Purpose of travel for common law spouse travel exemption

I'm a Canadian citizen and my common-law partner is to travel to Canada soon. We have prepared all the documents for him to satisfy the common-law spousal travel exemption.

I'm just wondering what should he put for his purpose of travel; we plan to marry and live in Canada and in turn apply for his PR but I'm not sure he should say he plans to do that.

The exemption is that if we are common-law spouses (which we are) and his trip is longer than 15 days he can come in but should we not say he intends to stay in Canada longer than his visa would allow (6 months) or just that he plans to stay temporarily? He has a valid ETA

Thank you so much!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
In normal circumstances if his sole purpose of travel is to come to Canada to marry you and get sponsored he will likely not be allowed in. Usually there is this delicate balancing act called "dual intent" where he has the intent to visit you in Canada and leave when his status expires unless of course he happens to apply successfully for PR in the interim.

But I have no idea if this normal reasoning applies during the pandemic, sorry.

PhilParsons4YqK

As far as I know, if you are planning to get married in Canada and live there, then your partner has to apply for a marriage visa. You need to prepare a lot of documents, and also be ready for an interview. The government wants to prevent any fake marriages that allow one of the spouses to get a residence permit or Canadian citizenship. My sister got married to a UK citizen recently, and she is Canadian. We thought that there shouldn't be any problems with that, but it wasn’t like this. Thankfully, they found a lawyer on https://waymanandlong.co.uk/ and he helped them to make everything legal and avoid any problems in the future.

Last edited: