exit code for Nepal, and is needed for making any international call from Nepal
- 1 - ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
List of Area Codes of Canada
403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
Nepalese Time is its own special time zone, GMT+5:45. Nepal does not observe Daylight Saving Time.
|Canadian Time Zone||
# of Hours Nepal is Ahead
# of Hours during DST
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||13 hours and 45 minutes||12 hours and 45 minutes|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunvaut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||12 hours and 45 minutes||11 hours and 45 minutes|
|Saskatchewan||11 hours and 45 minutes||11 hours and 45 minutes|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario)||11 hours and 45 minutes||10 hours and 45 minutes|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||10 hours and 45 minutes||9 hours and 45 mniutes|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec)||9 hours and 45 minutes||8 hours and 45 minutes|
|Newfoundland||9 hours and 15 minutes||8 hours and 15 minutes|
Emergency Information for Canadians in Nepal
Consulate of Canada in Kathmandu
47 Lal Darbar Marg
Telephone: 977 (1) 444-1976
High Commission of Canada in New Delhi
Telephone: 91 (11) 4178-2000
Canadian Government's Travel Alerts for Nepa
Sponsoring a Nepalese to Come to Canada
The sponsorship process is long and can be complicated. To learn more, click the button below:
Want to know more about marrying in Nepal? Let us know!