Finding fulltime employment after obtaining a Graduate Certificate

Good day!
I intend to enroll in a 1-year Postgraduate certificate program in either Human Resources or International Business Management by 2017.
If the college is included in the list of PGWPP, I believe I will be allowed to work for 1 year after my studies, is this correct?

My main goal is to be able to find full-time employment after my studies and eventually, apply for permanent residence.
Realistically speaking, is it feasible to accomplish this? Or will employers still tend to choose those who are already residents of CA?

I have over 3.5 working experience in Manila, Philippines; 2 years of which I was assigned to HR roles.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Alexandra,
Let me try to answer your questions:
I intend to enroll in a 1-year Postgraduate certificate program in either Human Resources or International Business Management by 2017.
If the college is included in the list of PGWPP, I believe I will be allowed to work for 1 year after my studies, is this correct?
That is correct. After the year, you will either have to apply for permanent residence (if that job you worked was a "skilled" occupation) or you will have to get a job offer, LMIA and new work permit.

My main goal is to be able to find full-time employment after my studies and eventually, apply for permanent residence.
Realistically speaking, is it feasible to accomplish this? Or will employers still tend to choose those who are already residents of CA?
This one I cannot answer, I'm sorry to say. If employers value your experience and education enough, they will want to hire you regardless. On the other hand, if you are competing against citizens and residents with the same skills, you can imagine they might want to hire people who appear to have more certain futures here.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your answers, Mr. Riley.

I just want to ask if you know whether minimum wage earners in Canada have to pay income taxes?

Also, on the subject of studying in Canada... If I intend to eventually apply for a job & permanent residence, is there a certain type of program i should choose? I see the options on the different Colleges'/Universities' websites. There are many types of programs like Certificate, Diploma, Associate's Degree, Post Baccalaureate, Post Degree Diploma etc...
Is there a minimum requirement I should study in order to be able to apply for a job & PR after?

Thanks again :)

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Everyone has to pay income taxes. The way it works in Canada is taxes are taken off your paycheck (in most cases) and then you get money back when you file your return, if you're eligible.

As to studying in Canada, the primary impact your program will have on your future in terms of immigration is the length of time you can work after you graduate, before you become a permanent resident, because the Post Graduate Work Permit's (PGWP) length is tied to the length of your program. So, if you have a year long ("degree granting") program, you'll only be eligible for a year long PGWP. You need at least one year of skilled work in Canada after graduation to qualify for Express Entry, through the Canadian Experience Class.