About This Site

Thank you for visiting Immigroup, an immigration law firm. This site combines free government information alongside paid assistance; you choose what works best for you. We are not affiliated with any government body. We present government information with simplified language, making everything quick to find and easy to learn about. We have put the services of many jurisdictions in one place. You can find all government services at a lower cost on the official websites. We link you to the official source. If you choose assistance from Immigroup, we outline the benefits on the service webpage. For example, every application is reviewed before filing, and each client gets full call-centre support and clarification of the law and how it applies to their case. Additional benefits can be found on the service page. We invite you to see our complete disclaimer; please click here

10 Years in Business - Ask Us About Our Success Rate

CALL CENTER • Mon-Fri 8:00AM - 6:00PM EST
HEAD OFFICE • Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST

Toll free: 1•866•760•2623
Call Us: (416) 962-2623
Email Us: info@immigroup.com
Call center: Mon-Fri 8:00AM - 6:00PM EST
Office: Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST


Are you looking for help replacing your citizenship certificate or card?

Are you looking for someone to help you through the process

Get the Process Started

Replacement Citizenship Certificate (Card)

Who needs a Citizenship Certificate?

The Citizenship Certificate (formerly Citizenship Card) is a document used by naturalized Canadian citizens (or Canadians born overseas) to prove their Canadian Citizenship. Canadian citizens born in Canada may also apply for a citizenship certificate.

The Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is necessary for proving your status as a Canadian. You need it to apply for a Canadian Passport and to obtain the benefits of being a Canadian Citizen

You need a citizenship card to

  • Get a Canadian passport
  • Apply for Government benefits
  • Get a driver’s license or provincial ID
  • Enroll in school or university
  • Get a job
Using the Government Directly
  • The government fee is $75.
  • Please click here to apply directly with Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • NOTE:If you apply directly with the government, please remember that CIC does not offer a walk-in service - all applications must be mailed or couriered to the processing centre.
  • CIC will not pre-review your application to ensure the forms and documents are correct before filing – all applications must be completed in full before being sent to the government.
What we do for you if you purchase our service:
  • Immigroup charges a $249 service fee plus taxes and a $75 government fee.
  • We review every part of your application to ensure it is complete, accurate and mistake-free; not offered by the government.
  • We complete the application for you if you require it; not offered by the government.
  • We advise you of any additional steps you need to take and of any additional documentation you must provide; the government offers only general guidelines and not specific advice.
  • We advise you of any problems you may encounter from filing the application; not offered by the government.
  • We verify all supporting documentation prior to submission; not offered by the government.
  • We give you unlimited business-hours phone support from 8am-6pm EST.
  • We respond to most questions within 1 business day.
  • We submit your application and all required documentation to the government for you.
  • We track the status of your application for you;
  • We notify you when the service is complete.

PLEASE NOTE: We would like to inform you that as of February 1, 2012 Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has stopped issuing citizenship certificates in the familiar form of a photo ID card. Instead, certificates are now issued on a double-sided, letter sized paper, with the Coat of Arms of Canada on the front, and a barcode on the back.

Both the old citizenship cards and the new certificates of Canadian citizenship are valid for use as proof of citizenship and you can use them to apply for a Canadian passport and other benefits of Canadian Citizenship. Though the form of the citizenship certificate has changed, the application process has not changed.


  • I’ve lost my citizenship card, how can I replace it?
    You need to replace your lost card or certificate by applying for a replacement certificate of Canadian citizenship. The citizenship card was discontinued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada in February 2012 and can no longer be obtained. However, you may still apply for proof of Canadian citizenship in the form of a paper Canadian citizenship certificate using the same application process.
  • I need my Canadian citizenship certificate urgently.
    It may be possible to speed up the processing of your application. You may be able to get your new certificate in as little as fifteen (15) business days depending on your circumstances. Contact us to determine if you meet the requirements to get your Canadian citizenship certificate urgently. Please note that urgent processing for certificates of Canadian citizenship is at the officer’s discretion.
  • Is my old citizenship card still valid?
    As long as your citizenship card or certificate is still in good condition, each document is still valid and never expires. The certificate is only issued to those who did not receive their Card before February 2012. Both the card and certificate are proof Canadian Citizenship.
  • Can I still get a citizenship card with a picture?
    No, as of February 2012, CIC no longer issues a card. It is no longer possible to obtain proof of Canadian citizenship in this format.
  • Does my Citizenship Card / Certificate expire?
    No, your citizenship card or certificate does not expire. As long as the document is kept in good condition it will always be valid. Please note that paper citizenship certificates are void if they are laminated.

