AussieIEC Expiring Soon - Apply to extend stay as Visitor or Temporary Resident?

immisamm

Hi, My Australian IEC expires in 31 days and Im looking at applying to extend my stay as a visitor. Im British and Australian and I know that I dont need a visa to visit canada, however this is better than leaving the country and returning - it means I can just pay $100 and apply online and stay right? (Im scared of being turned away at the border, even as visitor as they might think I wont leave.)

And if so, do I apply as Visitor or Temporary Resident Visa?

I've applied for PNP, which is being assessed. I havent worked since I've been here as Ive had savings and still do (and can show I can support myself) but I do have a second job interview this week, who said about sponsoring me via my PNP application.

Alternatively I thought about collecting my documents and trying to get a work permit at the border? Worst case scenario I may get only visitor?

Please advise asap!!

Thanks!!

Anthony Doherty

Hey Immisam

If you are still under the age of 31 you can re-apply for the IEC working Holiday. This would probably be your best option. If you are 31 or older you can either go to the border or submit an application to change your status to visitor and wait until your PNP application reaches a decision.

Hope this helps.

immisamm

Hi Anthony! Many thanks for your reply! I have 2 more questions:

1. Yes I thought the best option is to apply to extend stay as Visitor. But is it Visitor or Temporary Resident Im applying for?

2. At the back of my working holiday permit it says if i want to extend stay as a temporary resident (visitor, student, worker) that i should do so 30 days prior to expiry. My permit expires in 31 days. However, I read somewhere that Im best off applying a day before expiry, as I'll be able to remain here under 'implied status' until I get my visitor visa, and therefore maximise my stay. This feels like Im playing with fire however?

Anthony Doherty

hey Immisam

You will be changing your status to visitor. You can apply now to change your status to visitor by submitting an application to change the conditions of your status.

What age are you and which PNP have you applied for?

immisamm

Hi again,

I'm 33 going on 34 in a few weeks arghhhh!

I've applied for Community Identified in NS, I'm doing voluntary and community work to support the application and updating them whenever possible, plus with job interviews etc.

You think I should get a Visitor Visa now rather than later? As in, make use of Implied Status and therefore remain here longer? And should I apply for under or over 6 months? For example, am I more likely to get a Visitor Visa if asking for less than 6 months? :D

Anthony Doherty

Hey Immisam

When did you submit your NS PNP application? You should call the NS PNP for an update on your application. As long as you apply before your IEC expiry you will not be without status. In your application you should explain why you are changing your status and also show proof of funds as evidence that you support yourself while you are waiting on your PNP decision. You should start gathering the documents and prepare the forms and submit it within the next 3 weeks.

immisamm

Hi Anthony,

I called NS PNP today and its in a queue, the first phase of 'assessment'. I do have a letter saying its in assessment. Second phase is the actual assessment lol. They didnt give a time scale today. I submitted early March and received that letter early May, saying it will take 3 months or more.

Thanks for your advice. As far as I'm aware there are only three things required for Visitor - proof of finance, digital photo, passport. I found this out after doing the online tool on the cic website.

immisamm

I just asked this question in another post but perhaps its best I ask here, and thats removed.

How do you know if you have 'implied status' - does it say it on a confirmaion email after applying for a visitor visa or is it on the visa/permit itself when it arrives?

Anthony Doherty

Keep a copy of the application for your own records and also a copy of the mail receipt on the day you send it and a print out of your MY CIC account, this will confirm when they received the application. This alone is proof of implied status. Other than that there is no CIC document that indicates that you have implied status.

immisamm

Right, I see. Thanks very much. And you're sure that I can apply for Visitor Visa anytime before my WHP IEC expires, not at least 30 days before, as it does say on the back of the permit..

And sorry, am I applying for Temporary Resident Permit or Visitor Visa - just to double check. The online tool said I could do either (which is not helpful when its all so confusing in the first place).

Anthony Doherty

You are apply to change your status from worker to visitor. follow this guide

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5551ETOC.asp

Do not apply for a temporary resident permit!!!