31 Days Short for PR renewal in 5 years

Ahsan Faridi

Hi, I am 31 days short for PR renewal within 5 years. My five years completed in September 15, 2020. Should I apply after completing 31 days or take more time? Please need valuable guidance. Thanks

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You should take more time, as much as you can. We suggest at least a year more than the minimum, if you can stand to be without a PR Card for that long. The longer you wait to renew, the less likely your application will be investigated and, therefore, delayed. (Also, if you can wait out the pandemic a bit, you can wait out those longer processing times.)

I know there are some companies and organizations who do not think they recognize your COPR or your landing paper as proof of PR, but they are.

So, basically, if you need your PR Card sooner than a year from now, you should renew it once you meet the requirement. Otherwise, wait as long as you can. If you renew in a month it's still going to take forever (because of the pandemic and because of your days in Canada) so it might end up taking a year anyway.

Sorry for the bad news.