Crossing the border

ncookie86

I have started the application process to sponsor my wife who is a US citizen. We have not mailed the application as I am waiting for our marriage certificate. Our plan is that she come here for the 6 months and apply for an extension while we wait for the sponsorship to be approved.
I have a return ticket to California, and we plan to drive back to Canada so she can bring her dog, motorcycle and car. I've read a lot on this forum about possibly being denied at the border if it looks like you are intending to move here without the proper paperwork to do so.
I guess what I am asking is, if we just explain our intentions at the border, will she be denied entry? Technically she will be just visiting, but with the intention of her moving here once the sponsorship is approved.
We know if the extension doesn't get approved, she has to go back, and that's fine, she has family in the US that will help.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If you are applying before the two of you drive to the border, you should bring a copy of the application you have submitted, to show the guard it is in process. You should be prepared to defend your decision. So she needs to show that she is coming back to California before the application is approved. She will need a copy of her lease (or deed) and also proof of her job in California.
Alternatively, if you have not yet applied for sponsorship when she comes to visit, you will likely be asked to apply at the border. If that is what happens, then she will be able to enter permanently at that time (provided the application is later approved) and also she will be able to apply for a work permit at the same time.

Does this make sense?

ncookie86

She lives with friends and never signed an actual lease...but will have proof of employment. Will that be enough?
The sponsorship and immigration is such a lengthily process as I'm sure you know, and with the medical exam and background check, how is its possible to apply at the border? Is there a condensed version?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Proof of employment helps. I would also recommend bank accounts and anything else that will tie her to her house (utility bills, etc).

I am not an expert on the application at the border, however one of our staff did inland sponsorship at the border. I will ask her.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I misunderstood the application at the border. You inform the CBSA at the border that you intend to apply for inland sponsorship and then apply once you are allowed in. You may get hassled but the CBSA are supposed to let you in because of something called "dual intent" - they are not supposed to deny a temporary resident entry if they intend to become a permanent resident.
Again, my apologies for the confusion. I am just the site manager.