Visa Advice Help!

  • 1 Replies


  • Newbie
  • *
  • 1
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Visa Advice Help!
« on: February 18, 2015, 07:44:10 AM »
I have a unique situation and need advice. I'm an American citizen living and working in Thailand.  My Canadian fiancÚ took a job offer in Egypt and left to work there at the beginning of January.  He had seizures that put him in a coma a week after he arrived.  He had to have brain surgery to remove the blood which left him semi paralysed and in a confused state.  He spent over 5 weeks in hospital in Egypt and was just given clearance to get on a plane back to Canada.  He arrived in Canada on Saturday and is currently in the hospital there and will be recovering for some time.

I will complete my teaching job here in Thailand and will fly back to America in 3 weeks.  I would like to be able to stay in Canada to help him get through the recovery process.  The doctors suggest my presence will help his brain develop. 

Unfortunately, there are a lot of medical bills and I cannot afford to live in Canada without working.  I need to be be able to work as soon as possible since the Thai money exchange is not favourable.

I have been reading so many things about work permits, open work permits, sponsorship visas, etc.  I do not know the best direction to go in this situation that will give me the opportunity to live and work in Canada and lead my fiancÚ on the road to recovery. 

I have also read that police checks are required for countries lived over 6 months since age 18.  I have lived in 4 different countries so that alone will take an incredibly long time.

We were also supposed to get married in Canada July this year but we now have to postpone it.  :(



Anthony Doherty

  • IMMIgroup team
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • 30
  • +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Visa Advice Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 02:38:26 PM »
Hi Sarah,

First of all I am very sorry to here about your husband, I hope his situation improves and he makes a fast recovery. As you are already aware you do not need a visa to come to Canada as a visitor. However, if you wish to work while you are here you must have a work permit. If you are a qualified teacher and you have a Bachelor of Education (BEd) and a written job offer from a Canadian educational institution you may be eligible to apply for a work permit under the North American free trade agreement (NAFTA).

I hope this helps

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:43:04 PM by Riley Haas »


Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58