Helpful Resources

Immigroup statistics for Citizenship Certificate service
  • Average processing time for Canadian Citizenship Certificate regular filing: 6 months
  • Average processing time for Certificate of Canadian Citizenship urgent filing: 20-30 business days
  • Average processing time for Canadian Citizenship Certificate top priority filing: 15 business days
  • Mistakes made by Immigroup per 100 applications: 0%
  • Updated - monthly on the same date, by 3rd day of month
  • More info
  • We guarantee our work More info
  • 6 month – card replacement guarantee More info
  • If you require a consultation, receive a credit for the entire consult fee More info

Print Application


Start your service with Immigroup

Cost of Service

Including legal & government fees

Regular Service

  • Processing Time: 6 months
  • Service Fee: $249.00
  • HST: $23.37
  • Government Fee: $75.00
  • TOTAL: $356.37*

Urgent Service

  • Processing Time: 20-30 business days
  • Service Fee: $450.00
  • HST: $58.50
  • Government Fee: $75.00
  • Courier Fee: $26.00
  • TOTAL: $609.50*

Top Priority Service

  • Processing Time: 15 business days
  • Service Fee: $800.00
  • HST: $104.00
  • Government Fee: $75.00
  • Courier Fee: $26.00
  • TOTAL: $1,005.00*

* Photos can be taken at our office for $10
* Certificate can be couriered to you for $26 (inside Canada)
* Courier fees may be greater if you are applying from outside of Canada
Cancellation fees apply once work has begun on a file.


Service types

Select one that suits you best.

Apply Online
By Phone
Walk-in Service
Mail-in Service
  • Apply Online

    1. Complete the form online.
    2. Securely pay through Paypal
    3. Receive your Canadian citizenship certificate in the mail

    Start Application

  • By Phone at 416-962-2623 / 866-760-2623

    1. Call us toll free.
    2. Complete the Canadian citizenship certificate application and send to one of our representatives for processing
    3. Receive your certificate of Canadian citizenship in the mail
  • Walk-in Service (Toronto)

    Our office is open between 9:00am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday, and appointments are available between 9:30am – 4:15 pm. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. Please note that while walk-ins are welcome, priority is given to clients with appointments. Expected appointment length is one hour.

    Please have the following documents with you. All necessary documents are listed.

    1. Valid Citizenship Document
      • Birth Certificate with photo ID
      • Certificate of Indian Status
      • Naturalization certificate
      • Certificate of Retention of Canadian Citizenship
    2. Proof of Residency (if applicable)
    3. Proof of current residence
      •  Driver’s License
      • Provincial / Territorial Photo ID Card
      • Health Card
      • PR Card
      • Any document with your name and current address
    4. Work / Study Permit or visa (if applicable)

    At our office we will do the following:

    • Fill out the entire application
    • Make a full copy of your application
    • Help you troubleshoot problems

    After filling:

    • We will contact you to schedule your interview if you are pre-approved. The interview must be scheduled within 30 days of approval but your appointment date does not need to be within these 30 days.
    • If you are not approved, we will advise you of what steps you can take to appeal within 30 days.
    • After your interview, your Canadian citizenship certificate will be mailed to the address you provided on your application.

    Print Application

  • Mail-in Service - Worldwide

    1. Download our simplified instructions and application by clicking here
    2. Follow the instructions. Please complete one (1) certificate of Canadian citizenship application per person. Please ensure there are no gaps in your address history and employment timelines.
    3. Fax or email all forms and copies of documents to us for a quick review, or mail your application and copies of supporting documents to our office at: 1180 Danforth Avenue, Toronto, ON M4J 1M3
    4. Immigroup will notify you when your application has been pre-approved or rejected. If you have been approved we will schedule your interview.
    5. After your interview, you will receive your Canadian citizenship certificate in the mail at the address you provided on your application.

