Self employment permanent resident

ChristinaUK

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I am currently on an open work permit via my partner's study visa.

I am self employed as I am still employed by my UK based company

They do not have a Canadian office. I am trying to see if or how I can apply for permenant residence.

I have a contract with them so my job is not at risk.

I use a co-working space paid by them.

I pay a substantial amount of taxes as self employed and am up to date on all my taxes.

Is there any work a rounds, salary brackets that can help.

The Canadian immigration website has so much information it's hard to figure out if I can or cannot apply.

We are using an immigration service but they have actually just cost us money and are not very helpful at all.

Any help would be fantastic even if you could just point me in the right direction.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
The first question I have is, are you working with someone legally authorized to provide assistance with immigration in Canada? There are a lot of charlatans out there. You want know that the person is an RCIC or a lawyer in Canada.

So emigrating as a self-employed person is difficult and usually confined to a limited number of professions. But if you are just on contract with a company, that work may be eligible for you to immigrate as a Federal Skilled Worker or through Federal Skilled Trades, depending upon the work.