Flagpoling after getting PR

Sambi

Hello,
I just received my COPR letter and I believe the next step I need to do is flagpoling. I have US tourist visa and I am planning to cross the border via flight to US and return back to validate my PR. Is there any restriction on the duration of stay outside Canada with my COPR (for example I plan to stay in US for 3 weeks with my relatives). Will this length of stay be acceptable or do I need to return within a week to Canada? Also do I need to apply for PR Travel document (PRTD) before I travel to US with my COPR?

Thanks

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
The only restriction would be the COPR's expiry date (usually 6 months from your medical).

Your COPR should be enough to travel to Canada but contact your airline to make sure. They might be very confused about this so try to just frame the question as "I've been approved for PR, I have the proof, and I'm flying from the US to Canada to land". I'm concerned that any more information - such as the fact that you have lived in Canada already - may confuse things.

Sambi

Hi Riley,

Thanks for the reply.

I am currently living in Canada and I also have active work permit. My COPR is valid till June 2020. Since I have US tourist visa, I plan to stay there for 3 to 4 weeks and return well before my COPR expires. Would staying in US for this length of time with my COPR be ok? Also while flying back to Canada, what other documents other than COPR, passport, work permit would be required?

Regards,
Sambi

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Well, depending upon what country you are from you would need an eTA or visitor visa, if you didn't have the COPR. But the COPR should be a substitute.