Get PR card if left 1 month after landing 20 years ago

zoe

I landed 20 years ago but left after having stayed for one month only. I have sin card and an expired health card. I wanted to go back to Canada.Can I go back via USA by private car and get my PR card after staying for two years? Can I work during my stay?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Can I go back via USA by private car and get my PR card after staying for two years?
In theory, yes you can do this. However, you will need to have your record of landing (or landing paper) with you and there is a chance that, when the CBSA officer learns that you have not been in Canada for 20 years, they will revoke your status. This is the only way you can re-enter without losing your status, but there's definitely still a risk you could lose your status.
If you do succeed in entering Canada, we would strongly recommend you stay here for at least three years before applying for a new PR Card. If you wait the minium instead, they will likely investigate your status as part of the PR Card renewal.

Can I work during my stay?
If you are admitted to Canada as a permanent resident, you have the right to work in Canada for nearly any employer.

zoe

Thanks for you prompt reply. Should I show them my landing paper when passing thru from USA or should I use eta with another passport. I got two passports, one from China with etaand one from another country,. I was not aware that I can’t apply eta by the time of application.
Or, Should I just use a passport without eta and enter as visiting my relative without showing landing paper? It is safer?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Provided the system is as up-to-date as they claim, you should have been unable to get an eTA. Applying for an eTA could have, in theory, triggered an investigation into your status but I can't be sure about that. It's possible that people who landed decades ago and have never applied for PR Cards are not in the eTA system as permanent residents. That's just a guess as to why you were able to get an eTA. As to whether or not you should use that eTA: that is a question for a lawyer or a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant. As a PR, you're not entitled to have visitor status, so I don't what kind of impact entering Canada as a visitor would have on your attempts to get a new PR Card.

I don't understand how you can enter Canada without an eTA (or a visitor visa) and without showing your landing paper. Basically, only Americans can travel to Canada without that stuff. You have two choices:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Fly to the US with your landing paper, drive to Canada and hope they let you in and do not revoke your PR
[*]Use your eTA to fly to Canada and enter as a visitor or a PR, depending upon what happens at the interview - again, hoping they let you in and don't revoke your status - and hope that, if you are admitted as a visitor instead of a PR, it doesn't have an impact on your PR status.
[/list]
Unless there's some information I'm missing, I don't know what other choice there is. As to which one to take, my guess would be the first but I would strongly suggest you speak to an expert about choice number 2 if you are seriously contemplating it.

zoe

A thousand thanks. I would take choice 1 . But I learnt it from ccic website that entering by sea or road no need eta! Am I wrong?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
When you enter by anything other than a plane, people who do not have status in Canada and do not require visitor visas also do not require eTAs.

When entering by private vehicle (i.e. car, private boat, etc), people with PR status do not need PR Cards.

zoe

So if I can enter Canada, should I approach yr firm immediately for assistance in preparation of application or should I approach when it is time to submit form? How much will it cost?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Once you enter Canada, you should wait three years before applying. We'll help you even if you only wait two but I think there is a very good chance of your application getting delayed if you only wait two years.

You can find our fees here: https://www.immigroup.com/permanent-resident-card

zoe

I would like to know further if I can apply for urgent case so that I can get pr card in three months? My daughter will reach 22 by 2019 and I want to sponsor her to immigrate to Canada. She is studying in an university in Canada now.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Urgency requests have been limited to emergencies now. Also, in your situation, there's no way you're getting a PR Card urgently if you apply with only 2 years residence in Canada.

zoe

Got it. You are so kind to give me your professional advice. I don't have to struggle if I should enter CA earlier in a hurry now. Will engagement your group to assist me when my stay reach 3 years if everything is smooth.
Regards,