    Print Application



  • I am a naturalized Citizen of Canada. I have lost my Citizenship Card. Have I lost my status?
    You cannot lose your Canadian Citizenship unless you misrepresented yourself when you immigrated to Canada or when you applied for Citizenship. You can replace your citizenship card with the new certificate of Canadian Citizenship by completing this form.
  • Request for urgent processing of your Canadian Citizenship Certificate
    • Mail your application by registered mail, Xpresspost, or courier.
    • Please note that urgent processing is entirely at the officer’s discretion.
    • If you are unsure whether your application may be processed urgently, contact our office.
  • Name change
    If your name has changed since your card or certificate was issued, and you want to change the information on it, you will need to provide proof of your legal name change through a marriage certificate or a legal name change document
  • Incorrect date of birth
    Your date of birth is listed incorrectly on your card / certificate, you can apply to have it changed.
    • If your Record of Landing was the source of the mistake, you must make a Request to Amend the Record of Landing before you attempt to make the change to your certificate
    • Some provinces will let you fix your incorrect birth date, and then you can apply to have it fixed on your certificate. Not all provinces allow this (Ontario and Quebec will not) so you must contact your Provincial or Territorial Registrar. See here for a list of Provincial Registrars.
  • Your Embassy or Consulate will not provide your passport before you obtain / provide your Citizenship Card / Certificate first
    Fortunately you do not need your passport of your other nationality to replace your Citizenship Card / Certificate. You can apply for a replacement and then apply for the passport from your other country of citizenship.
  • Your application has been returned to you by the processing centre
    • If you do not understand the officer’s instructions, contact us for assistance
    • If you understand the officer’s instructions, fix all mistakes noted by the officer and follow their instructions
    • Double check the entirety of your application to ensure there are no other mistakes
    • Return the entire application to CIC including the letter and instructions sent to you
    • Put the package to the attention of the officer who returned your application
  • You need to check the status of your certificate application
    This can be done through CIC’s website or you can contact CIC by phone.
  • You have received a letter from CIC requesting additional information for your application
    • If you do not understand the officer's instructions, contact us for a consultation.
    • If you do understand the officer's instructions, include the requested documents and return the application to CIC.
  • You are unable to provide all or part of the information CIC has requested
    • If you have part of the information CIC has requested, you may submit this with an explanation of why you are unable to provide everything. It is at the officer’s discretion whether to accept the documentation provided.
    • If you are unsure of what to do, you can always contact us for a consultation.
    • If you are unable to provide any of the information requested, you may withdraw your application by advising CIC in writing that you wish to do this.
    • You may also abandon your application by simply not responding to CIC’s letter.
  • You have already submitted your application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada but now you need to your new certificate faster
    Submit a new application to supersede the old one and provide proof of urgency. It is the officer’s discretion as to whether they accept or reject your proof of urgency.
  • You have never had a citizenship card or certificate
    You should be applying for your first Citizenship Certificate instead
  • You want to get a refund for fees paid to CIC
    • Contact CIC in writing to request the refund.
    • Contact the CIC call centre for more information at 1-888-242-2100


Filing an application FAQs

  • What is a Citizenship Card / Certificate?
    A Citizenship Card was the old proof of Canadian Citizenship issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. It has been replaced by the Citizenship Certifcate, though either is acceptable proof of your status. The Card / Certificate is proof of your citizenship if you are a naturalized Canadian Citizen (you swore the oath), if you were born to Canadian parents overseas, or if you applied for it to have proof in addition to your Birth Certificate. You can use either the Card or the Certificate to take advantage of your benefits as a Canadian Citizen. Use it to
    • apply for a passport
    • apply for government issued ID
    • vote
    • work and study here as a citizen
    • buy properties
  • How do I get a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship?
    To get one directly you should apply using CIC’s website. Fill out the forms and mail them to the processing centre with the fee.
    If you would like to use Immigroup to file your Canadian Citizenship Certificate application, download the forms and submit them to our office by fax (416-640-2650), email, mail, courier, or in person . If you are using a service like Immigroup’s, you will need to complete a "Use of Representative" (IMM 5476), included in our package.
  • Where do I mail my Canadian Citizenship Certificate Application to?

    If you would like our office to assist you with the application, address your package to:
    Immigroup Inc.
    1180 Danforth Avenue
    Toronto ON
    M4J 1M3

    If you are sending your application directly to CIC by regular mail, you should address the package to:
    Case Processing Centre – Sydney
    Proof of Citizenship
    P.O. Box 10000
    SYDNEY, NS B1P 7C1

    However, if you are sending your application by courier, you should address the package to:
    Case Processing Centre, Sydney
    Proof of Citizenship
    47-49 Dorchester Street
    Sydney, NS
    B1P 5Z2

  • I am new Canadian Citizen, when will I get my Certificate?
    You get your Canadian Citizenship Certificate directly after you take the oath of Citizenship and relinquish your PR Card.
  • How do I pay the Certificate fee?
    All CIC fees must be paid in Canadian dollars. You can pay the $75 fee in one of two ways:
    • Online with
      • A Visa, Mastercard or American Express credit card
      • A printer and
      • An email address
    • In person at a Canadian financial institution. In order to do so you must get an original fee receipt (IMM 5401) from CIC.
    • If you live overseas, and you cannot pay online, you will have to pay where you are applying, as you cannot pay at a Canadian financial institution. You cannot pay by personal cheque at a visa office or embassy.
  • How long does it take to get a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship?
    The current processing time for a regular application is 6 months.
  • Can I speed up the processing of my application?
    If you require your Canadian citizenship certificate urgently, it may be possible to expedite the processing of your application. Contact us to determine if you meet the requirements. It may be possible to receive your certificate in as little as 10 – 15 business days.
  • What are the Certificate photo requirements?
    The photos should measure 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8? x 1 3/4?). The photos can be either black and white or color. Photos must have been taken within the last 6 months to ensure an up-to-date likeness. You must be facing the camera directly, with a neutral expression. The back of the photo should bear the date the photo was taken. You should take the photo specifications with you to the photographer.

