Convention refugee help

Lenka05

i am a convention refugee since 2012 and they accepted my claim in 2012. In 2018 i had to create a emergency passport with My family (4people) due to my grandmother being Really ill. We had to go back to our home country where were all citizens . The country is in dangared which is the reasoning for fleeing to canada .As a 16 year old i had no say in the situation. My grandma past and my mom fell in deep depression Causing us to stay longer than intended to. As I wasnt 18 years Of age i couldnt come back. When i turn 18 will i be able to come back? Will i have some trouble ? Will they take my status away ? I have papers from doctors stating my mothers condition will this help

Lenka05

I know it'll be hard coming back to Canada . However do you think it will be possible to apply for the humanitarian and compassionate grounds ? Since I didn't chose to stay I had to as my gaurdian wasn't in no way to function in addition of returning . She couldn't physical and mentally handle everything going on and is not aware of her surrounds

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Oh so they accepted you as just a protected person but your family never took the next step? Do you have a Canadian-issued travel document of any kind? If you don't, you will have trouble coming to Canada.

If you don't have the travel document/certificate of identity getting back becmoes a question for an RCIC or a lawyer, I think.

Lenka05

My family didn't take the next step . We were going to but he had to wait for my father's papers to get sorted . That's what out lawyer said to do . We went to my home country using a emergency passport (the kind with a couple pages) our passports are in the Canadian immigration in the airport . I have the official paper stating our acceptance . I always went to school in Canada .

Lenka05

The guy at the immigration consulate in Canada Toronto downtown . He said he had 5 years to return . I don't know what he meant since I know I'll be having trouble getting back . We made our emergency passports there as we were planning to return in a month . However since my mom wasn't able to take care of us or make any decisions we had to stay. Please help . What can I do? Do I have a chance of coming back or will I be able to apply for the humanitarian and compassionate grounds ? . I just want to go home

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I assume the emergency passport has expired (or is otherwise invalid)?

If so, I think you might be eligible to apply for a travel document, perhaps directly or perhaps through a Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds appeal, but I don't know as I'm just the admin. That's why I said you need to speak to a Canadian lawyer or Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC).

Last edited:

Lenka05

Yes it has expired . I only had it for a month m the reasoning for not returning earlier also had to do with age . I'll be turning 18 in 3 months and I had gathered some money as well . Thank you so much for answering my questions I've been seeking for help all these days and everyone just asks for money before even helping . God bless you

Lenka05

I can't see a consulate in person because it's hours away from me and I have no way of getting there . May I ask how I can contact the the consulate on the phone ? I'm in a different country and the pay is different. Do you think it'll be possible to still contact them ? Thank you so much

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know that they normally see people in person. You can try contacting them by phone or email but I am not optimistic about a response.