About This Site

Thank you for visiting Immigroup, an immigration law firm. This site combines free government information alongside paid assistance; you choose what works best for you. We are not affiliated with any government body. We present government information with simplified language, making everything quick to find and easy to learn about. We have put the services of many jurisdictions in one place. You can find all government services at a lower cost on the official websites. We link you to the official source. If you choose assistance from Immigroup, we outline the benefits on the service webpage. For example, every application is reviewed before filing, and each client gets full call-centre support and clarification of the law and how it applies to their case. Additional benefits can be found on the service page. We invite you to see our complete disclaimer; please click here

10 Years in Business - Ask Us About Our Success Rate

CALL CENTER • Mon-Fri 8:00AM - 6:00PM EST
HEAD OFFICE • Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST

Toll free: 1•866•760•2623
Call Us: (416) 962-2623
Email Us: info@immigroup.com
Call center: Mon-Fri 8:00AM - 6:00PM EST
Office: Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM EST


Do you need to get a UK passport?

Let us guide you through the process and complex British nationality law.

Get the Process Started

UK Passport Renewal or Replacement in Canada

How to get a British passport from within Canada

Renewing your UK Passport

Regular adult UK Passports expire every ten years and children’s passports expire every 5 years. If you do not renew yours before it expires or within a few years of its expiration, you will have to provide original documents as if you had never been issued a passport at the time you decide to renew.

UK passports can no longer be renewed within Canada. Since 2009 all regular passport applications for applicants living in North or South America or the Caribbean are processed through the UK Passport Service Centre for the Americas and the Caribbean at the British Embassy in Washington DC.

Using the Government Directly
  • Passport fees start at US$211 before courier charges.
  • Please click here for the UK government's passport pages.
  • NOTE: If you apply directly with the government, please remember that the UK embassy and Passport Service does not offer walk-in service - all applications must be mailed or couriered to the processing centre.
  • The UK Embassy will not pre-review your application to ensure the forms and documents are correct before filing; all applications must be completed in full before being sent to the government.
What we do for you if you purchase our service:
  • Immigroup service fee charges are $225 pus taxes and $310 government and courier fees.
  • We review every part of your application to ensure it is complete, accurate and mistake-free; the government doesn't do this.
  • We complete the application for you if you require it; the government does not do this.
  • We advise you of any additional steps you need to take and of any additional documentation you must provide; the government will only email you if you are missing something, provided you have submitted the application correctly, and this will delay your application; you will not be able to contact them.
  • We advise you of any problems you may encounter from filing the application; the government does not do this.
  • We verify all supporting documentation prior to submission; the government will only tell you if you are missing something after you submitted the application.
  • We give you unlimited business-hours phone support from 8am-6pm EST; you can only contact the government through pay-per-minute hotline or a pay-per-chat service.
  • We respond to most questions within 1 business day; the government will not respond to emails.
  • We submit your application to the government for you.
  • We track the status of your application for you.
Immigroup is a private company. We are not the government. All application forms can be found for free on the relevant government websites. Applying with a private company such as Immigroup entails service fees in addition to the fees charged by the relevant government agency. Experts will review, finalize, and submit all applications.

  • Eligibility
    In order to renew your British passport, you must have been issued one previously. This also means you are a British national under one of the following categories:
    • British Citizen
    • British Overseas Territories Citizen
    • British Overseas Citizen
    • British Subject
    • British Protected Person
    • British National (Overseas)

    British nationality alone, and possession of a British passport, does not automatically entitle you to live permanently in the United Kingdom. The passport holder must also have the “right of abode” such as that held by British citizens.

  • How long is my passport valid for?
    An adult passport is valid for 10 years and a child’s passport (issued to those 15 years old and under) is valid for 5 years.
  • Why can’t I renew my British passport within Canada?
    In 2009 the UK Foreign Office amalgamated its passport services in many countries, including Canada. Regular passports applications are now received by the British Embassy in Washington DC. Only emergency travel documents are still issued in Canada.
  • My passport is still valid. Why do I have to submit my passport with my application?
    Your valid passport is required proof of identity when you submit your application. You must submit the original passport in order to get the new one. If your passport has been lost, you must complete an additional application form and submit additional documentation with your application.
  • When should I renew my passport?
    As a rule, you should renew your passport between 6 and 12 months before it expires because many countries throughout the world will not grant visas or entry to someone with fewer than six months’ validity left on their passport.
  • Can I get my passport renewed urgently?
    Normally, you cannot expedite this process. Only under the most urgent circumstances such as a death in the family will it even be considered. Even if you submit proof of this, it is still at the discretion of the officer whether or not to speed up your application.
  • Can I still use Immigroup to assist with my UK passport application if I live outside Canada?
    Yes, Immigroup has clients all over the world and we can help with your UK passport application regardless of which country you live in.

Helpful Resources

Start your service with Immigroup

Cost of Service

Including legal & government fees

  • Processing Time: 4-8 Weeks
  • Service Fee: $225.00
  • HST: $29.25
  • Passport Fee: $340.00*
  • TOTAL: $594.25**

* Passport fees include courier fees and are subject to change
** Government, tax and service fees included and one courier
Cancellation fees apply once your order has been processed

Lost or Stolen Passport Applications carry an additional fee.


Service types

Select one that suits you best.

Apply Online
By Phone
Walk-in Service
Mail-in Service
  • Apply Online

    1. Complete the form online.
    2. Securely pay through Paypal
    3. Immigroup will contact you for further documentation
    4. Receive your passport in the mail

    Start Application

  • By Phone: 416-962-2623 / 866-760-2623

    1. Call us toll free.
    2. Complete the passport application and send to one of our representatives for processing
    3. Receive your passport in the mail
  • Walk-in Service (Toronto)

    Our office is open between 9:00am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday, and appointments are available between 9:30am – 4:15 pm. Please contact us to schedule an appointment (Address and contact info). Please note that while walk-ins are welcome, priority is given to clients with appointments. Expected appointment length is one hour.

    Please have the following documents with you. All necessary documents are listed.

    1. Valid Citizenship Document
    2. Proof of Residency (if applicable)
    3. Proof of current residence
      •  Driver’s License
      • Provincial / Territorial Photo ID Card
      • Health Card
      • PR Card
      • Any document with your name and current address
    4. Work / Study Permit or visa (if applicable)

    At our office we will do the following:

    • Fill out the entire application
    • Make a full copy of your application
    • Help you troubleshoot problems

    After filling:

    Print Application

  • Mail-in Service - Worldwide

    1. Download our simplified instructions and application by clicking here
    2. Follow the instructions. Please complete one (1) UK passport application per person. Please ensure there are no gaps in your address history and employment timelines.
    3. Fax or email all forms and copies of documents to us for a quick review, or mail your application and copies of supporting documents to our office at: 1180 Danforth Avenue, Toronto, ON M4J 1M3
    4. Immigroup will notify you when your application has been pre-approved or rejected. If you have been approved we will schedule your interview.
    5. After your interview, you will receive your passport in the mail at the address you provided on your application.