    Photograph and head size specifications

    Photo Requirements
    • The face must be square to the camera with a neutral expression, neither frowning nor smiling, with the mouth closed.
    • If the photographs do not meet the specifications, you will have to provide new photographs before your application can be processed.


    • Provide two (2) identical citizenship photographs (except Renunciation applications, where only one (1) photo is required.)
    • Your photographs must comply with the specifications below. If the photographs do not meet the specifications, you will have to provide new photographs before your application can be processed.
    • Photographs must be printed on quality photographic paper.
    • Provide the name of the photographer or the studio, the studio address and the date the photos were taken on the back of the photos
    • Print the name of the person on the back of the photos.


    • The photographs must be identical and taken within the last six months. They may be either black and white or colour.
    • The photographs must be clear, well defined and taken against a plain white or light-coloured background.
    • If the photographs are digital, they must not be altered in any way.
    • Your face must be square to the camera with a neutral expression, neither frowning nor smiling, and with your mouth closed.
    • You may wear non-tinted prescription glasses as long as your eyes are clearly visible. Make sure that the frame does not cover any part of your eyes. Sunglasses are not acceptable.
    • A hairpiece or other cosmetic accessory is acceptable if it does not disguise your normal appearance.
    • If you must wear a head covering for religious reasons, make sure your full facial features are not obscured.
    Citizenship Photo Size
    • The frame size must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8? x 1 3/4?).
    • The photographs must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.
    • The size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31 mm (1 1/4?) and 36 mm (1 7/16?).
    • Crown means the top of the head or (if obscured by hair or a head covering) where the top of the head or skull would be if it could be seen.
    • If the photographs do not meet the specifications, you will have to provide new photographs before your application can be processed.
  • How do I check the status of my application once it has been sent to CIC?
    Immigroup can help you check the status of your application as it is processing. Please contact us for assistance.
    You may also check the status of your application by visiting CIC’s website. You must have the following information to check the status of your application online:
    • The applicant’s date of birth
    • The applicant’s country of birth
    • The applicant’s last name
    • ONE of the following:
      • Applicant’s client ID number
      • Applicant’s Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence number
      • Applicant’s IMM5401 receipt of payment number for the receipt submitted with the application
      • Applicant’s Immigration File number
      • Applicant’s Permanent Resident Card number
      • Applicant’s Citizenship Receipt number
      • Applicant’s Citizenship File number
    Without this information you will not be able to check the status of your application. If you are missing the required documentation and / or you would like assistance with this process please contact us at Immigroup at 1-866-760-2623.
  • Can I replace my Certificate from outside of Canada?
    Yes, you can. You can apply at a Canadian visa office or Embassy or you can apply directly to CIC if you are using Canadian or American IDs to support your identity.
  • What’s the difference between a first Certificate and a replacement?
    If you lost or damaged your original Citizenship Card (or Certificate) issued to you at your naturalization, or had it stolen, then your application is for a replacement certificate.
    If you have never had a Citizenship Card (or Certificate) because you were born in Canada or you were born to Canadian parents overseas, and you want proof of your Canadian Citizenship, then you need to apply for your first certificate.
  • How do I know if I’m a Canadian Citizen?
    If you were born in Canada, or born to Canadian parents in another country*, you are a Canadian Citizen. If you were naturalized, meaning you took the citizenship test (unless you were a minor at the time), and swore the citizenship oath in front of a judge, you are a Canadian Citizen. If neither applies to you, you are not a Canadian citizen.
    * If your birth was not registered at the nearest Canadian diplomatic mission you may not be a Canadian Citizen if you were born before 1977. You may need to apply for ministerial permission to become a Canadian citizen through the 2009 citizenship regulation changes.
  • What if I don’t have enough IDs to apply to replace my card / certificate?
    You may still be able to apply for a replacement Canadian citizenship certificate. Please contact our office for more information.
  • What if all my IDs are expired?
    You can only apply with valid IDs. You will have to renew them before you apply.
  • Why do I need to provide my old certificate to update it?
    As a Canadian Citizen, you are only allowed to hold one proof of citizenship at a time, just like you are only allowed to hold one Canadian Passport at a time. Holding more than one document proving your Canadian citizenship is against the law, so if you are in possession of the old document you must submit it with your application to update the information.
  • I live overseas but I don’t want to apply through my local Embassy. Can I apply through CIC in Canada?
    Yes you can, provided you are using Canadian or American issued IDs to support your identity. If your identification documents (besides passports) were issued outside Canada or the USA, you must apply through the Canadian consulate closest to you in order for your IDs to be authenticated.
  • Can I come to Canada on a different passport in order to replace my card / certificate?
    Yes you can, however, if nationals from your country require a visa to enter Canada, then you will need to acquire a visa to enter on your foreign passport even though you are a Canadian citizen because you do not have proof of your Canadian citizenship. Do nationals from your country need a visa to enter Canada?
  • How much longer does it take to process my application if I apply from an Embassy, High Commission or Consulate?
    The regular processing time in Canada is about 5-6 months. Applying through a Canadian embassy or consulate adds 3 – 4 months to the processing time..
  • Why does it take longer when I apply from overseas?
    It takes longer because CIC has to do more work to authenticate your non-Canadian IDs. It will usually take another 3-4 months on top of the regular processing time.
  • How can I stop the processing of a replacement Certificate of Canadian Citizenship?
    You should contact CIC and ask that your application be withdrawn.

