Sponsorship & pregnancy

Poliv

Hi, I met my husband when his visa for stay here expired. He stayed here anyway. Currently we have been together for almost 2 years. We married last October to apply for sponsorship which we just did a couple days ago. I also just found out I am pregnant. Will I still be able to sponsor him? Thinking especially about the time I go on maternity leave. Will it make the process harder or perhaps easier? I am worried it will mess things up and so we must prepare accordingly to situation. Is anyone able to enlighten the process somewhat for me? It would be very much appreciated

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
What is his legal status in Canada?

Your maternity leave shouldn't affect the sponsorship application as long as you can both demonstrate you can survive financially.

Poliv

Hi,
What is his legal status in Canada?

Your maternity leave shouldn't affect the sponsorship application as long as you can both demonstrate you can survive financially.
Hi,

Thank you for clarifying.
He is currently pretty much illegal here as his visa expired 2 years ago and his extension for visitor visa was denied as he did not show any "income" which was very unreasonable since he was on visitor visa.... he has stayed here and so I would love to sponsor him and make him be able to work and provide for family. I heard that sometimes they send back the applicant to their country, do you know anything about this? I hope this does not happen during my pregnancy as i will need him and his support... I am very nervous about it all...

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
The sponsored spouse needs to be in a country where they have legal status, so either he has to leave and try to re-enter or they may deport him when they discover he is here. You should probably talk to a lawyer or an RCIC before going any further.