CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION

chella99

My son has applied in mid June 2020 for his citizenship. However, until now, he has not received any response from IRCC acknowledging the reciept of the application. Is the delay due to Covid 19 aspects ? Any other matters to this ?

Thanks

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, absolutely it's due to the pandemic.

Are citizenship applications still on paper? (I think they are...) If they are, this means even greater delays, because many offices have been mostly or completely closed since March, so paper applications are only occasionally retrieved (whereas online applications can be done remotely).

chella99

My wife has fulfilled all the requirements for applying for citizenship. But she is currently out of Canada for some reason. Can she send the application directly from abroad, but quoting a Canadian address which is her own home ?
Should she need to expressly mention about this ?
Thanks.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
She should be in Canada when she submits the application but, if she's met the residency requirement, I guess she could submit in theory. I don't know what to tell you here, as I'm not sure if it would be bad if she submits it while she's overseas. Is she coming back soon?

Brenda

My husband submitted his citizenship application last year (IRCC site shows app received Aug. 4, 2019, acknowledged Nov. 18, 2019, and processing started Dec. 4, 2019). Thought his case would be relatively straight forward as he is a British citizen, we have been married 14 years, and he is over age 65 (so no testing required). However, his application is still "in process." Just wondering if this falls within normal range at this time.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't however normal processing times went out the window in March when everything closed due to the pandemic.

To the best of my knowledge most government workers are still working from home, and that's a problem for paper applications like the citizenship application because they are likely physically in the office.

What I've heard is you should expect all applications to "double" in processing time. However, your husband's application would have been well on its way to being finished in March, so he might be able to expect something sooner than next summer.

The bad news is that citizenship tests have been cancelled: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test.html I don't know when these will resume.

The good news is that they are doing the Oaths online: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...ces/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html#oath

Brenda

I don't think my husband is required to take a language test or citizenship test as he is a native English speaker (British) and over 55 years of age. At least that is our reading of information on the IRCC website. That's one of the reasons we continue to hope that it will not take another year to process.

Sravani

We applied for PR in July 2020, however, we have not received any acknowledgement of our application. When we sent a followup email requesting for AOR, we received a reply (in Apr 2021) that said 'We have received your application and it will be processed according to the date it was received.' Post this email, we have not heard anything.

Is this delay due to Covid 19?
For those who applied in June/July 2020, have you heard from IRCC about your application status? Is there a tentative timeline we can look at for our application?
Thank you for any information!
-Sravani

seeker7

Hello everyone,
One of the questions in the citizenship application is
Have you ever held travel documents or passports during your 5-year eligibility period?
Other than the passport what other travel documents should we upload here.
I have been in the US previously. I have the visa page in the passport for a certain period. Then for the other periods, I have the I-797 and I 129 petitions.
Should I upload all of them? or just the visa is enough?
Anyone who had a similar situation pls help. Thanks

chella99

Dear All,

My wife had applied for citizenship after fulfilling all conditions. After about 10 months, she recd a letter in Sep 2022 asking her to do finger printing. She did it at a private approved agency who said that it will send the results to RMCP (Royal Mounted Canada Police) directly, who, in turn, will forward the same to IRCC, after its own verification, investigation, etc.

We are quite worried as I understand from various net search that this may be required mainly for people with any crime or other suspicious acts. We do not have any such trails at all and live like a common normal humans with the day to day chores of life.

My ques are:
1. In what situations do they ask for fingerprinting ?
2. Does it mean that they have some deep suspicion or want to investigate something further ?
3. How much time may the RMCP take to complete its formalities and send its clearance to RMCP ?
4. If the RMCP has doubts or does not clear the fingerprints, what do they ask us to do ? What are the challenges that we may face ?
5. Does this delay the processing of the citizenship application enormously ?

I would be very thankful for valuable feedback.

ssa2022

Hi Everyone!
I need help in completing my Citizenship application.

Question is,
In the Citizenship application form, should i select 2018 and 2019 as "Not Required" to file Tax return? or required to file ? please refer screenshot.

Background:
I became Permanent resident in 2018, and spent total 129 Days in Canada in 2018 and left Canada in Dec 2018.
I didn't have any permanent lease rental, or job during this short stay.

In 2019, I was out of Canada the whole year.

I returned to Canada in Feb 2020 and living and working here till to date.
I have filed Income Tax return for 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.

2018 and 2019 return with ZERO Canadian income, I didn't declare my world income as I didn't spend more than 183 days in Canada to be tax resident.
2020 and 2021 return is filed with world income as I am working here and residing more than 183 days.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Attachments