I am in big trouble - HELP! FAQs

  • How do I get back to Canada if I have no passport and no proof of citizenship?
    You will need to apply for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and then you will have to use that to get a passport or an emergency travel document through the Canadian consulate in the country where you are located.
  • What if my Citizenship Card / Certificate is lost, destroyed, or stolen?
    You will need to replace it by applying for a replacement Citizenship Certificate.
  • My application was sent back to me. What do I do?
    If you do not understand why the application was returned to you, contact us to determine how we can make sure your application is processed.
  • If you understand why your application was sent back to you, do the following:
    • Correct all mistakes indicated by the officer and follow any instructions
    • Double check your entire application to make sure there are no other errors
    • Return the whole application back to CIC with the letter and instructions attached
    • Send the package to the attention of the officer who sent your application back to you
  • I need to change my birth date as listed on my Canadian citizenship certificate.
    If the mistake was on your Record of Landing, you must file a Request to Amend the Record of Landing with CIC. After you receive the result you may then apply for an updated citizenship certificate and request the amended date of birth to be listed.
    Some provinces will let you fix the mistake by applying to change your date of birth officially through the registrar general of that province, and then you can apply to have it fixed on your citizenship certificate. Not all provinces will do this (Ontario and Quebec will not) so you must contact your Registrar. See here for a list of Provincial Registrars.
  • I have not received my new Citizenship Certificate and it has been over six months since I applied.
    You should contact CIC as soon as possible for an update on your application.
  • I have a criminal record. Will I lose my citizenship if I apply to replace my card?
    No, you cannot lose your Canadian citizenship because you have a criminal record. The only way you can lose your citizenship is if you acquired it through misrepresenting yourself on your PR and Citizenship applications.
  • I misrepresented myself (lied on my application) when I immigrated / when I applied for citizenship. Can I lose my citizenship?
    It is now possible to lose your citizenship if you misrepresented yourself when you became a Permanent Resident or when you became a citizen. If this is discovered it is possible that the government of Canada will look into revoking your citizenship. You should contact Immigroup for a consultation.
  • I am overseas. My passport expired and I don’t have any proof of citizenship with me.
    You will need to apply for a replacement Citizenship Certificate before you can get your new passport or an emergency travel document. Without this proof of citizenship you will not be able to come back to Canada because you will not be able to replace your passport or get an emergency travel document.
    An emergency travel document is a temporary travel document for Canadian citizens trying to return to Canada from overseas without a passport. You need proof of citizenship to get one.
  • My certificate is extremely old. Do I have to replace it?
    Citizenship Certificates and Cards do not have an expiry date. If your Certificate is still in acceptable condition, you do not have to replace it. If it is damaged or if it is unreadable you do have to replace it because the government will not accept it as proof you are a Canadian citizen.
  • Why can’t I use my commemoration to prove my citizenship?
    The commemoration of your citizenship ceremony which you received after taking the oath is not an official proof of citizenship. It does not contain the security features that the certificate contains, and it is not acceptable as proof when applying for government benefits or for trying to prove your status. The commemoration and certificate are not the same thing.
  • I found my lost Citizenship Card. Is my replacement Certificate still valid?
    The replacement certificate is your valid proof of citizenship and the old document is no longer valid as you would have declared it lost to apply for the new certificate. You should send the old card to CIC as you are not legally allowed to carry two proofs.

Using Immigroup FAQs

  • Why should I use Immigroup?
    • We have helped thousands of clients with citizenship matters. This gives us the experience that you can utilize.
    • We make sure that we submit the best possible application for every single client.
    • We have been in business since 2004.
    • Our staff members have years of experience in the immigration field.
    • You can call us between 8:00am and 6:00pm Eastern Standard Time and speak to a live professional.
    • More than half a million people visit www.immigroup.com each year to use our great tools and information.
    • Our legal fees are disclosed on our website. Not many law firms are willing to do that!
    • We make it easy for you to get started on your application by email, phone, or fax.
    • Customer service, sound and ethical advice are our highest priority. Once you have used us you will feel the difference knowledge, service, and loyalty makes.
    • We think outside the box to help you with your case, but we don’t take clients on just because they can pay! Expect an honest opinion – we will advise you if applying is not in your best interest. Click here to see our firm’s application statistics
    • We go out on a limb to give you the highest level of service.
    • We don’t take short cuts - we are perfectionists!
  • I am traveling and need my certificate fast. How quickly can you get it?
    Top priority applicants usually receive their Citizenship Certificate within 10 – 15 business days of filing. Urgent filing applicants usually receive their Citizenship Certificate within 20-30 business days of filing. Please note that it is the CIC officer’s decision whether your proof of urgency is accepted or not. Please click here for our most up to date statistics and disclaimer.
  • Can you guarantee everything will work out if I use you?
    No application has a guaranteed successful outcome whether you submit it yourself, use our company, or hire the most expensive lawyer in Canada. However, the great thing about Immigroup is that you can see statistics of the success rate of our past applications. If your Citizenship Certificate does not come in the time frame, we will refund the difference between urgent and regular service. Click here for detailed statistics
  • What if Immigroup makes a mistake on my application?
    Immigroup has the highest standards in hiring and training. Mistakes that effect the processing time of your application are extremely rare. However, if Immigroup makes a mistake on your application which causes a delay in processing, we will take full responsibility and process a refund appropriate to the situation. Click here to see statistics on these incidents and our terms of reimbursement to you.
  • Do I have to use Immigroup?
    You do not have to use a representative for your Citizenship Certificate application or any application.
  • Why should I hire Immigroup when I can do the application on my own?
    You can definitely do any application on your own without hiring a company to help you. However, when you use Immigroup, you gain these advantages over people who do it themselves:
    • You can be completely sure that the best possible application was submitted. This means that there will be no mistakes, errors, or omissions which could cause delays or refusals of an application.
    • This also means that Immigroup will offer you the most ethical and sound advice regarding your application. We will tell you if something in your application works against you or could cause problems in the future.
    • Immigroup has years of experience which can be leveraged in your favor to know what works and what doesn’t in an application.
    • Using Immigroup will also save you time because you don’t have to fight with the government to submit an application or follow up on it. You can simply call or email any time you want to know the status of your application.
    • Immigroup offers 20% off our service fee for every additional application.
    • Immigroup offers 20% off our service fee for returning clients.
  • Can you give me free support or where can I get free support?
    We are committed to helping everyone with their immigration needs. This is why www.immigroup.com offers free tools and information to answer all types of immigration questions. We have also accumulated a database of free government and non-for-profit agency information which can be searched: click here and start searching. Immigroup does charge a fee for all services, but we are always looking for feedback on how we can further help our community. Our email address is info@immigroup.com
  • I have one important question, but I don’t need the full service. What can I do?
    You can easily search our database of FAQs. However, if you still can’t find the answer to your question, email us your question and you will receive a response within 2 business days. Depending on the complexity of your question, you may be advised to schedule a consultation with one of our immigration practitioners to ensure that you receive the best advice. The cost for a consultation is $84.75 (tax included) which is up to 30 minutes; however, if you retain Immigroup for a full service after the consultation, this fee well be deducted from the cost of the service. Consultations are available in person at our Toronto office or by phone. (Other options are available for hearing-impaired persons.) Call us at 1-866-760-2623 or email at info@immigroup.com to schedule your consultation. Click here for more information.
