Express Entry with Canadian Small Business Experience

jaygii

Hello,

Can someone one give me some insights and advise regarding my situation. Currently:
  • I am on an post-graduate open work permit
  • I am working full-time for a company in Montreal and I reside in Montreal
  • I also have a side-business generating a small income. This business is registered in Ontario in partnership with a Canadian citizen. I own majority shares (51% + ) of the said business.
I feel like I will have to leave the full-time job to attend to the business to make sure the company can handle its growth. I can do my work at my small business contributes to the years of Canadian work experience which helps me get my PR after one year of experience.

Should I still continue to work for more than a year while running the business in parallel and then apply for PR and quit my job?

or

Am I able to quit my job and continue my business and still be eligible for PR with the work experience gathered from my work at my small business?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
It honestly depends upon whether or not your occupation at your small business classifies as "skilled work" as far as CEC is concerned but, more importantly, there may be a prohibition in the CEC rules about working for yourself. I don't know that there is, but there might be. Don't know off the top of my head. (The reason I say this is because, if they allow you to work for yourself, this would be a VERY easy loophole to exploit.)