Common law sponsorship


New Member
I have been reading tons of information about spousal sponsorship as well as forum, trying to find similar situation to mine.

I would really appreciate if you clarify few things about my specific situation.

So here is the case:
I am a citizen of Ukraine living with my afghani boyfriend for last 2 years here in Ukraine. He is about to receive his Canadian PR and move to Toronto.
Unfortunately, since he is a refugee we couldn’t have proper legal documents about renting apartment together, utilities and so on (everything is on my name since im a citizen). The only thing we have is few train and bus tickets, pics, chats, location stored on our phones (don’t know if that’s even acceptable) and that’s about it.

Please advise, is it worth trying to apply for common-law? Or those evidences are clearly not enough?
Or we shouldn’t bother with that and easier would be just for me to come there with visitor visa , get married and then do the inland spousal together with open work permit?
The reason I’m asking is because we are happy together and love each other, but i do not want to pursue my boyfriend into marriage if he isnt ready for this step. So im trying to find all possible alternatives.
Thank you so much in advance!

Hello Kate,

You can sponsor your common-law partner from Afghanistan if he/she:
  • isn’t legally married to you
  • can be either sex
  • is at least 18 years old
  • has been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months, meaning you’ve been living together continuously for 1 year in a conjugal relationship, without any long periods apart
    • Any time spent away from each other should have been
      • short
      • temporary
If you or your common-law partner choose to end the relationship, we consider the relationship to be over.
You’ll need to give proof of your common-law relationship.Items that can be used as proof of a common-law relationship include:
  • shared ownership of residential property
  • joint leases or rental agreements
  • bills for shared utility accounts, such as:
    • gas
    • electricity
    • telephone
    • joint utility accounts
  • important documents for both of you showing the same address, such as:
    • driver’s licenses
    • insurance policies
  • identification documents