Appeal process without a lawyer?


New Member
Hi, I'm in the process of appeal for PR. I was issued a removal order, so I filed for the appeal. (this was about a year and a half ago.)

In my understanding, the reason for the denial of renewal for my PR was that they didn't recognize about two years worth of my time spent in Canada, because the Canadian border officer didn't stamp my passport/whatever they needed to do to put my arrival on the record, when I travelled to the U.S. and came back. (So basically, there were just two consecutive records of me going outside of Canada which were almost two years apart, without the record of my return which was supposed to be there)

I read somewhere that in a case where I can just prove the initial reason for denial false, I can choose to file the necessary documents to do this without having to wait for the court call. But I don't know how to do this. Is this something I can do on my own? or do I need a lawyer? I'm hesitant to go to a lawyer because I just don't have the money for it.

Riley Haas

Staff member
Unfortunately your very question is one that I cannot answer (I don't have the knowledge or qualification) and I'd recommend a consultation with one of our consultants ($150+HST). I understand you don't want to spend the money, but figuring out your options might be better than struggling through.
Alternatively you can look for an settlement organization, to see if any of them can give you some free legal assistance.

Sorry for the bad news.