British passport for a child.

tambuktu

Hi, could you please advise on the following : I'm expecting my child to be born in Ukraine soon. I have British citizenship with naturalisation. I'm born outside UK and I have dual citizenship. Can I apply straight away for a passport for my son after his birth? His mother is Ukrainian and we are married, if this matters.

Thanks in advance for the answers

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, you can apply straight away. You need to provide your son's translated birth certificate listing your name, plus your UK passport and your marriage certificate (translated if necessary).

tambuktu

Yup, you can apply straight away. You need to provide your son's translated birth certificate listing your name, plus your UK passport and your marriage certificate (translated if necessary).

Thanks very much for your reply, Riley.
Any idea if that's all the document which I will need?
Because I've read that I might need quite a lot more.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
What else have you read about?

Because you naturalized before your son's birth, he is British so you just have to prove:
  • you are British (passport, and maybe proof of naturalization if passport doesn't show date of naturalization)
  • that he is your son (birth certificate and marriage certificate)

Max

Hi Angels,

Looks like you ae helping lot of people. Thank you.

Story of my life:
I am UK citizen( Born outside UK but naturalized here since very long time). Was married but separated now for long time( Not legally divorced) . I do have a child on the way from my south African partner- we are not married and we don't intend to get married.

Question:
1)Can my born child be eligible for British passport as soon as it's born ?

2)Home office website says that I cannot be away for more than 270 days abroad in 3 years period . I work in cargo ships and usually away from UK for 5/6 months at a stretch and then home for 2-3 months . So, iam confused if criteria is not to be out of UK for more than 270 days in a stretch or in total 270 days out of 3 years ? If it's at a stretch then Iam fine but if its total 270 days in 3 years then won't my shipping job be considered as an exception ?I am UK taxpayer and every year file my returns form here and have properties in UK and iam always here when not working.

3) Can child's mother get UK passport after few years based on the child's nationality ?

Sorry, too many questions. Will appreciate any insight

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Let me try to answer your questions:
  1. The answer to this question would normally be yes. But, given that you are not divorced from your previous partner this may complicate the circumstances. The UK historically has been funny about marriage. (Until 2006 your parents needed to be married to inherit citizenship from a father only, for example.) So I don't know for sure. The best way to find out is to apply for your child's passport using your proof of citizenship and your child's birth certificate listing your name.
  2. You're a citizen, right? This sounds to me like a rule for non-citizens. Can you provide a link?
  3. No, it doesn't work that way. She'd have to get citizenship through you or by immigrating normally.
Hope this helps.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
This is an application for Registration as a British citizen, which is for people who are eligible for a British passport but have to prove their citizenship first. It may apply to your child, only because you are not currently divorced but it doesn't apply to you. (Also I couldn't find the line about 270 days. What page is it on?)

Again, I should stress I have no idea if your marital status affects your child's UK citizenship because this is the first time I've heard of this particular situation. I don't believe it does, but I want to be very careful.