Getting back to US without passport

SuzieQ

We are trying to make a quick trip to Toronto for a concert, literally up and back. I have tons of documents (birth certificates, drivers license, marriage and divorce certificates, social security cards, deed to my house, all of our state medical coverage cards, ....) to support our US citizenship but no current passport for myself and none for my kids. I’ve previously had 2 passports but both have expired and were thrown out by my ex. My kids are 13 and just turned 16. I have a friend who’s husband and 2 kids (16 & 20) just traveled a few weeks ago and had no problems....they each had birth certificates, 2 had drivers licenses and expired passports. The youngest had a school ID. They swear it was easy and posed no difficulties. Will we be able to make this trip? Is there a way they can look up my expired passports? (I called passports and it takes just as long to get a copy of an expired one as it does to get a new one and it has no use).

It is recommended that you use a current, valid passport when traveling between the United States and Canada. Children are required to present their own passport. Only children under age 16 can present a certified birth certificate when crossing the U.S./Canada border.

If in Canada when passport expires/lost, visit the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in Canada to renew passport in Canada.

** On the other hand you can still come to US

If you can prove that you are a US citizen, when coming back to US by land again. Though the CBP requires all US citizens carry proper documentation for re-entry, missing or not having those documents can not deny you entry, it will only delay your process as the CBP needs to make sure you are in fact a US citizen.

SuzieQ

It is recommended that you use a current, valid passport when traveling between the United States and Canada. Children are required to present their own passport. Only children under age 16 can present a certified birth certificate when crossing the U.S./Canada border.

If in Canada when passport expires/lost, visit the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in Canada to renew passport in Canada.

** On the other hand you can still come to US

If you can prove that you are a US citizen, when coming back to US by land again. Though the CBP requires all US citizens carry proper documentation for re-entry, missing or not having those documents can not deny you entry, it will only delay your process as the CBP needs to make sure you are in fact a US citizen.
How do they go about verifying US citizenship?

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
So they have to let you in as long as you prove you are all American. The passport requirement is for everyone else, and for flying. But it's really better to have the passport because that way you will avoid delays.