Duration for PRTD processing and validity

ship

Hello,

We have got our immigrant visas to Canada recently. It is valid till 4th April 2018. I am planning to travel along with my spouse and kid in January 2018. Post that I will be staying in Canada and collect my PR card. My spouse and kid will be travelling later to Canada again with the help of PRTD. I don't want to send the PR card to them through courier.

1. Could you please let me know if it's advisable to apply for PRTD for my spouse and kid who will be travelling from India?

2. Could you please let me know how many days (processing duration) IRCC takes to process the PRTD ?

3. For how many days does PRTD remains valid ?

Thanks

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I missed something here:
  • are you saying your spouse and child will land with you then leave again and return to Canada with PRTDs OR
  • are you saying you will land and then your spouse and child plan to travel to Canada on PRTDs?
Because if it's the latter, that's not possible. They have to land first, before April 2018. PRTDs are only for permanent residents outside of Canada. If they haven't landed, they're not permanent residents.

PRTDs take 2-3 weeks on average, but it depends upon the office (and processing times are not public).

PRTDs are usually one-time use and our issued with expiry dates based upon your travel plans.

ship

Thanks for your response. Yes, I meant my spouse and child will land with me in Jan 2018 and then leave again and return to Canada in May with PRTDs.