Father is British, am I?

Dakarai

My father was born in 1962 in England to two British parents. He married my (American) mother in 1991 and I was born in the states in 1994. My sister (born 1996) received her British passport earlier in the year, and I am capable of getting one as well, but I guess I'm confused about the relationship between having a British passport and being a citizen. If I get the passport, does that make me a citizen? Would I be able to work and live in the UK?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there,
It is very confusing, so no wonder. The short version is that you are already a citizen and just need a passport to prove it. You can apply any time. Once you have your passport, you will be able to prove you have "The right of abode," i.e. the ability to live and work in the UK.

The long version, if you're interested, is that the UK has multiple types of nationality, only one of which is full citizenship (though some are converted into full citizenship). There are fewer than there used to be (some cannot be transferred through descent and so disappear as the holders die off) but there are still forms of British nationality that do not confer citizenship. Because your father was born in England in 1962, he is a citizen and so are you (because your parents were married at the time of your birth).