    Print Application



  • Traveling while your UK Passport Application is processing
    Because you have to submit your last passport with the application, you normally cannot travel on it while your new passport is in processing. If you have dual citizenship, you should travel on your other passport. If you find out you need to travel while the Passport Service Centre is reviewing your application, and you do not have dual citizenship, you can always apply for an emergency travel document at the nearest UK diplomatic mission.
  • I lost my passport
    If you lost your passport you have to complete a “Lost or Stolen Passport Notification Form” in addition to the regular application. It is included in the application package. To make replacing your passport simpler, you should always notify both the police and the nearest UK diplomatic mission whenever you lose your passport.
  • This is the second time I lost my passport! Can I still replace it?
    You should follow the same application procedure as last time. Be advised that if you lose your passport frequently, you may be suspected of having sold it and may have difficulty renewing it.
  • I don’t have my old passport any more and I don’t have the necessary ID?
    If you don’t have the old passport, you will have to treat your application like a first UK passport application. Without the ID, you may still be able to apply. Please contact us for a consultation.
  • Can I change my name on my passport?
    Yes, you will need to submit your original marriage certificate or name change document and one photo ID containing your new name with the application in addition to any other documents required
  • Can I fix spelling mistakes or other typos (DOB etc)?
    Yes, but to do so you must submit all original documents; no copies or certified copies are acceptable
  • I think I had a passport but I don’t remember.
    You will have to apply as if it is your first application.
  • I came to Canada on my parent’s passport, can I renew?
    No, you must apply for your first UK passport.
  • I lost my passport. Can I apply for a renewal if I didn’t report the loss to the police or the embassy?
    Yes, you need to complete a “Lost or Stolen Passport Notification Form” included in the application package.
  • My application has been returned
    If you know why the package was returned, make sure you sent it to the right place: the UK Passport Service Centre for the Americas and the Caribbean at the British High Commission in Washington DC (for applicants living in North, Central or South America). You cannot submit passport applications to any UK diplomatic mission in Canada. If you do so, they will be returned to you, not forwarded to the Service Centre. If you do not know why the application was returned, contact Immigroup for a consultation. Follow any instructions included with the application.
  • I received an email / phone call requesting more documentation

    You should supply the documents to the Passport Service Centre as soon as possible. Your application will not be processed if you do not supply the documents requested. Please note that application files are only kept open for a limited amount of time and if the documents requested are not provided within this timeframe, your application will be closed. The government does not refund fees paid in this situation.

    If you have been advised to provide more information but you are not sure how to proceed, contact Immigroup for a consultation.


Filing an application FAQs

  • Who’s eligible to renew a UK Passport?
    If you are a Citizen of the UK – regardless of whether you are a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident – and you have already held a UK Passport, you can renew it using this form. Please note: if your current or last passport had the black cover, or your passport has been expired for over 10 years, you may have to submit the application as if filing for your application for a first UK passport.
  • What is the fee?
    The fee for a renewal is USD$225 for a normal passport and USD$255 for a 48-page passport. Please not that if you are using a representative, such as Immigroup, you will have to pay additional fees. Please see our fees here.
  • How do I renew my UK Passport?
    You have to complete the application, include the appropriate documents, and submit the application to the appropriate UK Passport Service Centre.
    • Original current or most recently expired passport
    • Copy of one government-issued photo ID
      • Driver’s License
      • Health Card
      • Provincial / Territorial Photo ID Card
      • Citizenship Card
      • PR Card
      • NEXUS Card
      • FAST Card
      • Any other government-issued government ID containing your photo
    • 2 UK Passport photos (See specifications)
    • If your passport has a black cover or has been expired for over 10 years submit
      • Original long-form birth certificate
      • Certified copies of 2 government-issued IDs
      • You will need to provide additional documents if you were not born in the UK
    • Parent’s long-form birth certificate
    • Parents’ marriage certificate (only if claiming through your father)
    • A second government-issued photo ID

    If you would like to use Immigroup to file your UK Passport Renewal Application, download the forms and submit them to our office by fax (416-640-2650), email, mail, courier, or in person.

  • Where do I mail my UK passport application to?

    If you would like our office to assist you with the application, address your package to:

    Immigroup Inc.
    1180 Danforth Avenue
    Toronto ON
    M4J 1M3

    If you are submitting your application directly to the government on your own, send your completed passport application and the necessary documents to:

    Regional Passport Processing Centre, Washington DC
    British Embassy
    19 Observatory Circle N.W.
    Washington DC 20008

  • When will I get my passport?
    The average processing time for a passport renewal is 4 – 8 weeks
  • How do I pay the fee?
    If you are using a representative, such as Immigroup, you can pay the fee directly to the representative.
    If you are applying for the passport by yourself, you can pay one of two ways:
    • By Credit Card (Mastercard and Visa only) by completing the appropriate credit card authorization form and including it in your application
    • By money order, cashiers’ cheque, or certified bank cheque, made payable to “British Embassy Government Account”

    Personal cheques, certified personal cheques and cash are not accepted. If you submit your application with one of these methods of payment, it will be returned to you.

    All fees must be payable in US dollars. Paying in Canadian dollars or British pounds is not acceptable if you are applying to the Passport Service Centre in Washington DC.

    You will receive a receipt if you are submitting original documents which need to be returned to you. If you are not submitting original documents, you will need to pay the courier costs (USD$33) to receive your receipt.

  • What are the photo requirements?
  • What if I have changed my name?

    If you have legally changed your name and you want your new name to appear on your passport, this change can be made immediately by applying for a new passport or you may wait until your passport is almost expired and the change can be made when you renew. The following additional documentation must be provided:

    • You must submit the original marriage certificate, divorce certificate or legal name change certificate with your application
    • You must submit a copy of a second government-issued photo ID in addition to the one already required for a total of two photo IDs. At least one of these IDs must be in your new name. The copies of these IDs must be certified.

    If you do not wish to change your name as it appears on your British passport, you do not need to include any additional documentation.

  • How do I check the status of my application once it has been sent the Service Centre in Washington?

