Australian and Canadian Fiancee Immigration pre or post marriage?

Lawyernurse

My son who just returned from working 2 years in Whistler BC, met and has been dating his now Canadian fiancee for more than 1 year. They are both here in Australia now though she is returning in September to begin full time studies and my son wants to return in January 2019. They became engaged here in Sydney Australia but want to get married in Toronto Ontario in 2019 and my son wants to apply for permanent residency/Immigration.

They are wondering if it would be quicker/easier to apply for PR now or marry here now before she returns in September and apply for Outland PR...any advice you can give would be great! My son has a degree in Criminology and Policing with the aim of joining the NSW Police Force but if immigrates would love to look at joining the Canadian Police/Mounties.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
They should get married and she should sponsor him. It will be faster than immigrating other ways.

The difference between outland and inland is primarily regarding appeals; they cannot appeal a refused inland sponsorship application, whereas they could appeal a refused outland application. (If the application is solid, there shouldn't be a huge risk of refusal, though.)

Hope this helps.

Lawyernurse

So are you saying that it is easier than applying based on domestic partnership sponsorship? Also does she need to earn a certain amount of income to sponsor him? His fiancee will be at University full time and working part time but he will be working full time eventually when he gets a job?

Thanks in advance of response!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If you mean common-law, then yes, marriage is easier. For common-law sponsorship, they have to prove they have been living together for at least 12 months consecutively. They do not have to prove this if they are married.

The financial part of the sponsorship is at the officer's discretion, so there is no set amount. If they think they do not have enough money, they can ask her parents to pledge to support them if anything goes wrong.