Living/Studying/Working in Canada from US (with boyfriend)

a_cluv

I am an 18 year old US citizen looking to eventually move in with my boyfriend (he is 20) in Canada and spend my life there. I have no clue what the best possible way to achieve this would be or who to reach out to for advice. I want to make it happen as soon as possible although I understand it is a long process. I would be okay with visiting for 6/12 months while figuring out another way to get residency. The issue with that is that I need to be working and getting income while I am staying in Canada. I have done a bit of research but it is an overwhelming amount of information and I just need help sorting through my options. From what I gather, after living with your significant other for one year you become common-law partners, correct? Would there be any way I could live with him for 12 months (even if it isnt consistently), and then after that could he sponsor me for PR? Do I need to get temporary residency before that could be a possibility? I've read that it is difficult to get TRP because you need a valid reasoning and I don't think my reasoning for coming to Canada would qualify. Can I apply for an open work permit with TRP if I were somehow able to obtain it? I would also be open to getting a study permit and living with him temporarily through that while working on obtaining some other form of permanent residency. Is there any way I would be able to work with a study permit in Canada? I had some troubles with my high school, my parents moved me around constantly and I went into foster care in 2018, I do not have a good transcript, and I am finishing my high school credits currently through a program. So, I don't know if I would be able to be accepted into a community college there after I get my diploma because of my bad grades. I also wanted to see if it would be possible to just switch to a program like the one I am currently doing, in Canada, and get a study permit for that while living with my boyfriend. After that I would probably be attending community college first because of my high school grades and then university. I just want to see what my options are, and what the quickest way I could get there would be (even if it is just on "visitation", I just have to be able to work through whichever option I choose.) My boyfriend works full-time currently and lives with his family still. His family is very supportive of me and want to do what they can to help. If anyone could help me or even guide me to another source it would be extremely appreciated. I have very little help here and have very little insight on the best possible way for me to move to Canada to end the distance and start my new life.

I am looking to study/work/live in Canada, eventually permanently.
I am 18, boyfriend is 20.
The province I am interested in is Ontario.
I only have 2 years of work experience as a cashier.
I have no family ties to anyone in Canada at all.
I have no criminal record.
I am in good health.
I have visited the place I want to live on a US passport for 21 days in 2019.

If you are an American citizen, you may be eligible to apply for a Canadian work permit or apply to work in Canada on a temporary basis under the Skilled Worker Program, which could lead to permanent residency.

If you would like to work in Canada but would like to use your work experience as a pathway to permanent residency, you could also consider the Skilled Worker Program. To be eligible for the Skilled Worker Program, you will need to have at least one year of full-time work experience in a management occupation, a professional and related occupation, a technical occupation, skilled trade etc. You will also need to determine your eligibility based on the program’s point system, which measures certain criteria such as your language proficiency, work experience and age.

You can later consider the option of Permanent residency

A large percentage of American immigrants to Canada arrive after being sponsored by a Canadian spouse or common-law partner. Canada and the U.S. are the best of neighbors. The current Liberal government of Canada places particular emphasis on what is commonly known as family reunification or family sponsorship, and the spousal/common-law route is one pathway to Canadian immigration under this category. The government is also working on reducing processing times under this immigration category. In order to receive a visa through this immigration program, the sponsor and sponsored person must prove that their relationship qualifies under one of three categories:
  • Spouse
  • Common-law Partner
  • Conjugal Partner
For further clarification and detailed info visit https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship.html

Emily_Seeger

Phone
Email
[email protected]
If you are an American citizen, you may be eligible to apply for a Canadian work permit or apply to work in Canada on a temporary basis under the Skilled Worker Program, which could lead to permanent residency.

If you would like to work in Canada but would like to use your work experience as a pathway to permanent residency, you could also consider the Skilled Worker Program. To be eligible for the Skilled Worker Program, you will need to have at least one year of full-time work experience in a management occupation, a professional and related occupation, a technical occupation, skilled trade etc. You will also need to determine your eligibility based on the program’s point system, which measures certain criteria such as your language proficiency, work experience and age.

You can later consider the option of Permanent residency

A large percentage of American immigrants to Canada arrive after being sponsored by a Canadian spouse or common-law partner. Canada and the U.S. are the best of neighbors. The current Liberal government of Canada places particular emphasis on what is commonly known as family reunification or family sponsorship, and the spousal/common-law route is one pathway to Canadian immigration under this category. The government is also working on reducing processing times under this immigration category. In order to receive a visa through this immigration program, the sponsor and sponsored person must prove that their relationship qualifies under one of three categories:
  • Spouse
  • Common-law Partner
  • Conjugal Partner
For further clarification and detailed info visit https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/holocaust/
Thanks for the advice! I'm also faced with this question, only I also want to go to a Canadian college. Is there any advice for those who go there to study but are going to live there after graduation? I would be very grateful for any information. I wish the author good luck and let your life in Canada be good!