    You should wait 8 weeks before you attempt to check your status. To get a status update you can contact the Passport Information Careline at 1 900 783 5791 for Canada. All calls are charged at a rate of CAD$3.00 per minute. This line is open from 4 PM on Sundays to 8:30 PM on Saturdays each week (i.e. all week, 24 hours a day, except Saturday night through Sunday morning). If you do not live in Canada you can call +44 208 082 4721; all calls are charged at £0.72 per minute plus Value Added Tax (the UK’s sales tax). If you live in the US, you can call 1 900 945 2220; calls are charged at USD$2.50 per minute. There is no toll free line.

  • Is there a toll free line to call about my passport?
    No, you have to pay if you want to call for a status update.
  • Can I call my local consulate / embassy?
    High Commissions, Embassies, and Consulates do not have access to the regular passport processing service information. You cannot receive an update from them. If you have applied for an emergency passport directly through your nearest diplomatic mission, only then can you contact them for an update.
  • Can I call the Passport Service Centre in Washington?
    No, you cannot contact anyone at the Passport Service Centre directly. Even if you receive an email from them advising of additional documents you must submit, you still need to call the Careline if you need further clarification.
  • Is there any way I can get an update without calling the pay helpline?
    Immigroup can provide you with status updates for your passport application if you have used us to assist you with the application. If you have submitted the application on your own, you must call the Careline (+44 208 082 4721) for updates on your application.
    Alternatively, a web-chat service has recently became available on the British Foreign Office’s website to obtain status updates on passport applications. This service is currently offered on a trial-basis only, and you can only use it if you are applying from Canada or the US. The cost is £3 per use and the service is available during the same hours as the phone line: 4PM Sunday to 8:30PM Saturday.
  • What should I do with my old passport now that I have received a new one?
    Your old passport is no longer valid; however it is still useful, especially if it is the passport you used to land in Canada or your children were on it. You should keep it in a safe place in case you need to prove your status in Canada or in case you ever need to provide it when applying to renew your UK passport.
  • My passport has already expired. What do I do now?
    If your passport has expired fewer than ten years ago and your appearance has not drastically changed, you may submit your passport renewal application without any additional documents. If your appearance has changed drastically since your previous passport was issued or your passport has been expired longer than 10 years, you will be required to submit additional documents as if it were your first passport application.
  • Can I renew my UK passport from outside of Canada?
    If you are using Immigroup to assist you with your UK passport renewal application, you may send your application to us from anywhere in the world.

    If you submit your application directly to the government, you must send the application to the appropriate passport processing centre. More info

I am in big trouble - HELP! FAQs

  • I lost my passport. What do I do?
    First, you should report the loss to the police and the nearest British diplomatic mission. Then you should apply for a new one. You need to complete a “Lost or Stolen Passport Notification Form” in addition to the regular application. You can find this form attached to the application. You will also need to provide your supporting documentation as if you were applying for your first passport.
  • If I lost my passport, have I lost my status as a British citizen?
    No, you are still a British citizen. But to travel as one, you will need to apply for a replacement passport.
  • I submitted my application with proof of urgency but it is taking forever. What can I do?
    Proof of urgency is rarely accepted. It is only granted at the discretion of the officer for special circumstances, such as a death in the family. Even then, it is up to the officer whether to process your application urgently. Unfortunately, there is not much more you can do about the application beyond contacting the Careline (+44 208 082 4721). If you have an emergency, you should see about an emergency passport through your nearest British diplomatic mission. If you have dual citizenship, you should travel on that passport instead.
  • My UK passport has a typo – how can I fix it?
    You must submit a renewal application but you must submit all original documents instead of copies with the correct information.
  • I have a criminal record. Can I still renew my passport?
    Yes, your criminal record should not affect your status as a British citizen.
  • My application was sent back to me. What do I do?
    • First, make sure you sent it to the right place. British passport applications are normally not processed in your country of residence, depending upon where you live. If you submitted your passport application to the wrong place, it will be returned to you rather than forwarded to the processing centre. Double check the appropriate processing centre before you re-submit the application.
    • Note any correspondence from the processing centre, if applicable.
    • Double check your application for any mistakes.
    • Ensure you have all necessary documents.
    • Re-submit the application to the correct processing centre.
  • How do I know what class of British citizen I am? Does it affect my passport application?
    You can check what kind of British national you are by checking the passport number on your old current or expired passport. The three letter prefix describes your type of nationality:
    • GBD: British Overseas Territories Citizen
    • GBN: British Nationals (Overseas)
    • GBO: British Overseas Citizen
    • GBP: British Protected Persons
    • GBR: full British Citizen
    • GBS: British Subject
    This status does not affect your renewal application but it does limit the rights you have as a British national / citizen and whether or not you can immigrate to the UK.
  • Why can’t I enter the US on my British Passport without a visa waiver?
    All foreign nationals aside from Canadians and residents of Bermuda, officially require a visa to enter the United States. The US waives this requirement for nationals of certain countries, including the United Kingdom. This is known as the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). However, in order to have your visa waived you must either be pre-cleared online through ESTA (the Electronic System for Travel Authorization) or you must fill out a form when entering the US. Only Canadian Citizenship removes this requirement.

