Canadian Citizen interested in applying for dual citizenship to the UK

Dezie

Hello,

I am a Canadian Citizen interested in applying for dual citizenship to the UK.

My mother was born in Sheffield, England in 1957 which (correct me if I am wrong) automatically makes her a British Citizen.

I was born in Canada in 1993 which (again correct me if I am wrong) would automatically make me a British citizen.

Where I am confused is what my mother's circumstance was at the time of my birth. She moved to Canada in the 70's and received her Canadian

Citizenship. She does not hold a British passport. How do I know if she still holds British Citizenship?

Am I eligible to apply for a Britsh passport or do I need to apply for British Citizenship first?

I don't want to apply for the passport and lose my money if I am ineligible. Can someone please help?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dezie,
Unless she formally renounced her citizenship to the UK authorities when she came to Canada she is still a British citizen.

So you should be a British citizen too and you should be able to apply directly for a passport with your birth certificate (listing her name) and her birth certificate.

Dezie

Hi Dezie,
Unless she formally renounced her citizenship to the UK authorities when she came to Canada she is still a British citizen.

So you should be a British citizen too and you should be able to apply directly for a passport with your birth certificate (listing her name) and her birth certificate.
Thank you for your response! I have a question about how having dual Canadian and Britsh citizenship would affect my income tax. Do you have any insight on this or where I could direct this question?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
In and of itself it doesn't affect your income tax. If you were in Canada earning money from a UK corporation (or vice versa) it might.