Do my 6 year-old and 4-year old kid's need a Canadian passport when we enter Canada form US by car?

rubytangtw

My kids are Canadian who born outside of Canada. They are dual citizens of Canada and Taiwan. We haven't got their first Canadian citizenship and passport yet. We just sent his first Canadian citizenship application to the CIC from Taiwan 2 days ago. Can I drive him from US to Canada with his Taiwan passport by car? Are kids officially Canadian now because we are still in the process of applying the kids' Canadian citizenship?

We are not allowed to go into Canada by air without kid's Canadian passport. We miss kids' father a lot . And we haven't seen him since last September. Kids' father got his Canadian citizenship by naturalization 15 years ago. I am applying my PR now. Kids' father is working in Canada now.
We planned to stay in Canada for 2 months. Our plan is to purchase round way tickets from Taiwan to US. And enter Canada from US by car.
We really missed kids' father. Kids were crying for why they can't go to visit him and they miss him so much...sigh.
Thanks you so much for any information you share to us.

Ruby

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Do my 6 year-old and 4-year old kid's need a Canadian passport when we enter Canada form US by c

Hi Ruby,
Your kids are officially Canadian but they cannot prove that without citizenship certificates. When you try to enter Canada with them without citizenship certificates or passports, they will have to be given entry stamps in order to enter (which means they are not admitted as citizens, but as visitors). This will confuse things, even if they are admitted (of that there's no guarantee).
The other thing is that your children's citizenship certificates are being sent to Taiwan (unless you specified a different mailing address), meaning that your children will still not have these certificates when they are produced.
Look into expediting your children's citizenship certificates due to travel plans: https://citizenshipcertificate.ca/urgent/

rubytangtw

Re: Do my 6 year-old and 4-year old kid's need a Canadian passport when we enter Canada form US by c

Riley Haas said:
Hi Ruby,
Your kids are officially Canadian but they cannot prove that without citizenship certificates. When you try to enter Canada with them without citizenship certificates or passports, they will have to be given entry stamps in order to enter (which means they are not admitted as citizens, but as visitors). This will confuse things, even if they are admitted (of that there's no guarantee).
The other thing is that your children's citizenship certificates are being sent to Taiwan (unless you specified a different mailing address), meaning that your children will still not have these certificates when they are produced.
Look into expediting your children's citizenship certificates due to travel plans: https://citizenshipcertificate.ca/urgent/

Sir, I appreciate your replying so much. What if my kids who have dual citizenship of Canada and Taiwan use their Taiwanese passport to enter Canada from US by car. Is it legal or doable? My kids were born in Taiwan. Applying for the Canadian citizenship will take 9-13 months. This is what the staff told us, when we gave her application. Thank you so much.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member

They can try to be admitted as Tainwanese citizens, sure. It may lead to complications later on, though. I don't know for sure.