Using Immigroup FAQs

  • Why should I use Immigroup?
    • We have helped thousands of clients with British passport and citizenship matters. This gives us the experience that you can utilize.
    • We make sure that we submit the best possible application for every single client.
    • We have been in business since 2004.
    • Our staff members have years of experience in the immigration field.
    • You can call us between 8:00am and 6:00pm Eastern Standard Time and speak to a live professional.
    • More than half a million people visit www.immigroup.com each year to use our great tools and information.
    • Our legal fees are disclosed on our website. Not many law firms are willing to do that!
    • We make it easy for you to get started on your application by email, phone, or fax.
    • Customer service, sound and ethical advice are our highest priority. Once you have used us you will feel the difference knowledge, service, and loyalty makes.
    • We think outside the box to help you with your case, but we don’t take clients on just because they can pay!
    • Expect an honest opinion – we will advise you if applying is not in your best interest. Click here to see our firm’s application statistics
    • We go out on a limb to give you the highest level of service.
    • We don’t take short cuts - we are perfectionists!
  • I am traveling and need my passport fast. How quickly can you get it?
    Normally, a UK passport renewal application cannot be expedited. The average processing time is 4 – 8 weeks.
  • Can you guarantee everything will work out if I use you?
    No application has a guaranteed successful outcome whether you submit it yourself, use our company, or hire the most expensive lawyer you can find. However, the great thing about Immigroup is that you can see statistics of the success rate of our past applications. The UK passport website notes that between 13-20% of all passport applications are submitted incorrectly. We can make sure you don’t fall into this group.
  • What if Immigroup makes a mistake on my application?
    Immigroup has the highest standards in hiring and training. Mistakes that effect the processing time of your application are extremely rare. However, if Immigroup makes a mistake on your application which causes a delay in processing, we will take full responsibility and process a refund appropriate to the situation. Click here to see statistics on these incidents and our terms of reimbursement to you.
  • Why should I hire Immigroup when I can do the application on my own?
    You can definitely do any application on your own without hiring a company to help you. However, when you use Immigroup, you gain these advantages over people who do it themselves:
    • You can be completely sure that the best possible application was submitted. This means that there will be no mistakes, errors, or omissions which could cause delays or refusals of an application.
    • This also means that Immigroup will offer you the most ethical and sound advice regarding your application. We will tell you if something in your application works against you or could cause problems in the future.
    • Immigroup has years of experience which can be leveraged in your favor to know what works and what doesn’t in an application.
    • Using Immigroup will also save you time because you don’t have to fight with the government to submit an application or follow up on it. You can simply call or email any time you want to know the status of your application.
    • Immigroup offers 20% off our service fee for every additional application.
    • Immigroup offers 20% off our service fee for returning clients.
  • Can you give me free support or where can I get free support?
    We are committed to helping everyone with their immigration needs. This is why www.immigroup.com offers free tools and information to answer all types of immigration questions. Immigroup does charge a fee for all services, but we are always looking for feedback on how we can further help our community. Our email address is info@immigroup.com
  • I have one important question, but I don’t need the full service. What can I do?
    Check out our FAQs. If you still can’t find the answer to your question, email us your question and you will receive a response within 2 business days. Depending on the complexity of your question, you may be advised to schedule a consultation with one of our immigration practitioners to ensure that you receive the best advice. The cost for a consultation is $84.75 (tax included) which is up to 30 minutes; however, if you retain Immigroup for a full service after the consultation, this fee well be deducted from the cost of the service. Consultations are available in person at our Toronto office or by phone. (Other options are available for hearing-impaired persons.) Call us at 1-866-760-2623 or email at info@immigroup.com to schedule your consultation. Click here for more information.
  • I called your office and did not get the answer I needed. What can I do?
    Only general information is available when you call our office. If you are still unsure how you should proceed, contact us to schedule a consultation to discuss the details of your specific case. Click here for more info.
  • How can I check the status of my application?
    Checking the status of your UK passport application can be a frustrating and expensive experience. If you are a client, you should contact us after 8 weeks have passed since your application was submitted, if you haven’t already heard from us, and we will call for you. You can request a check of status using one of two methods:
    • 1. By phone
    • Contact our office during business hours and state you are a PR card client that needs a status check on your application. We will confirm your contact information and then contact you within one business day to advise of the status of your application.
    • 2. By email
    • Email us at info@immigoup.com and advise us that you are a current client and you would like to check the status of your application. Your message should contain following:
      • applicant’s first and last name,
      • type of service: the subject should be UK passport status check

    If you are not a client but would prefer to deal with locals instead of a faceless pay-per-call call centre in the UK, you can contact us and we will act as your representative for a fee.

  • I used Immigroup but I lost my new UK passport. Do I have to do the entire process again?
    Yes, the application process will have to be completed once again. The good news is we have a copy of your application, so this will speed up the process. Also please note that if you lost your UK Passport 6 months from the date you paid we will offer you a 50% discount on our service fees.
  • Do you offer any discounts?
    Yes, returning clients are offered a 20% discount on our service fees. Clients who submit multiple applications are also offered a 20% discount on any additional services after the first application.
  • I need your help, but I can’t afford the fees? Can you help?
    We do our best to keep things affordable, but unfortunately we are unable to offer any discounts in addition to the ones above.
  • Do you know something that the government does not?
    No, but we have years of experience dealing with UK passport processing centres. We are aware of changes in the application procedure as they happen, and we know what the processing centre in Washington DC will accept and what they will not, which is sometimes not exactly what is listed on their website. Immigroup has lots of experience in this area. We
  • Can I pay you in installments?
    Yes, you may pay a minimum deposit of 50% of the amount due to start your case. The balance must be paid in full before the application can be submitted.
  • Do I pay you when I get my passport?
    Your fees must be paid in full before your application is submitted to the processing centre in Washington DC.
  • Do you work weekends or evenings?
    You may call our office between 8:00am and 6:00pm Eastern Time, or you may come in person between 9:30am and 4:15pm. You may drop your documents at the Toronto office 24 hours a day in our drop box. You may also leave a voicemail at 1-866-760-2623 or send an email 24 hours a day to info@immigroup.com and you will receive a response within one business day. To meet with an immigration practitioner outside of these hours, please contact us during business hours to schedule an appointment at a time convenient to you.
  • How accurate is your website?
    We strive to maintain accurate and up to date information on our website by getting up to the minute news on the Foreign Office. However, you should always confirm information before acting on it to ensure its accuracy. Please see our terms and conditions for more information.
  • I had something happen to me that is not posted on this webpage
    Great, we really would love to hear from you and what happened. By sending us your experience you are helping others in the future. We post all information that will be valued by future visitors.
  • I can’t find an answer to my question
    Send us an email or enter your question in the box below and we will get back to you within one business day.

