Common-law partner sponsorship

Hao Tham

Till this Sep, my boyfriend and me have been living together for a year and are seeking for apply common-law partner sponsorship inland. Please answer my questions below:

1, my boyfriend is Canadian and is at school for last semester in Sep. That means he now doesnt have much income and his program starts since 2019. however, he worked full-time at manufacturing for few years before school time. Will he be eligible to be a sponsor? how can he prove that able to provide me basic needs. I am currently working so not really depend on him financially

2, we are both living with his family so we dont really pay rent. we dont have lease agreements or property for proof of relationship. Can his dad write a letter to show that both of us actually living with him?

Thank you so much in advance

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Let me try to answer your questions:
  1. There are two things that can be done here: the first is that you can show that you are working and earning money, the second is that he can ask one of his parents to co-sign the sponsorship application.
  2. Yes, his father can write a letter. But you should try to find as many receipts of joint expenses as you can to show that you are sharing them.
Hope this helps.

Hao Tham

Thank you so much for the reply

Which form will she/he sign if they are okay? from what I understand whatever form needed to be signed by my boyfriend then they have to sign on those forms as well. Is it correct?

What documents can he show that he able to sponsor me if he not working?

Thanks again

Hao Tham

thanks so much again. just one more question, is there a high chance that the application will get approval if his parents not become co-signers and he still is in school?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So every one of these applications is approved at the discretion of the person reviewing the file. But I think it's safe to say that, if there are concerns about whether or not you two can afford to live together then the application could be rejected. But if you're job's pretty good, and you show that, it might not be an issue. I can't personally say either way. A consultant or lawyer who has submitted many of these applications (as Immigroup has) might be able to give you a more definitive answer.