British Citizenship

Hardwell23

Hi, I wanted to ask if there is any way I could be eligible to get a British passport through my father and I am not born in any British territory, he has British citizenship of the Cayman Islands, so I am born in 1999 and my father is not married to my mother, so I wanted to know what complications there would be or if it is possible for me to get my British passport

Hardwell23

I'm sorry but I can't understand where those last digits are, could you show me in this image which part are those digits, and in nationality it appears in my father's passport British Overseas Territories citizen

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well, in this one, it's in the middle of the top. This passport would be for a British Citizen.

On May 21, 2002 BOTCs became British citizens. If your parents were married, you would have automatically become a BOTC at your birth and a full British citizen on May 21, 2002. Because your parents were not married, you have to Register as a British Citizen first. https://www.immigroup.com/register-british-citizen

Hardwell23

In the image of the passport I sent, you are telling me that what I have to send you is the CODE, in my father's it is CYM.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you. That confirms that he's a BOTC. So what I said before is true, as far as I know:

On May 21, 2002 BOTCs became British citizens. If your parents were married, you would have automatically become a BOTC at your birth and a full British citizen on May 21, 2002. Because your parents were not married, you have to Register as a British Citizen first. https://www.immigroup.com/register-british-citizen

Hardwell23

So I can apply for my passport, but I had heard that the process for people over 18 is more complicated than for someone under 18, is that true? and I guess to start the process would be to visit the Cayman Islands or follow the process through the website

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well you have to Register as a British Citizen first. That will take a lot more time than your passport application.

You want to apply on the UK passport website.

Hardwell23

Thank you very much for your help, I wanted to ask is it not a problem for me to be an adult to get my British citizenship? I say this because I knew it would complicate things, but I don't see how it would affect my chances of becoming a British citizen.

dondimav

Hi. I have a similar question. My dad was born in what was British Guyana in 1945. His birth certificate says British Guyana. My mom is also from Guyana. I was born in Guyana in 1983 after it gained its independence. Would I be eligible for a British passport?
Thank you in advance.

Sparkle

Hi, pleass My late sister's husband is a british citizen,they were legally married,is there any possibility of her kids obtaining british passport without their father's consent since he has been relunctant in filling for them.One is 16Years whild the second one is 15 years.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
As long as he was a British citizen (by birth or naturalization) before they were born, they are British. They will need his birth certificate or naturalization certificate, though, as well as their parents' marriage certificate and their birth certificates listing him as their father.

Sparkle

As long as he was a British citizen (by birth or naturalization) before they were born, they are British. They will need his birth certificate or naturalization certificate, though, as well as their parents' marriage certificate and their birth certificates listing him as their father.
Thank you for your response, but you did not mention if they need his consent to pursue this, we might not be able to get his birth certificate but i have his expired passport with marriage certificate and birth certificate of the children, listing him as their father, will this suffice?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess that depends.

16 years old is "adult" in for UK (and Canadian) passports. So the elder child can apply without any issues.

The younger child will need their guardian's permission to apply, I suspect, but may depend upon where these children live.

As for the birth certificate: this is a really good question. Do you know where he was born? (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, somewhere else?)

Aruj

Hello. I have one question regarding if i can claim for British citizenship.
My mother and father were legally married at time of my birth. My father is UK national. He was in UK at time of my birth but became UK national after my birth . My date of birth is 2nd july 1993.
Please advise. Thank you

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If he became a UK citizen after your birth and you were not born in the UK or a UK territory, then you are not a British citizen. Sorry.