Canadian Citizenship of an Adopted Child

eleanorj

We adopted our children from Russia in 2004. Time is running out for me (Canadian mom living in US) to be able to apply for their Canadian Citizenship. I'm starting the process but the forms are quite confusing as to what needs to be mailed when with PART 1 or PART 2 of application and of course, there isn't a phone number out there for anyone to help me!

So... what document need to be mailed with Form CIT-0010 Confirmation of Canadian Citizenship of the Adoptive Parent(s) PART 1?
Is the birth or adoption certificate of the child needed with PART 1?
Are the photos being sent with PART 1?
PART 1 mentions sending the checklist, is that form CIT 0014? or another checklist?
Are the scenario on CIT 0014 for the adoptive parent or the child? I'm thinking Scenario 3 is the closest to our situation (Canadian mom, born in Canada after 1947, not living in US (dual citizenship US/Canada), adopted children in 2004 from Russia, children under 18).

Fees were paid in 2 months ago, just didn't get around to gather everything mainly because the forms are so darn confusing about the requirements.

Do I need to mail my children's certificate of citizenship from the United States? Or copies of the Russian passport?

I also need help understanding the requirement for certified translation. Documents will be translated by a Canadian certified translator. I figured it would be easier than trying to find someone nearby in US trying to meet Canadian's standard of affidavit since nobody seems to know what they're talking about and all are stating their certified translation is enough. Once I have the translation, I am to mail certified copies of the Russian (in my case) document and a certified copy of the certified translation? Meaning, the original birth & adoption documents do not need to be mailed or altered in any ways with a certification, correct?

This is very confusing and we do not want the application returned and are trying to get everything sent in correctly on the first time. Kiddos will be 16 & 17 next April. Time to get the ball rolling...

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member

eleanorj

Thanks. Read both guides already and still confused. So, if I don't send all they want, they will just return the application and request the additional documents?

eleanorj

Well there. As many times as I've looked through that application, I had yet to see the checklist from PART 1! It all makes a lot more sense now and seems that I have almost everything ready.

Certified copies? Does the certification need to be written on the actual copy or can it be stapled? IF it has to be written on the actual copy, can it be on the back? There isn't much room left when birth/adoption certificate are copied. Lastly, does the certification have to be handwritten or can it be printed then signed?

Thank you!

eleanorj

One more thing on the certified copies...

CIC states: "Translators who are certified in Canada don’t need to supply an affidavit. A certified translator will provide both a certified translation and certified copies of the original documents."

Does it mean the translator also needs to be the person that certifies the copies of the original documents? Sounds like it. Since I can't find anyone near me and it's all done online now days, I was going to get a translator from Canada to avoid having to deal with the affidavit, also means they won't touch my originals, only the PDFs I send. Hmm..

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. Read both guides already and still confused. So, if I don't send all they want, they will just return the application and request the additional documents?
They might request more documents or they might just send it back. It depends upon both how much (and what) you are missing and whether or not the person reviewing it is being nice.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well there. As many times as I've looked through that application, I had yet to see the checklist from PART 1! It all makes a lot more sense now and seems that I have almost everything ready.

Certified copies? Does the certification need to be written on the actual copy or can it be stapled? IF it has to be written on the actual copy, can it be on the back? There isn't much room left when birth/adoption certificate are copied. Lastly, does the certification have to be handwritten or can it be printed then signed?

Thank you!
I believe the certification is stamped, normally.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
One more thing on the certified copies...

CIC states: "Translators who are certified in Canada don’t need to supply an affidavit. A certified translator will provide both a certified translation and certified copies of the original documents."

Does it mean the translator also needs to be the person that certifies the copies of the original documents? Sounds like it. Since I can't find anyone near me and it's all done online now days, I was going to get a translator from Canada to avoid having to deal with the affidavit, also means they won't touch my originals, only the PDFs I send. Hmm..
In most countries, certified copies or documents and certified translations are two different things. A certified translator says "This is an accurate translation of this document" whereas a Notary Public says "This copy is an accurate copy" and a certified copy from the original issuing agency says "This is an exact copy of the original we issued". I didn't know Canadian translators could both certify the copy and certify the translation, but you should go by what the website says.