British Eligibility?

BEBRITISH

My father is a British citizen. He was born as a British subject in Indian in 1943. He moved to England in 1962, and obtained his citizenship. He later moved to the US where my siblings and I were born, each of us would like to obtain our British citizenship. My siblings and I were born in the following years, 1975, 1980, and 1996. Could you kindly explain if we are eligible for this citizenship and if so how we could obtain it. Thank you very much.

-Isa

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You are all British citizens (from what you've told me). You each need to submit the following documents to apply for UK passports: your father's certificate of naturalization/citizenship, your parents' marriage certificate, your birth certificates listing your father's name.

BEBRITISH

You are all British citizens (from what you've told me). You each need to submit the following documents to apply for UK passports: your father's certificate of naturalization/citizenship, your parents' marriage certificate, your birth certificates listing your father's name.
Thank you very much

Chichi

Hi, my late dad is a British citizen by naturalization but my mom is not.
He became a citizen before I was born in 1997 and before he got married to my mom.
I was born in Nigeria though and I have my birth certificate.
Am I eligible for British citizenship and what do I need to do?

Chichi

Thanks a lot for your reply Riley. I would also want to know if I need to provide any documents of my late dad to enable me claim British citizenship.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you will. You will need to prove he was a British citizen (naturalization, passport) and you will need to prove you are his son (your birth certificate with his name on it).

oshodi

Hello, i have a similar question, i just found out yesterday that my mother was born in the UK in 1961, she has not obtained citizenship yet, she has her birth certificate and her father's birth certificate, she does not have her parent's marriage certificate as it is a long time ago. What is the process for her to get her citizenship, we are currently in Nigeria and can i also get citizenship with this? thank you

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
She should be a citizen automatically due to birth. She should try to apply for a passport with her birth certificate.

In order for you to get a UK passport, you will need to apply with her birth certificate (so after she gets her passport), your birth certificate listing her name and your parents' marriage certificate.

oshodi

Thanks for the feedback. Both her parents are late and she may not have any other documents from them asides from the death certificate. She has her long form birth certificate, what are her chances of getting the passport.