New Permanent Residents with Immigrant Visa Status

evelynracho

Hello,

Can anyone help me please, myself and my family is currently have an Immigrant Visa Status in the Philippines and it is expiring very soon, we were supposed to go to Canada and fly on March 18th but due to travel ban and corona virus the manila airport did not allow us to board on the plane. What can we co now? Who do we get help to look into our situation? We are evn stuck here in Manila can't even go back home to our province yet due to lockdown. Couldn't get a hold od Immigration for help, tried to contact web form but no response yet till 30 days by the time our visa will expire. Is there a way we can get an exemption to travel prior to our visa expiration? Please Help

ganny

Here is my situation with my mother’s PR.

Currently she is staying in Canada as a temporary resident. Already extended her stay and it is valid till 4/18/2020.
She had received her CoPR in Nov, 2019 and it expires on 4/24/2020. I have made several attempts with IRCC to schedule an appointment to confirm her landing through phone and email. But so far I haven’t received any response.
Finally, I have decided to go to the border today (3/27) with the assumption applicant with confirmed PR can do the flag poling based on the announcement in the IRCC website. But we were refused to exit Canada saying that flagpoling is not an essential service and they asked us to contact IRCC. But right now there is no way to contact IRCC other than sending emails since their operations are limited or closed.
I am worried what will happen to mom’s PR if it crosses the expiry date and if we don’t do the landing. I did a big mistake of not going to the border since we dont have the US VISA. Any guidance will be really helpful. Thank you.

ganny

I think he should coordinate with his own territories first. Considering someone exiting the country and entering back, just doing the flag poling will be safest.

evelynracho

Here is my situation with my mother’s PR.

Currently she is staying in Canada as a temporary resident. Already extended her stay and it is valid till 4/18/2020.
She had received her CoPR in Nov, 2019 and it expires on 4/24/2020. I have made several attempts with IRCC to schedule an appointment to confirm her landing through phone and email. But so far I haven’t received any response.
Finally, I have decided to go to the border today (3/27) with the assumption applicant with confirmed PR can do the flag poling based on the announcement in the IRCC website. But we were refused to exit Canada saying that flagpoling is not an essential service and they asked us to contact IRCC. But right now there is no way to contact IRCC other than sending emails since their operations are limited or closed.
I am worried what will happen to mom’s PR if it crosses the expiry date and if we don’t do the landing. I did a big mistake of not going to the border since we dont have the US VISA. Any guidance will be really helpful. Thank you.
Right at his time, i feel and hear you because it is very difficult to contact IRCC due to high volume of calls they get, but have you tried to contact IRCC via "web form"?

ganny

Thanks evelynracho. Talking to an agent is not even an option, when you press 0. Looks like the agent calls are temporarily suspended. I just sent the web form today.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I believe the call centre is closed due to COVID-19. All non-essential offices are in most parts of Canada at the moment.

evelynracho

Hello I have another question, let's say you will be PR when you arrive to Canada, and you decided to work somewhere else because your allowed to,instead of working to the employer that process your LMIA, would that be totally ok? Just a curiosity.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
The moment you land and receive your PR status you have essentially the same rights as a Canadian citizen (with a few exceptions). So you can definitely change jobs once you are a PR.

The issue is intent: when you agreed tot he job offer and used it to attain PR, did you plan on never working for this company? If that's true, and it can be proven, your PR could be revoked (or even your citizenship if you get citizenship before your PR is revoked). I want to stress that such a claim has to be proven for PR to be revoked.

evelynracho

The moment you land and receive your PR status you have essentially the same rights as a Canadian citizen (with a few exceptions). So you can definitely change jobs once you are a PR.

The issue is intent: when you agreed tot he job offer and used it to attain PR, did you plan on never working for this company? If that's true, and it can be proven, your PR could be revoked (or even your citizenship if you get citizenship before your PR is revoked). I want to stress that such a claim has to be proven for PR to be revoked.
When I agreed to the offer, I also agreed to work for that company but with the Covid-19 is going on and it's so hard to find a rental place in that big city and i can't seem to find the rental rate, so I was thinking to stay in a small city and save money first coz i can do any jobs when I get to Canada. But if it is an issue, then will need to change my plan again.

lysagrey

Huh I hope you managed to figure out your problems. I have had a mental breakdown because of Corona as well. I have ha the break down because at the start of 2020 I was suppose to move to Los Angeles after obtained an E1 visa. It was actually a huge journey for me because I am originally from Europe and I have been working in Vancouver for the past few years but I recently got a job offer in LA and so I had to stat the process of getting a visa. Since it was my first time applying I decided to get a lawyer. I wanted one that was based in the LA are so I googled e1 visa Los Angeles and actually found a list of companies that helped people like me get the necessary documentation so that you are ready to send in your case to the government. I was really worried at first but my lawyer assured me that everything will be okay and he was right. I think that I was really lucky though because I had an amazing lawyer. He really helped me out. I am currently in La but it took em awhile because of the traveling ban so I understand your frustrations. The only thing I can say is that everything will work out in the end.