Average time of sponsorship from US to CANADA

canadiangirl23

Me and my husband were married in June 2015 in New York, and I just sent in our application for family sponsorship this November. It is a fairly simple application it?s just him on the application as his daughter is not travelling with him she is in the custody of her mother. We did complete her medical so we can sponsor her in the future if needed. I am very confused about the processing times, it says it takes 39 months. Is that the maximum time or minimum and what is the average time that it usually take to process this type of application for sponsorship from New York to Canada. My worry is that it will take the full 3 years to do this and we just found out we have a baby on the way. Also is there another way we can apply for him to come to Canada while we wait on the sponsorship application like a work/study visa ? I think my main concern is figuring out if this process is going to be a full 3 years or more. PLEASE HELP ME TO CLARIFY the Canadian immigration website is highly confusing. Lastly he lives in New York and their office has a processing time of 39 month but the Los Angeles and Ottawa centre processing times are shorter. How do they determine where the application is processed.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
I'm sorry to say that's the average time it takes at the New York office. The good news is that your application will likely be processed by the Ottawa office, unless it's an unusual application (doesn't sound like it).
Because you sponsored him "outland" (as they call it), unfortunately there is no option for him to get a work or study permit. Had you submitted an "inland" application (the two of you submitting in Canada), then he could have applied for a permit at the same time.
Given that he is American, though, he can visit you whenever. He will have to convince the CBSA (the border guards) that he plans to return to the US after each visit, and he can do this by providing proof of employment, residence and accounts (stuff like that).
I believe that having a baby helps your case, so informing CIC of this (if you didn't already) is a good idea, too.

Hope this helps.

canadiangirl23

Thanks, that does help a lot I really appreciate it. I sent the application to the processing center in Mississauga, should i have sent it to Ottawa or New York or they will forward it to the correct office once its time? Also will they let me know which office is going to process my application, so if i do get lucky and it is Ottawa will I be informed?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Mississauga is correct! That's where they decide whether or not you can sponsor, then it is forwarded to the correct office after the 2 months (ish) it takes for your half of the application.

You can check your status online. In slightly more than two months your application to sponsor should be approved (provided you did everything right) and then you can check your status online to see where it's been sent to (hopefully Ottawa.

canadiangirl23

Thank You, well appreciated. This was the clearest answer I have received thus far, even the call center wouldn't directly answer my questions. Take Care!!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well the call centre has very strict rules they are supposed to follow.

I am glad that you found my answer helpful. Good luck to you.