General Information

DavisR

I am not sure if this is a unique situation, most likely not, but I am having trouble finding any information on what to do at this point.

I am getting married in Canada (BC) next month to an American. She has a degree in entrepreneurship and marketing and in a perfect world we would like her to be able to work in BC, however I have a job that could sponsor her if need be. We are hoping to find any information at all. From what visas are her best bet at getting here legally, to if she should apply for anything before she comes, or border crossing rules. We would appreciate any links or first hand knowledge.

Thank you very much in advance!

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Davis,
It's likely easier to sponsor her as your wife than it is for your company to give a job offer. Here's the difference:
Sponsorship
[list type=decimal]
[*]Once you are married, you submit a spousal sponsorship application (with a work permit application, if she wants to work in the interim)
[*]12 months later, you receive a decision, and provided the application was good, she's a permanent resident.
[/list]

Work Permit route:
[list type=decimal]
[*]The company offers her a job in a skilled occupation
[*]The company applies for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (up to 3 months)
[*]Once she has the LMIA, she applies for a work permit (couple of weeks)
[*]She works for a minimum of one year in the occupation
[*]She applies for CEC through Express Entry and waits for an Invitation to Apply (could be immediate, could take a while, depending upon her points
[*]Once she gets the ITA, she applies and then it's 6 months from the receipt of the application till she's a permanent resident.
[/list]