International bank statements as proof of funds for TRV?

wish

Hello friends
I am a Canada PR. I have been staying and working out of Canada for the past few years and am now planning to go back with my newborn baby. I am applying for his TRV visa and wanted to ask if I can show my bank statements from my current country i.e Germany to support my baby's TRV application?

Any comment is highly appreciated.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good question.

And I'm sorry to say I don't know the best answer.

My guess is that information provided for your son's TRV cannot be used against your PR Card renewal application later, but I don't know if that's actually true.

Do you currently meet the residence requirement? If so, there shouldn't be an issue.

wish

Hi Riley

Thanks for the attempt. Yes, presently I do meet the residence requirement or so to so, I will meet the residence requirement of 2 years if I move in the next couple months.

Do you see any problem with my PR renewal? Is it linked somehow?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
No I don't see it, sorry about any confusion. I assumed wrongly that you were asking about this situation due to fears about your PR renewal.

If you're not concerned then you should submit the foreign bank statements.

wish

Thanks Riley.
Well, that brings up another concern that my partner who is also planning to move back with us does not meet the residence requirement for Renewal. He has only 1 year left to his PR card expiry. Would that be a problem at the port of entry? Do the officers at the airport check for the number of days stayed outside/inside the country?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So, in normal times the thing to do would be to fly to the US and then try to enter Canada by car, with his COPR/Record of Landing. At this point a couple of things might happen:
  • He's admitted without issue
  • He's denied admittance and loses his status
  • He's admitted but told that he will be getting only a 1 year PR Card when he renews.
However, in pandemic times things are different. The question is, did the pandemic in any way prevent him from meeting the residence requirement? I.e. would he have met the residence requirement had he returned back to Canada sooner, but travel restrictions prevented him from doing so? (He will have to prove this with information about which travel restrictions prevented him from traveling.)

wish

Very good pointers up there. Thank Riley.
Yes. The situation would have been definitely different. We had a flight ticket cancelled due to 1. the Covid situation and 2. My pregnancy itself.

The question then is,would it be worth trying to directly land in Canada via air instead of taking the US route? Do you see an absolute risk of denial if he enters via Canadian airport(P.s Entering while still with 1 year left for the PR card to expire)?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
I'm very sorry, I misread your post.

His PR Card is still valid, right? He's okay to come back directly to Canada as long as the PR Card is still valid. The options I outlined are for once his PR Card has actually expired.

Sorry for the confusion.

wish

I'm very sorry, I misread your post.

His PR Card is still valid, right? He's okay to come back directly to Canada as long as the PR Card is still valid. The options I outlined are for once his PR Card has actually expired.

Sorry for the confusion.
Thank you very much Riley. That helps a lot. Appreciated.