Flagpoling to activate a new work permit even with my expired work visa

leal

First of all thank you for your attention!

I'm brazilian, I currently work in Quebec city with a valid work permit, but my work visa has expired. I received a new job offer. so I'll do the flagpole.

My questions are:

Can I flagpoling to activate a new work permit at the US border even with my expired work visa?
Can I also renew my work visa on the flagpole?

To assist in the analysis of my questions, the valid documents I have at hand are: eTA, CSQ, work permit and LMIA

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
When you say "work visa" I suppose you mean your visitor visa? Or do you mean the actual work permit?

I am just the webmaster, but it sounds to me like you can flagpole with those documents.

leal

When you say "work visa" I suppose you mean your visitor visa? Or do you mean the actual work permit?

I am just the webmaster, but it sounds to me like you can flagpole with those documents.
"work visa" is my visa into my passport. It's my expired work visa. And also I have the work permit

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So, my understanding is that, as long as you can travel to the US (i.e. you have a visa or a visa waiver), then you can flagpole. The visa itself is just for travel, to the best of my knowledge, so you only need to renew it if you are planning on traveling. (Again, just my understanding.)

leal

So, my understanding is that, as long as you can travel to the US (i.e. you have a visa or a visa waiver), then you can flagpole. The visa itself is just for travel, to the best of my knowledge, so you only need to renew it if you are planning on traveling. (Again, just my understanding.)
I Know, I can flagpole, but I don't know if I can flagpole to activate my new work permit with my current work permit valid AND my expired worker visa into my passport? Do you know ?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Not for sure. I believe plenty have people have flagpoled when their current work permit is valid in order to switch jobs, based upon comments on our article, but most people don't come back to post about their success or lack their of.

As to the visa: are you flying? If you are only driving it shoudn't be a problem that it is expired but if you're flying it absolutely would be a problem. (Or taking the train or bus.)

leal

I will flagpole to activate my new work permit with my current work permit valid AND my expired worker visa into my passport by car.
I will return the result.