Consultancy or self application?

Munira

Hi. I am planning to apply for express entry and have started doing some research at initial stages. Is the process for application very complicated? There are plenty of consultancy/immigration offices in the market who claim to handle your entire application process for a fat sum of money. How authentic are they? Would it be beneficial to go through a consultant or do it myself? I would be glad to save some money if self application is not too complicated and time consuming.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
I can't give you an unbiased answer, because I work for Immigroup, which is run by three Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs). What I can say is that many people choose to apply themselves, and there are plenty of resources for you to do so successfully, such as this forum and other forums, IRCC's website, and immigroup.com. You would hire a consultant or a lawyer if you don't want to do the work yourself, you're concerned you won't get it right, or you would rather have someone submit the application who has submitted many. (I'm sure there are other reasons too.)

It's up to you whether or not you hire a consultant or a lawyer. But let me say this: if you do decide to hire a consultant or lawyer, you must make sure that consultant or lawyer is legally allowed to submit the application on your behalf in Canada. There are tons of consultants operating outside of Canada who are not authorized to help and cannot be punished if they take your money. You want to work with someone who is a member of a regulatory body in Canada because those consultants and lawyers are held to a high standard, and are punished if they ever defraud or misrepresent anyone. I cannot tell you the number of stories I've heard of people who've hired foreign consultants and been ripped off.