Can I leave the country while my PR is being processed?

LeoB

Hi there,
The following is my current situation:
I moved to Canada to be with my fiancé. Upon arriving in Canada I was found out that my visa is a closed work permit. We then decided to move the wedding forward to help me obtain PR quicker. My question is, while my PR application is being processed am I able to leave the country for travel or return home to work during this period?
Bear in mind I have recently completed both a medical, police background check and my biometrics all within the last two months.

Best.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you can leave the country. I would strongly suggest traveling with your fiance. Traveling with your fiance looks good - it makes the relationship look legitimate - whereas traveling without could raise concerns.

LeoB

Yes I can see how travelling with my fiance would look better. However she will have commitments at that time and will be unable to leave. The main reason I would leave would be to work for a couple months while my PR is being processed. As I will not be able to work in Canada until my PR has been approved.
Thank you also Riley for you hasty reply.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
You can apply for an open work permit because you are getting sponsored. However, it will take some time.