  • I called your office and did not get the answer I needed. What can I do?
    Only general information is available when you call our office. If you are still unsure how you should proceed, contact us to schedule a consultation to discuss the details of your specific case. Click here for more info.
  • How can I check the status of my application?
    Checking the status of your certificate application is simple. If you have filed an urgent application, please contact us 30 business days after your application has been submitted. For a regular citizenship certificate application you may contact us after 6 months to check the status. You can check the status using one of two methods:
    1. By phone
      Contact our office during business hours and state you are a citizenship certificate client that needs a status check on your application. We will confirm your contact information and then contact you within one business day to advise of the status of your application.
    2. By email
      Email us at info@immigoup.com and advise us that you are a current client and you would like to check the status of your application. Your message should contain following:
      • applicant’s first and last name,
      • type of service: the subject should be citizenship certificate status check
  • I used Immigroup but I lost my Citizenship Certificate. Do I have to do the entire process again?
    Yes, the application process will have to be completed once again. The good news is we have a copy of your application, so this will speed up the process. Also please note that if you lost your card 6 months from the date you paid we will offer you a 50% discount on our service fees.
  • Do you offer any discounts?
    Yes, returning clients are offered a 20% discount on our service fees. Clients who submit multiple applications are also offered a 20% discount on any additional services after the first application.
  • I need your help, but I can’t afford the fees? Can you help?
    We do our best to keep things affordable, but unfortunately we are unable to offer any discounts in addition to the ones above.
  • My case is complex, are you the right firm to use?
    Immigroup is an industry leader in Citizenship Certificate application processing and assistance.In addition to Citizenship Certificate applications, we also have years of experience processing much more complicated. When it comes to Citizenship Certificate applications our firm is the leading firm processing these applications. You can rest assured you are in good hands. If we feel something is out of our understanding the agent will let you know.
  • Do you know something that the government does not?
    No, but we have 8 years of experience dealing with Citizenship Certificate applications. We are aware of changes in the application procedure as they happen, and we know what CIC will accept and what they won’t, which is sometimes not exactly what is listed on their website. Immigroup has lots of experience with out of the ordinary issues regarding Citizenship Certificates. Please see our knowledge and experience in these areas:
    • Request for urgent processing of your Citizenship Certificate More Info
    • Name change or date of birth issues More Info
    • Lack of sufficient supporting documents to apply More Info
    • The Embassy or Consulate will not provide your passport before you obtain the Certificate of Citizenship first More Info
    • Your application has been returned to you be the processing centre More Info
    • You need to check the status of your application More Info
    • You have already submitted your application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada but now need to travel and you need it urgently expedited More Info
  • Can I pay you in installments?
    Yes, you may pay a minimum deposit of the consultation fee to start your case. The balance must be paid in full before the application can be submitted.
  • Do I pay you when I get my card?
    Your fees must be paid in full before your application is submitted to CIC.
  • Do you work weekends or evenings?
    You may call our office between 8:00am and 6:00pm Eastern Time every day of Mon-Fri, or you may come in person between 9:30am and 4:15pm Mon-Fri. You may drop your documents at the Toronto office 24 hours a day in our drop box. You may also leave a voicemail at 1-866-760-2623 or send an email 24 hours a day at info@immigroup.com and you will receive a response within one business day. To meet with an immigration practitioner outside of these hours, please contact us during business hours to schedule an appointment at a time convenient to you.
  • How accurate is your website?
    We strive to maintain accurate and up to date information on our website by getting up to the minute news from CIC and other government agencies. However, you should always confirm information before acting on it to ensure its accuracy.
  • I had something happen to me that is not posted on this webpage
    Great, we really would love to hear from you and what happened. By sending us your experience you are helping others in the future. We post all information that will be valued by future visitors.
  • I can’t find an answer to my question
    Send us an email or enter your question in the box below and we will get back to you within one business day.

