Amount requrired for Study visa

Kelley

How much funds/amount should I need to show with my study permit applicatoin? Please giuede me in detial as I am a bit confuse about this?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If you are applying to a school outside of Quebec you will need to show you have tuition + CAD$10,000. If you are applying to a school in Quebec, you will need to show you have tuition + CAD$11,000.
If you are bringing anyone with you, you will have to prove you have more money than that: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how-documents.asp#doc3

happy

Hello:

I am currently in Canada on a visitor's visa but I want a career change and want to enrol in a private school here. If the school I'm applying to has offered me a payment plan, and I make a deposit and get my acceptance letter, and also bring copies of my common law partner's work permit, payslips, and a job letter to show how I will cover my living expenses, would I be eligible for a study visa?

Also, would I be able to apply for a study visa for my daughter as well who is currently out of the country. And finally, one of the requirements I read online says that I have to prove that I have transportation back to my country after my studies, will I need an open plane ticket as proof?

happy

Hello:

I am currently in Canada on a visitor's visa but I want a career change and want to enrol in a private school here. If the school I'm applying to has offered me a payment plan, and I make a deposit and get my acceptance letter, and also bring copies of my common law partner's work permit, payslips, and a job letter to show how I will cover my living expenses, would I be eligible for a study visa?

Also, would I be able to apply for a study visa for my daughter as well who is currently out of the country. And finally, one of the requirements I read online says that I have to prove that I have transportation back to my country after my studies, will I need an open plane ticket as proof?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
Anthony Doherty, one of our Registered Immigration Consultants, is going to respond to you more fully.
But the short, non-expert answer is that CIC will accept the information you are providing for your study permit, provided you are applying to an eligible institution.
How old is your daughter? What level will she be studying?
What's your partner's occupation?
As for the transportation home, as far as I understand it, you must demonstrate you have the financial means to return home, and reasons to return home, but you do not have to actually provide a plane ticket.

Anthony Doherty

Hey there,

Your daughter, depending on her age can study in Canada provided that one of her parents is authorized to work or study in Canada.She must enter Canada with a parent who is authorized to work or study in Canada or you apply for a study permit at the visa office before she comes to Canada. You do not need to provide a return ticket, just demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to purchase one.

Hope this helps

Anthony

happy

Thanks for your response. My daughter is 14 years old, and my partner is a long haulage trucker in Ontario. She should be going to a secondary school. I was hoping that maybe people have presented a payment plan etc before and based on your experience you could tell me if anyone had ever been turned away by presenting such info?

I should also mention that my daughter was originally in the US and had overstayed by nine months and when I had applied for her visitor's visa to Canada she was declined. The reason given was that they didn't think enough evidence was given to prove that she would return to her country of origin. Would this prevent her from getting the study visa when I apply for and receive mine?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
My understanding is that CIC cares that you are enrolled, not where you are at with paying school fees. So you should be okay. We do not know of anyone who has been turned down for a study permit because of a payment plan.

I will let Anthony answer the question about your daughter's visa.

Anthony Doherty

From the information you have have provided you are eligible to apply for a study permit. Your daughter is also eligible for a study permit on the basis that you receive your study permit. After you receive your study permit I would recommend that you leave and then re-enter Canada with your daughter and explain the situation to the border officer. I would also recommend that you seek a consultation with an immigration expert as this seems to be a complicated case especially with the fact the your daughter was denied a visitor visa.