Basic info FAQ’s

  • Photo of a UK Passport
    For the new passport, please see here.
  • What is British nationality?
    There are six types of British nationality. The most common is “British Citizen”. If you are renewing your passport, you are most likely a British Citizen and do not need to worry about the other five types of nationality. See above for further information.
  • History of British Nationality
    British law always made a distinction between subjects and foreigners but until 1914 the law regarding nationalities was not standardized. The British Nationality and Status of Aliens Act 1914 solidified existing common laws and statutes, with a few minor changes that didn’t really affect anyone.
    By 1948, with the Commonwealth having existed for some time, the various heads of government agreed that each member state would adopt new citizenship and nationality rules, but that all British nationals would retain the status of British Subject.
    In the UK, the British Nationality Act of 1948 established the status of Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies (CUKC), which became the official citizenship of the United Kingdom and its colonies on January 1, 1949, differentiating these people from British Subjects in the Dominions and in Ireland.
    As each colony became independent, the British government would pass an Independence Act, which would withdraw the status of CUKC from anyone who became a citizen of the newly independent country. The usual exception to one of these acts one would be unless a person had a connection with the UK or a remaining colony (for example birth in Britain).
    The Immigration Act 1971 introduced patriality, through which only British subjects with “strong” links to the the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man had the “right of abode”, the right to live and work in the United Kingdom and its surrounding islands.
    This law was changed when the British Nationality Act of 1981 was introduced, which created the current system of categories of British nationality. British citizens have the automatic right of abode in the United Kingdom but few others do.
    The 1981 Act ended the practice of acknowledging “commonwealth citizens” as “British Subjects”. The concept of “British Subject” was pretty much retired, except for two minor categories of people who were connected to British India or the Republic of Ireland prior to 1949, and who decided to keep their British status (provided, of course, they haven’t since become nationals of another country).
    Acquisition of British nationality via the new categories made by the British Nationality Act of 1981 is still usually dependent on one’s status prior to January 1, 1983, the date it came into law. This means that some rules created in 1948 or 1971 may still affect your status today. As a result, British nationality and citizenship are complicated.
  • What are the different types of British nationality?
    British nationality law is very complicated. There are basically six types of British nationality, not all of which are the same.
    • British Citizen
    • British Overseas Territories Citizen
    • British Overseas Citizen
    • British National (Overseas)
    • British Protected Person
    • British Subject
    British Citizens are citizens of the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. On January 1, 1983 most people - those with “the right of abode” - who were “Citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies” became “British Citizens”. It is the most common type of British nationality. If you are entitled to British Citizenship through descent you are likely a “British Citizen”. You are entitled to British Citizenship if
    • You were born in Britain prior to January 1, 1983
    • You were born to a British Citizen mother who was still a citizen at the time of your birth
    • You were born to a British citizen father who was still a citizen at the time of your birth and who was married to your mother at the time of your birth
    All British Citizens are allowed to carry a passport. If you have a normal British passport, your nationality is established, though not your “right of abode”, i.e. the right to move to and live permanently in the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
    British Overseas Territories Citizens (formally known as British Dependent Territories Citizens) are those who were born in or settled in a British Overseas Territory after January 1, 1983. BOTC can be acquired through descent as well, if you were born outside of the British Overseas Territories only if the parent you are claiming BOTC status through acquired citizenship through birth or through settlement (not through descent). Before 2002, only BOTCs of the Falklands and Gibraltar could become full British Citizens. Since 2002, any BOTC, save a BOTC from Cyprus, can become a full British Citizen. In order to do so, you must
    • register as a British Citizen (this application can be refused)
    • marry a full British Citizen and live in the UK for 3 years
    • move to the UK and live there for 5 years
    If you are a Gibraltar BOTC, your application cannot be refused.
    British Overseas Territories:
    • Akrotiri and Dhekelia military bases
    • Anguilla
    • Bermuda
    • British Antarctic Territory
    • British Indian Ocean Territory
    • British Virgin Islands
    • Cayman Islands
    • Falkland Islands
    • Gibraltar
    • Montserrat
    • Pitcairn Islands
    • Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan de Cunha
    • South Georgia and the Sandwich Islands
    • Turks and Caicos Islands
    British Overseas Citizens (BOC) are those who were considered “Citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies” (CUKC) prior to January 1, 1983, but did not immediately qualify for British Citizenship or British Dependent Territories Citizenship. There are a number of ways this could happen:
    • CUKCs through former British colonies or protectorates who did not become that citizens of that country on independence. This is applies to some former colonies, such as Kenya.
    • CUKCs who retained this citizenship upon independence of their colony based on a connection to another colony which became independent before January 1, 1983
    • British Subjects (see below) born before 1949 who did not acquire citizenship of the dominion they lived in (Dominions include Australia, Canada, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and South Africa), or British Subjects in Ireland or Zimbabwe when these nations created their citizenship laws, and could not claim another status through India or Pakistan
    • CUKCs who received it by descent through the father before January 1, 1983 and born in a country not part of the Commonwealth to a father
    • Female CUKCs who received it by marriage after October 28, 1971
    • minor CUKCs who received it by registration at a British High Commission in an independent Commonwealth country after October 27, 1971
    • CUKCs who kept this status even though they acquired the citizenship of an independent Commonwealth country (rare cases)
    You cannot acquire this citizenship through descent. This status is supposed to disappear as a citizenship category once everyone who holds it dies.
    BOCs can become full British Citizens through
    • Living in the UK for 5 years
    • Marrying a full British Citizen and living in the UK for 3 years
    • Statelessness, provided you did not lose your citizenship after 2002 by renouncing, voluntarily
    • relinquishing or losing citizenship through “action or inaction”. If you can apply as a stateless person, you will have to register as a British Citizen
    British National (Overseas) (BNO) was a status created in 1985 to deal with the reversion of Hong Kong to China. BNOs are those British Dependent Territories Citizens – who, before 2002, were not automatically entitled to full British Citizenship - who registered as British Nationals (Overseas) after January 1, 1987 and before December 31, 997. If you were a British Dependent Territories Citizen who did not register during this period and subsequently lost this status – for example by the transfer of Hong Kong from Britain to China – you are not a BNO.
    BNOs can carry a special type of passport which entitles the bearer to visa-free travel in the EU and to the consular support of EU diplomatic missions, in addition to the “right of abode” in Hong Kong. However, BNOs are not full British Citizens, do not have “the right of abode” in the UK, and have no special rights to become a full British Citizen.
    British Protected Persons (BPP) are a special class of refugees from former British colonies. Eligibility for this nationality designation depends on the independence date of the colony.
    A person is a British Protected Person if
    • They were born in one of the countries below prior to independence, never became a citizen of that country or any other (including the UK);
    • Their father was born before January 28, 1949 in one of the countries listed below;
    • Their father was born before January 28, 1949 outside of one of the countries listed below, and they never became a citizen of any other country (including the UK) since August 16, 1978
    • Their father was born in one of the countries below and was a British Protected Person at the time of the person’s birth and the person was born on or after January 28, 1949 but before independence, was born outside of one of the countries below, never became a citizen of one of the countries below, and has not become a citizen anywhere else
    A person is a British Protected Person if
    • Between independence and 1978
    • Their father was a BPP at the time of the person’s birth and the person was born after independence and before August 16, 1978 and has not become a citizen anywhere else
    • Between July 7, 1978 and July 7, 1980
    • Their father was a BPP at the time of birth, the person was born between July 7, 1978 and July 7, 1980, the person would have been born stateless if not for BPP status
    • Since January 1, 1983
    • Either parent was a BPP at the time of birth, the person was born on or after January 1, 1983, and has not acquired any citizenship
    Please note exceptions to these rules exist for those born in the Solomon Islands. Those seeking BPP born between July 8, 1980 and December 31, 1982 should in one of the below countries should contact their nearest British diplomatic mission to see if they can qualify for BPP status through their father.
    It is also possible to register as a BPP, but you need to meet the above conditions, unless applying through marriage.
    BPP is eligible only for people who meet the above criteria and born in the territories that became the regions of the following countries:
    • Botswana: Bechuanaland
    • Gambia
    • Ghana: British Togoland and Northern Territories of the Gold Coast
    • Kenya
    • Malawi: Nyasaland
    • Nigeria
    • Sierra Leone
    • Solomon Islands
    • Tanzania: Tanganyika
    • Uganda
    • Yemen: Kamaran and South Arabia
    • Zambia: Northern Rhodesia
    Most BPPs did not become British Subjects (though there are exceptions). BPPs can become full British Citizens through the following means:
    • 5 years residence in the UK with “Indefinite Leave to Remain” for at least 12 months
    • Marrying a full British Citizen and living in the UK for 3 years
    • Statelessness after 2002

    British Subjects were citizens of Commonwealth countries between 1949 and 1981. It ceased to exist as a citizenship category after January 1, 1983, except as applies to any British Subjects in Ireland prior to 1949. British subjects are not automatically citizens and are not entitled to British Citizenship. British Subjects – except those from Ireland prior to 1949 - should have lost this status when they became citizens of other countries (including the United Kingdom, in 1983).
  • History of the British Passport
    So called “Safe Conduct” documents were issued to English subjects and even foreigners in the Middle Ages; they were usually pieces of paper signed by the king. They were first acknowledged in law in the 1400s. Beginning in 1540, and running through 1685, the government issued passports, but they were still signed by the king. After 1685, the Secretary of State was allowed to sign as well and by 1794 all passports were signed by this office instead. This is where the first records of passports date from.
    Passports were often written in Latin, and sometimes English, until 1772. French was used afterwards because of its use in most countries on the continent. In the mid 19th century, English came back into use, though some sections were still translated into French for decades afterwards. It was at this time that passports issued by the British Crown became restricted to British nationals.
    In the 19th century the passport was just a piece of paper but by World War One they included the first passport photos. The British Nationality and Status of Aliens Act 1914 was passed with the start of the war and a new version of the passport was created in order to ensure only British nationals used it. The passport changed a little here and there until 1968 when it became possible to get a British Passport for 10 years instead of five years. Additional security features – such as watermarks - were created in 1972 and an incredible 94-page passport was issued beginning in 1973. Passports were first laminated in 1975 and printing over this laminate began in 1981. In 1982, most personal information beyond the standard name and DOB were removed.
    Machine-readable passports were first available in 1988. Photographs were replaced with digital images ten years later. The blue passports began to be phased out in 1993 as part of these security changes. Post-9/11 the British government was pressured to comply with the US Waiver program and so they introduced biometric passports (also known as ePassports) in 2006, allowing British Passport holders to use ESTA instead of applying for visas when traveling to the United States.
  • Who is eligible for a British Passport?
    All six classes of nationality are able to apply for a British Passport, though possession of this passport does not automatically guarantee British Citizenship. All British Passports can be withheld at the discretion of the Foreign Office or the Identity and Passport Service unless the applicant is a British National (Overseas). Most British Citizens and Subjects are normally able to enter and move around the EU. Fun fact: the Queen does not require a passport, as all British passports are issued under her authority.
  • Who issues the passport?
    In the UK, British passports are issued by the Identity and Passport Service. Applications can normally be submitted by mail.
    In the British overseas territories, British Overseas Territories Citizen Passports are issued in the territory, but British Citizen Passport applications need to be made to the appropriate regional processing centre, depending on where you live.
    The Foreign Office issues passports outside of British territory. Since 2009, most British diplomatic missions do not issue passports (only emergency, one-time-use passports). See the list to see whether you need to apply at a processing centre.
  • What is the right of abode?
    It is the right to enter and live in the United Kingdom. It is held by all British citizens automatically. It is also held by some British subjects and any patrials under the Immigration Act 1971.
  • Where do I submit my passport application?
    In most cases, you will have to submit your application to a Regional Passport Processing Centre in one of a number of locations around the world. Find your country or territory in the lists below. Applications to processing centres should be made by mail or courier only. Please note that these lists are accurate for renewal applications only. For some countries, first time passport applications must be made in person at the required diplomatic mission. If you are applying to replace a lost or stolen passport, you may have to submit the application as you would a first passport. Please see the first passport page for the appropriate submission centres.
    Regional Processing Centre for Eastern,
    Central & Northern Europe & the Middle East
    Passport Section
    British Consulate General
    Yorck Strasse 19
    40476 Düsseldorf

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying from:
    • Albania
    • Armenia
    • Austria
    • Azerbaijan
    • Bahrain
    • Belarus*
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • Germany
    • Hungary
    • Iceland
    • Kosovo
    • Kuwait
    • Latvia
    • Lithuania
    • Macedonia
    • Moldova
    • Montenegro
    • Norway
    • Oma
    • Poland
    • Qatar
    • Romania
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Serbia
    • Seychelles
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    • Sweden
    • Turkey
    • United Arab Emirates
    • If you are applying from within Belarus, you can apply - in person only - at the British Embassy in Minsk: British Embassy Minsk, 37 Karl Marx Street, 220030 Minsk , Belarus
    Regional Processing Centre for
    East Asia
    British Consulate-General
    RPPC - 5th Floor
    1 Supreme Court Road
    Hong Kong

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying from:
    • Afghanistan*
    • Bhutan
    • Brunei
    • Burma (Myanmar)
    • Cambodia
    • China
    • East Timor (Timor leste)
    • Hong Kong
    • Indonesia
    • Japan
    • South Korea
    • Laos
    • Macao
    • Malaysia
    • Maldives
    • Marshall Islands
    • Micronesia
    • Mongolia
    • Nepal
    • Philippines
    • Singapore
    • Sri Lanka
    • Taiwan
    • Thailand
    • Vietnam
    • If you are applying from within Afghanistan, you can apply - in person only - at the British Embassy in Kabul: British Embassy, 15th Street, Roundabout Wazir Akbar Khan, PO Box 334, Kabul, Afghanistan
    Regional Processing Centre for the
    British Consulate-General Madrid
    Torre Espacio
    Paseo de la Castellana 259D
    28046 Madrid

