Application

ncookie86

I read on CIC that people waiting to be approved for the sponsorship process can apply for an open work permit, but I can't seem to find the application?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but only if it's an "inland" sponsorship. From your other post it sounds like you are applying "overseas" (i.e. she will be outside of the country during part of the application).

ncookie86

We have decided that she will come here during the process, so that would be considered inland right? We have not submitted the application yet and she will come here for the allotted 6 months at the end of March.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
No, inland is when she comes here before you sponsor her and then you sponsor her. Overseas is when you sponsor her while she is not here. So if she visits after the application has started, that's overseas.

If she is coming at the end of March, what date to you intend to submit the application?

ncookie86

She has to sign all of the application paperwork still so she will come as a visitor first and then we will submit the application

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So it will be inland. So she can then apply for the open work permit at the same time. And they are getting approved as quickly as ever right now (6 weeks or less sometimes).

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If you apply in Canada, the form can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

ncookie86

Hello again! On the application document checklist, it asks for a copy of a job offer, does she have to have that to submit the application? She has a job in the US that has locations in Canada, so she can transfer, however the company will only do the transfer once the permit is approved. I thought I read she can apply for the open work permit as long as the sponsorship is in process?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
Just wanted to make sure you are completing the correct form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Because she is applying as part of a sponsorship, she does not need a job offer. If she was applying for an "intra-company transfer" visa (as, it seems, she could) it would be a different process altogether. But since you are sponsoring her, she doesn't need to do that.

All you need is the application linked above and the fee, far as I know.

ncookie86

There are 2 things of the document checklist for the application you posted the link for. And we won't have because the company will only do the transfer once she has a work permit. The "letter of Employment " and copy of "LMIA" can we just ignore these since we will be applying for the sponsorship at the same time?
I really appreciate the help, thank you again, this whole process is very overwhelming.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need either a job offer or an LMIA for these sponsorship work permits. Here is an article that gives a little more detail: http://www.immigroup.com/news/work-canada-while-your-sponsorship-application-process