Basic info FAQ’s

  • What is Canadian Citizenship?
    Canadian Citizenship is a nationality and a right acquired by being born in Canada, by being born to Canadian parents overseas, or being naturalized (taking the oath of citizenship). A Canadian citizen can vote in Canadian elections, run for office in Canada, work and study and Canada, serve in the Canadian military, and receive government benefits, among other rights and privileges. Canadian Citizens are allowed to travel on a Canadian Passport. As a Canadian citizen, you will also be eligible for jury duty.
  • Photo of current citizenship certificate
  • History of Canadian Citizenship
    Originally, Canadian citizenship was similar to British citizenship since all Canadians were subjects of the British Crown. At Confederation, the Canadian Parliament was given control over citizenship and immigration. In 1910, the first mention of “Canadian Citizen” appears in law. Canadian Citizens were born in Canada, naturalized in Canada, or even British who moved to Canada. But this only meant that these people didn’t have to undergo immigration controls. In 1914, it became slightly harder to naturalize in Canada: the residence requirement changed from three to five years. In 1921, the notion of Canadian Nationality (and hence citizenship) was finally put into law as a separate thing from British nationality.
    In 1931 Canada finally gained full legislative independence from Britain but retained various rules about citizenship inherited from Britain. This continued until the Canadian Citizenship Act of 1946. If you were a British subject living in Canada at this time, you most likely became a Canadian citizen. This also applies to British Subjects living in Newfoundland when Newfoundland joined Canada three years later in 1949.
    The biggest change in Canadian citizenship regulations occurred in 1977. These new rules legalized dual citizenship in Canada and also made it official that anyone born in Canada after 1947 was automatically a Canadian citizen (unless they were the child of a foreign diplomat). This is proved through the issuance of a birth certificate. The other effect of the new law was that children born to Canadian parents overseas became Canadian at birth, having only to apply for proof of their citizenship. Additionally, if you were the son or daughter of the son or daughter of a Canadian born overseas (i.e. second generation) you could still claim your citizenship if you applied to do so before your 28th birthday.
    In 2009 this last rule changed. Citizenship by descent (outside of Canada) now only applies to the first generation but there is no need to apply or register your status. For those second generation children born after April 17, 2009, who are now not Canadian citizens (even if they have siblings born before April 17, who are Canadian citizens), these children can become Canadian Citizens if they first become Permanent Residents. They do not need to wait the usual three years to apply for citizenship.
    These new changes also affected adoption. Foreigners adopted by Canadian Citizens in Canada now become Canadian Citizens at the time of the adoption.
  • History of the Citizenship Certificate
    There used to be many different ways to prove Canadian citizenship. Before 1977, those who were born in Canada can prove their citizenship through a birth certificate only if they also didn’t lose their citizenship under the pre-1977 rules. Those born overseas before 1977 to a Canadian need a certificate of registration of birth and a Certificate of Retention of Canada Citizenship. Those naturalized before 1977 received a Certificate of Naturalization as proof. At this time, if you lost your Certificate of Naturalization, it was replaced with a pink copy. This copy is no longer acceptable proof of citizenship.
    After 1977 Canada issued a photo ID Citizenship Card [photo]. It contained the citizen’s picture, name, height and eye colour. This was in place until February 2012. Because they didn’t have to be updated, they weren’t very good IDs.
    The photo ID card has been replaced by a Citizenship Certificate, an 8” x 11” double-side piece of paper that contains more security features than the old card. The Coat of Arms of Canada is on the front and a machine-readable barcode is on the back. Both the old Card and the new Certificate are proof of citizenship. It also helps ensure that people will stop trying to use their Citizenship Cards as IDs. Of course, if you were naturalized before the Card came into effect; a Certificate of Naturalization is proof of citizenship, provided it is still in good condition.
    A person who is a permanent resident may apply for Canadian citizenship by naturalization (grant) subject to the conditions outlined by CIC.
    A Canadian passport, though seen as proof of Canadian citizenship outside of Canada, is not normally acceptable proof of citizenship when dealing with Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
    Your citizenship commemoration is different than your Citizenship Certificate and is not proof of citizenship by itself.
  • How do I become naturalized?
    Please see Right of Citizenship. You can become a citizen of Canada through naturalization if you are over 18 and
    • are a permanent resident
    • you have lived in Canada for a total of 1095 days during the four years preceding your application for citizenship, including two years as a permanent resident
    • have knowledge of Canada (as demonstrated by taking a test, which is required as part of the application process, but only if the applicant is between 18 and 54 years of age)
    • have proof of your knowledge of the English or French language
    • are not a subject to any criminal prohibitions
    • you are not a war criminal
    • you are able to speak English or French well enough to communicate with people[8]
    If you are a child, you have fewer requirements:
    • you should be a permanent resident
    • your parent should be a Canadian citizen or in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship
    If you are 14 or over you must attend a citizenship ceremony as the final stage of their application.
  • How do I lose my citizenship?
    In 1977, the new rules made it impossible to give up your citizenship without officially renouncing it. However, new laws mean you could lose your citizenship if you are convicted for fraud regarding your immigration admission or your citizenship application.
    You could have lost your citizenship before 1977 if you
    • were naturalized in another (dual citizenship wasn’t legal in Canada)
    • lived outside of Canada for a prolonged period of time
    • if your parent lost their citizenship while you were a child
    In 2007 efforts were made to help those who had lost their citizenship prior to 1977. By the new citizenship rules of 2009, it was possible to regain your Canadian citizenship if you could claim it by descent.
  • Who is eligible for a Citizenship Certificate?
    Canadian citizens are eligible to apply.
  • What is the cost for a Citizenship Certificate?
    The application fee for a PR Card is $75 CDN. The cost of the Citizenship Certificate using Immigroup depends on the processing time. Please see the fee grid above.
  • What is a Record of Landing (IMM 1000)?
    This paper document is literally the record of your landing in Canada as an immigrant. If you were naturalized, you would have received one at the time you landed in Canada.
  • Can I laminate my certificate?
    Laminating your certificate or altering it in any other way is considered damaging it. If you have laminated it, it will not be accepted by Passport Canada or other federal agencies and you must apply to replace it.
  • Can I fold my certificate?
    No, you cannot alter your certificate in anyway. If you do so, it may be refused as proof of citizenship by Passport Canada and other federal agencies.
  • Why is a photocopy not acceptable proof of citizenship?
    Your Citizenship Card or Certificate is official proof that you are a citizen of Canada. They both have embedded security features that make them difficult to forge. A photocopy is just a piece of paper; it lacks the security features of your Card or Certificate and it is much easier to fake. Always use the real thing when applying for your privileges as a Canadian citizen, unless the application you are submitting specifically requires a copy.
  • I have a pink paper. Isn’t that proof of citizenship?
    The pink copy of your naturalization certificate is not acceptable proof. You will need to apply for a new certificate.

Ask Questions