Canada work permit issue

sanr_85

I'm working in the US currently and my company has an office in Toronto, Canada. My US visa is expiring in July 2022, so I had asked my company to process a Canada work permit for me, so I can move to Canada in July 2022. My company is also processing green card for me, which is in the initial phase. It will take at least a year for me to get a renewed US visa. They started the Canada WP process in Oct 2021, but then they reached out to me in Nov 2021 with the below response

"We had originally reviewed getting you an LMIA work permit for Canada. This process is very drawn out and has a lower rate of approval then we would normally like.
However, we have now managed to get a few other details in line for us to consider GTS work permits for Canada. This is a similar work permit but goes through a facilitated process and would give us a much better approval rate. We are working our Canadian immigration attorneys to enroll our company in this program in order to facilitate your Canada work permit.
The process of enrolling in the Canada GTS will take a few months, but once set up you should be able to get a Canada work permit in a few weeks to a month rather than the current 8 months through the LMIA process.
We are working with Local Counsel in Canada to enroll in this process as quickly as possible, but please note that this will still take time. In the mean time you will likely not receive many updates from our team, but please rest assured that we have you on our tracker and will be keeping a close eye on timelines to make sure we can avoid a work gap for you."

Now, today they reached out to me saying that my Canada WP process is having a lot of delay due to the OMICRON related delays in Canada IRCC, and that I won't get a work permit by July 2022, so I will have to relocate to India and work from India. I have not got an accurate answer from my company yet to understand what exactly is the problem in my case, or what are my options. They said they can give more information next week, which I feel is late for me. I want to start pursuing other options immediately

Can somebody please let me know what are my options now other than relocating to India? I have 5 months left in the US. My spouse and kid is also with me in the US, so I have to take them to Canada along with me. I thinking of applying an open work permit or employment based work permit myself

1. Is it possible for me to apply an open work permit myself and get it approved in this 5 month span?
2. Can I take my spouse and kid with me if I have an open work permit?
3. Can I join my same company in Canada when I reach there with an open work permit?
4. If I get an offer letter to join my company's Canada office, will that speed up the work permit process for me in this 5 month duration?

Kindly help me with your suggestions and inputs on this..

IMMIgroup

Get Answers!
Staff member
Phone
+1-416-962-2623
Web
https://immigroup.com
Email
[email protected]
1. Is it possible for me to apply an open work permit myself and get it approved in this 5 month span?

You will need first a job offer to Canada and assuming you are doing this yourself, it will have to be with a new company. This will require an LMIA.

2. Can I take my spouse and kid with me if I have an open work permit?

Yes, if you get approved and included the family in the application.

3. Can I join my same company in Canada when I reach there with an open work permit?

No.

4. If I get an offer letter to join my company's Canada office, will that speed up the work permit process for me in this 5 month duration?

Probably not