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying from:
    • Andorra
    • Cyprus
    • Greece
    • Portugal
    • Spain
    Regional Processing Centre for
    Western Europe & the Middle east
    Regional Passport Processing Centre Paris
    16 rue d’Anjou
    75008 Paris

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying from:
    • Belgium
    • Egypt
    • France
    • Iraq
    • Israel
    • Italy
    • Palestine (West Bank only)
    • Luxembourg
    • Malta
    • Monaco
    • Netherlands
    • Switzerland
    Regional Processing Centre for Africa
    British Passport Section
    British Consulate
    256 Glyn Street
    Hatfield, Pretoria
    0083 South Africa

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying from:
    • Angola
    • Botswana
    • Burkina Faso
    • Cameroon
    • Central African Republic
    • Democratic Republic of the Congo
    • Republic of the Congo
    • Cote d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
    • Djibouti
    • Ghana*
    • Guinea
    • Finland
    • Guinea-Bissau
    • Lesotho
    • Liberia
    • Madagascar
    • Malawi*
    • Mali
    • Mauritius
    • Mayotte
    • Mozambique
    • Niger
    • Namibia
    • Reunion
    • Rwanda
    • Senegal
    • South Africa*
    • Swaziland
    • Tanzania
    • Togo
    • Uganda*
    • If you are applying from within Ghana, you can apply - in person only - at The Passport Officer, British High Commission, Osu Link, off Gamel Abdul Nasser Avenue, PO Box 296, Accra, Ghana
    • If you are applying from within Malawi, and paying in cash, you can apply – in person only – at British High Commission, PO Box 30042, Lilongwe 3\
    • If you are applying from or Durban or Port Elizabeth in South Africa, you can apply through the 1820 Settlers Association offices in those cities
    • If you applying from within Uganda, and paying in cash, you can apply - in person only – at British High Commission in Kampala, 4 Windsor Loop, PO Box 7070
    Regional Processing Centre
    for the Americas
    British Embassy
    19 Observatory Circle N.W.
    Washington DC 20008

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying from:
    • Anguilla
    • Antigua and Barbuda
    • Argentina
    • Bahamas
    • Barbados
    • Belize
    • Bermuda
    • Bolivia
    • Brazil
    • British Virgin Islands
    • Canada
    • Cayman Islands
    • Chile
    • Colombia
    • Costa Rica
    • Curacao
    • Dominica
    • Dominican Republic
    • Ecuador
    • El Salvador
    • French Guiana
    • Grenada
    • Guadeloupe
    • Guatemala
    • Guyana
    • Haiti
    • Honduras
    • Martinique
    • Mexico
    • Montserrat
    • Nicaragua
    • Panama
    • Paraguay
    • Peru
    • St. Barthelmy (Bethelmy, St. Barts)
    • St. Kitts and Nevis
    • St. Maarten
    • St. Pierre et Miquelon
    • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • Turks and Caicos
    • United States
    • Uruguay
    Regional Passport Processing Centre for
    the Pacific Islands
    British High Commission
    44 Hill Street
    Wellington 6011 New Zealand

    View Larger Map
    Use if you are applying one of the following countries. If you are applying from New Zealand itself, use New Zealand Post.
    • American Samoa
    • Christmas Island
    • Cook Islands
    • Fiji
    • French Polynesia
    • Kiribati
    • Nauru
    • New Caledonia
    • Niue
    • Norfolk Island
    • Papua New Guinea
    • Pitcairn Islands
    • Samoa
    • Solomon Islands
    • Tokelau
    • Tonga
    • Tuvalu
    • Vanuatu
    • Wallis and Futuna

    Was your country not mentioned for the above centres? That means you do not have to apply to a Regional Passport Processing Centre. Find your country in the list below. Please note that if your country is on this list, you are likely required to provide additional documents with your application (unless you are applying in Australia or New Zealand).

