Marriage to a Tongan Citizen
Every country has its own laws that apply to its citizens marrying a person from a different country. Getting married to a Tongan citizen with the goal of eventually bringing them to Canada to live is a process with many steps.
If you want to bring your Tongan spouse or partner to live in Canada, you must then file a sponsorship application for them to become a permanent resident. If they would like to visit you in Canada while their application is in process, they must also apply for a visitor visa. For more information, please see our family sponsorship page and our visitor visa page.
Tongan Marriage Basic Requirements
Please note that you will have to verify things yourself on the ground before attempting to take action on these matters, but there you go, there are formal proceedings to marrying in Tonga on your visitor’s visa if you are a foreigner. You will have to produce the documents indicated below before you can be allowed to get married in Tonga
- The non-Tongan passport holder lodges a letter with the VISA Section of Immigration stating that he or she is a citizen of (whatever country) and wishes to marry a Tongan spouse in Tonga (or a foreign spouse in Tonga).
- He or she must submit an affidavit stating that he or she is free to marry, has no criminal record etc; The affidavit may be done in Tonga or if done overseas, the original must be signed by a notary public.
- Their passport must accompany the application
- Application fee of $50.00 (if it is two foreigners wishing to marry in Tonga and both have visitor's visas then the fee is $50.00 each)
- If the person is marrying a Tongan national, then the Tongan spouse's Birth Certificate or Tongan passport with the application will be required.
- Both applicants need to have their original Birth Certificates for the Registrar of the Supreme Court (Not the Immigration division) for the Marriage Certificate.
- The whole process can be completed within 2 days or less.
The marriage application should be taken to the address provided below
Address of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Tonga
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
PO Box 821
Kingdom of Tonga
Phone: +676 23-600
Fax: +676 23-360
If your Tongan spouse has dependent children, this does not affect the Tongan Marriage document application.
If you have dependent children, they have no effect on the application to marry a Tongan citizen.
The Currency of Tonga is the Tonga Paanga.
List of Tongan Consulates in Canada
Canadian consulate in Tonga
There is no resident Canadian government office in Tonga. You can obtain consular assistance and further information from the High Commission of Australia (under the Canada-Australia Consular Services Sharing Agreement) in Nuku’alofa.
Nuku'alofa-Australian High Commission
High Commission of Canada in Wellington
125 The Terrace,
Telephone: 64(4) 473-9577
How to call Canada from Tonga
00 - 1 - Area Code - TEL #
Follow the dialing format shown above while calling Canada from Tonga.
- 00 - Exit code for Tonga, and is needed for making any international call from Tonga
- 1 - ISD Code or Country Code of Canada
|Alberta||403 / 587 (southern Alberta)
587 / 780 (central and northern Alberta)
|BC||236 / 250 / 778 (majority of BC)
236 / 604 / 778 (Metro Vancouver)
|Ontario||226 / 519 (southwestern Ontario)
249 / 705 (northeastern Ontario)
289 / 365 / 905 (Greater Toronto Area)
343 / 613 (eastern Ontario)
416 / 647 (Toronto)
807 (northwestern Ontario)
|Manitoba||204 / 431||PEI||782 / 902|
|New Brunswick||506||Quebec||418 / 581 (eastern Quebec)
438 / 514 (Montreal)
450 / 579 (Greater Montreal)
819 / 873 (remainder of Quebec)
|Newfoundland and Labrador||709||Saskatchewan||306 / 639|
|Nova Scotia||782 / 902|
To call Tonga from Canada, dial:
011 - 676 - Area Code - TEL #
The format should be as follows dial 011 + 676 + phone number
Time Difference with Canada
|Canadian Time Zone||# of Hours Tonga is Ahead||# of Hours during DST|
|Pacific (BC, Yukon)||21 hours||20 hours|
|Mountain (Alberta, western Nunavut, Lloydminster, Saskatchewan)||20 hours||19 hours|
|Saskatchewan||19 hours||19 hours|
|Central (Manitoba, Northwest Territories, central Nunavut, northwestern Ontario)||19 hours||18 hours|
|Eastern (most of Ontario, most of Quebec)||18 hours||17 hours|
|Atlantic (Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, eastern Quebec)||17 hours||16 hours|
|Newfoundland||16.5 hours||15.5 hours|