Extension of open work permit program?

gavinbr

From what I can see from the CIC site, the December 22, 2016 end date for the open work permit for spousal sponsorship has been lifted indefinitely. (They say: "If you are sponsoring your spouse or partner under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada Class, they may be eligible for an open work permit." and there is no longer any mention of an end date for the pilot program.) Is that the case, or is it advisable to plan to get our process submitted by December 22 (we arrive from Brazil December 10 and plan to apply from within Canada). We have been putting off applying from Brazil specifically because of the possibility of her applying for a work permit, despite the shorter wait times for external applications.

Also, is it advisable for her to wait till she arrives in Canada to get her medical exam done, or are would an exam done with a chartered doctor here in Brazil be recognised for in-Canada applications?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
I don't see it on the guide either. But last year the announcement was made to renew the initiative only 11 days before the previous expired, so unfortunately we may not know for sure until December. You could try calling IRCC, but I doubt you'd get an answer as the call centre staff certainly have nothing to do with determining policy.

As for the medical exam, she could get one by contacting one of these doctors http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx but it will likely expire before IRCC gets around to assessing the application (as they are only valid for 6 months, I believe). I believe common practice is to wait until the exam is requested (unless she needs one for her visa application...)

Sorry I can't give you more specific information.

gavinbr

Thanks Riley. That helps, knowing that the medical is not a pre-requisite for the application, but something that they will request at some point during the process.

Other than the possibility of applying for an open work permit, the difference in processing times, and the appeals process, is there any other situation that we should be aware of in deciding between in-Canada and out-of-Canada application? We've been legally married in Brazil for a year and she has a new 5 year visitor visa; we are confident that we can demonstrate that the marriage is legitimate, and she has no dependants or health problems. I've been residing in Brazil since 2000, and will be returning to reside in BC in December with her. We plan to live in Canada for the foreseeable future, so it doesn't really make too much difference to us if the process takes one year or two, as long as she is allowed to work, but if there were any real advantage to us applying from Brazil before we make the move, it might be something for us to consider. Any thoughts?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have property in Canada at the moment? If not, then inland is probably the way to go. Because if you don't have property in Canada, but you apply overseas, the burden is on you to show the intent to reside in Canada, and that's an extra thing you'll have to include in your application.

gavinbr

No, I don't have property. It looks like applying from within continues to be our best bet. Thanks!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, if you the sponsor don't have strong ties to Canada while living abroad, that can be a big hurdle for an outland application (unless you move here first and she comes later).