Do I understand correctly?

Roman58

Do I understand correctly:

If my card is expired abroad and I need to return to Canada:

1. If I get a permanent resident travel document, it means:
-- I have met the requirements to remain a permanent resident;
-- I can enter to Canada on any commercial carrier and private car;
-- The border officer will not ask questions about PR-card, which expired;
-- Upon entry to Canada, I can immediately apply for a new PR-card.

2. If I did not apply for a travel document, it means:
-- I can't enter to Canada on any commercial carrier;
-- I can enter to Canada on private car, or cross the border on foot?;
-- The border officer will ask questions about PR-liabilities.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Roman,
Let me try to answer your questions:
1. If I get a permanent resident travel document, it means:
-- I have met the requirements to remain a permanent resident;
-- I can enter to Canada on any commercial carrier and private car;
-- The border officer will not ask questions about PR-card, which expired;
-- Upon entry to Canada, I can immediately apply for a new PR-card.
If it is approved, yes you are still a permanent resident. And you can enter Canada with the travel document.
You should note that you can enter Canada without a PR Card by private vehicle provided you have some other proof of status, though you can expect some difficulties (questions, and maybe spending a few hours at the border).
The border officer will ask whatever questions they will ask you. Nobody can promise you what they will or won't ask.
You should not apply for your PR Card immediately unless you meet the residence requirements. You might be approved for a travel document, but then, because of time outside of Canada, you may be investigated for the residence obligation. It depends on how much time you spent in Canada before your PR Card expired. We always recommend that if you are even hundreds of days away from the minimum days in Canada, that you stop traveling until you have many more days in Canada.

2. If I did not apply for a travel document, it means:
-- I can't enter to Canada on any commercial carrier;
-- I can enter to Canada on private car, or cross the border on foot?;
-- The border officer will ask questions about PR-liabilities.
If you do not get a travel document:
  • You cannot travel to Canada on a commercial carrier if you otherwise require a visa to travel to Canada. If you do not require a visa, then you can still travel to Canada. Whether or not they let you in will depend on a bunch of factors.
  • You should be able to enter by private vehicle without the travel document provided you have your Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence with you. You can expect delays.
  • I have no idea what the border officer will ask you. But you should know that CBSA (the border agency) is not that the same as CIC (who issued your PR Card) and only share limited information with each other.

Hope this helps.

Roman58

Thank you for the answer.

One more question:

I can enter to Canada on private car, or cross the border on foot?

1. Private car - This is my car or my friends? Or it does not matter?
2. Cross the border on foot? ;) What can you say?

Best Regards...

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mean without the travel document? Yes, provided you have other proof of status (Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Verification of Status). If you do not have the proof of status document either, then you will have issues.

Keep in mind that anybody (regardless of status - be it citizen, PR or visa or permit holder) is going to raise suspicions if they enter Canada differently than the way they left. If you flew out, for example, prepare to have an explanation as to why you are driving or walking back. I am speaking from personal experience. I have been searched because I flew back into Canada after leaving by car.