    • Australia: apply by Australia Post
    • Algeria: in person only at British Consular Section, British Embasssy, 03, Chemin Capitaine Hocine Slimane, Ex Chemin des Glycines - Algiers
    • Bangladesh: in person or by mail at British Passport Application, Passport Section, British High Commission, UN Road, Baridaha
    • Benin: in person only at British Deputy High Commission, 11 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria
    • Burundi: in person only at British Embassy Liaison Office, Building Old East, Parcelle No1/2, Place de l'Independance, Bujumbura, Burundi
    • Cape Verde: contact your nearest British diplomatic mission for details: British Honorary Consul, Rue Dr. Alberto Leite, Prédio da Papirus, 1 andar, C.P. 423, Mindelo, Cabo Verde
    • Chad: for details contact
      • Honorary Consul: Steve Banks, Mission Aviation Fellowship, BP 1182, N’Djamena, Chad
      • British High Commission Yaounde, Avenue Winston Churchill, BP 547
    • Cuba: in person only at British Embassy, Calle 34 no. 702 e/ 7ma y 17, Miramar, Playa la Habana, Cuba
    • Eritrea: in person only at British Embassy, 66-68 Mariam Ghimbi Street, Zip Code 174, PO Box 5584, Asmara, Eritrea
    • Ethiopia: in person only at British Embassy, Comoros Street, PO Box 858, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
    • Gabon: for details contact British High Commission Yaounde, Avenue Winston Churchill, BP 547
    • Gambia, the: in person only at British High Commission, 48 Atlantic Road, Fajara (PO Box 507), Banjul
    • Gaza: in person only at British Information and Services Office, First Floor, Al-Riyad Tower, Jerusalem Street, Al-Rimal South, Gaza
    • Georgia: in person only at British Embassy Tbilisi, 51 Krtsanisi street, 0114 Tbilisi
    • India: by mail only to PPT Applications, British High Commission, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, 110021
    • Iran: you cannot make a UK passport application from Iran at this time. Please contact consularenquiries.tehran@fco.gov.uk for more information.
    • Ireland: by mail or in person at Passport Office, British Embassy, 29 Merrion Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4
    • Jamaica: in person only at British High Commission, 28 Trafalgar Road, Kingston 10, Jamaica
    • Jordan: in person only at British Consulate Amman, (PO Box 87) Abdoun, Amman 11118
    • Kazakhstan: in person only at British Embassy Office, Almaty , Samal Towers, 97 Zholdasbekova street, Block A2, 9 Floor, 050051
    • Kenya: by mail only to The Passport Office, British High Commission, Upper Hill Road, P.O.Box 30465-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
    • North Korea: by mail or in person at British Embassy, Munsu-dong Diplomatic Compound, Pyongyang, DPRK
    • Kyrgyzstan: in person only at British Embassy Almaty, Samal Towers, 97 Zholdasbekova street 97, Block A2, 9 Floor, Microdistrict Samal 2, Almaty 050051, Kazakhstan
    • Lebanon: in person only at British Embassy, Embassies Complex, Armies Street, Zkak Al-Blat, Serail Hill, PO Box 11-471, Beirut
    • Libya: in person only at British Embassy, Burj Tarablus (Tripoli Tower), 24th Floor, Sharia al Shat, Tripoli
    • Mauritania: you cannot make a UK passport application from Mauritania at this time. Please apply through Morocco.
    • Morocco: in person only at British Embassy, 28 Avenue S.A.R. Sidi Mohammed, Soussi 10105 (BP 45), Rabat
    • New Zealand: apply through New Zealand Post
    • Nigeria: in person only at British Deputy High Commission, 11 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos
    • Pakistan: by mail or in person at British High Commission, Consular Section, Diplomatic Enclave, Ramna 5, Islamabad; 8AM-12PM, Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays
    • Russia: in person only at the following Embassy and Consulates. All offices are open Mon-Fri 9AM-12PM local time
      • Consular Section in Moscow, Moscow 121099, Smolenskaya Naberezhnaya 10
      • Consular Section St Petersburg, PL Proletarskoy Diktatury 5 Smolninskiy Raion, 191124 St Petersburg. Appointments are recommended: RussiaConsular@fco.gov.uk
      • Consular Section Ekaterinburg, 15a Gogol Street, 620075 Ekaterinburg. Appointments are recommended: RussiaConsular@fco.gov.uk
    • Sierra Leone: in person only at Consular Section, British High Commission, 6 Spur Road, Wilberforce, Freetown, Sierra Leone
    • Somalia: you cannot make a UK passport application from Somalia at this time. Please apply through Ethiopia or Kenya
    • Sudan and South Sudan: in person only at British Embassy Sudan, Off Sharia Al-Baladiya, Khartoum, PO BOX 801
    • Syria: you cannot make a UK passport application from Syria at this time. Please contanct consularenquiries.damascus@fco.gov.uk for more information or apply from Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon or Turkey.
    • Tajikistan: by mail only to British Embassy in Dushanbe, 65 Mirzo Tursunzade Street, Dushanbe 734002, Tajikistan
    • Tunisia: in person only at British Embassy, Rue du Lac Windermere, Les Berges du Lac, Tunis 1053
    • Turkmenistan: in person only at British Embassy, Four Points Ak Altin Hotel, 301-308 Office Building, Ashgabat,
    • Turkmenistan
    • Ukraine: in person only at Consular Section, British Embassy Kyiv, 9 Desyatynna street, Kyiv 01901 Ukraine
    • United Kingdom
    • Uzbekistan: in person only at British Embassy, 67, Gulyamova str., Tashkent, Uzbekistan
    • Venezuela: in person only at British Embassy, Avenida Principal de la Castellana, Torre La Castellana, Piso 11, Caracas 1060 Venezuela
    • Western Sahara: you cannot make a UK passport application from Western Sahara at this time. Please apply through Morocco
    • Yemen: you cannot make a UK passport application from Yemen at this time. Please apply through Jordan
    • Zambia: in person only at British High Commission, 5210 Independence Avenue, PO Box 50050, 15101 Ridgeway
    • Zimbabwe: in person only at British Embassy, 3 Norfolk Road, Mount Pleasant, Harare


  • What is the cost for a UK Passport renewal?
    A regular, 32-page passport costs USD$211 plus a courier fee of USD$33. A 48-page passport costs USD$255 plus the courier fee. If you use a representative, such as Immigroup, it will cost more. See our fees.
  • How do I keep my British nationality status?
    The UK allows dual citizenship. As long as you have registered for your status (some categories of British nationality require registration to be effective) you should be able to be a Canadian and a British national at the same time (the exception is for British Protected Persons, who would lose this status if they became Canadian Citizens). You do not have to do anything else to keep this status, though renewing your passport once it is expired helps keep you from having to deal with red tape should you ever need this passport in the future.
  • What is an emergency passport?
    An emergency passport is issued by British diplomatic missions to British nationals who need to travel in emergency situations. It is good for one use only.
  • Can I put my child on my passport when I renew it?
    No, your child requires their own passport. It is no longer acceptable for British Children to travel on their parents’ passports.
  • Will I lose British Citizenship if I get a Canadian passport?
    No, the UK recognizes dual citizenship.
  • How do I get certified copies of my supporting documents?
    To have a copy certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:
    • “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”
    • the name of the original document
    • the date of the certification
    • his or her name
    • his or her official position or title and
    • his or her signature

    Important: The person who certifies your photocopies cannot be a family member.
    Who can certify copies?
    Persons authorized to certify copies include the following:
    • Chiropractor
    • Commissioner of oaths
    • Dentist
    • Funeral director
    • Justice of the peace or judge
    • Lawyer
    • Manager of a financial institution
    • Medical doctor
    • Member of a provincial legislature
    • Member of Parliament
    • Minister of religion
    • Municipal clerk
    • Notary
    • Official of an embassy, consulate or high commission officially accredited to Canada and authorize to certify document issued by the official’s government
    • Official of a federal or provincial government department
    • Pharmacist
    • Police officer
    • Postmaster
    • Primary, secondary or university teacher
    • Professional accountant
    • Professional engineer
    • Social worker
    • Veterinarian
    The Person certifying your photocopies does not need to know you personally.
  • Does the person certifying my copies need to be a British National?
    No, they do not.
  • Do I need a PR Card if I have a British Passport?
    Yes, you do. You need a PR Card to enter Canada. You can enter Canada on your British Passport without a visa, however repeated attempts to do this could cause problems. Best to be safe and use your PR Card. For dual citizens of Canada and the UK you do not require a permanent resident card. Your Canadian passport and / or citizenship certificate as proof of your status.
  • When is my passport damaged?
    When it can be no longer read by a machine or an officer. When in doubt, renew!
  • Can I travel with more than one passport?
    As long as they are issued by different countries, of course you can. If you are a national of the country you are traveling to, be sure to use that passport when entering, and not your other passport, to speed up your process through customs.
  • I have a UK passport. Am I a Canadian Citizen?
    Unless you were a British subject living in Canada prior to 1949, you need to apply for Canadian Citizenship. The UK recognizes dual citizenship, so you can become a Canadian.
    Could not find what you were looking for? No problem - Email us!

Ask Questions