Family sponsorship and dependent children

Rosario

Hi, I am a Canadian citizen married to a Chilean, living in Chile. We have two kids who are Canadian citizens as well. We are moving to Canada in May, and I want to sponsor my spouse once we are there. I have two questions:
- Do we need to include our two kids as dependent children when we complete the application, even though they do not need to be sponsored?
- Can my spouse enter Canada as a visitor (Chileans don't need visitor visa to enter Canada) and stay there indefinitely while the application is processed?

Thank you very much!!!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
To answer your first question, you do not need to sponsor your children, just your spouse.
As to your second: if you, your spouse and your children arrive at the border and say "We are moving to Canada" you will be required to prove that your spouse can leave Canada if the application is rejected. Otherwise you will be denied. Normal visitor validity is 6 months and the application for inland sponsorship takes 22 months. So your spouse will need to either apply for a work permit (which he or she can can do at the same time as you apply for sponsorship, and it should take less than 2 months for it to be approved) then, or can wait until the inside the country to apply for different status.

Hope this answers your question.

Rosario

Thanks so much Riley.
The problem is, I was born in Canada but I returned to Chile when I was 2 years old and haven't come back ever since, so I don't have an Option C Printout from the CRA (its required in the sponsor's application). Can I submit my application anyway?
So the best option for us would be to travel with all the required documents ready, so that we can complete our applications right there when we enter Canada, right?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Rosario,
Sorry, but that Option C question is something one of our consultants has to answer; I have literally no idea what that is.
I'm pretty sure that's your best option, but I am just the admin of the forum. If you want to be sure, I would recommend getting a consultation, which you could do over the phone or skype, if you're interested. It's CAD$84.75. You can book it by responding here, by emailing [email protected] or calling 416-962-2623.
But yes, I think if you have everything ready and show up at the airport, you should be allowed to apply to sponsor your spouse then and there.