How long does it usually take?

NickyBlue

I received an email from the Detroit consulate that they received my application on May 7th 2012. This was after badgering them via email for a couple weeks. Is it typical for this to take up to two years to process?

thanks,
NickyBlue

NickyBlue

Wow, that's quite a wait! Thanks. I'm sure it depends a lot on the crimes but do most people get deemed admissible for entry into Canada after filling out all this paperwork? I have two DUI's and Obstruction of the legal process from 2001. Ended probation in 2007.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again,
It really depends a lot on the sentences, as whether or not you qualify criminal rehab is based on the time since the sentence(s) has ended, but that also depends on the type of sentence. Since your sentence seems to have ended around 7 years ago, it sounds like you might be indeed eligible for criminal rehab. I can't really say more without knowing more about your particular situation (and I am not the expert on criminal rehab here, I should mention). Just know that even once you are considered "rehabilitated" the border officers will likely bring up your past every time you cross the border, sorry to say.

NickyBlue

Well that's unfortunate. I got turned around at the Border with my In-laws about 6 years ago, haven't tried since. I have always wondered if they flagged me or something after that. My In-laws have been going there for about 25 years and never have had anyone denied at the border before. Pretty amazing I can still be considered dangerous by a Country I don't live in for offenses that happened 13 years ago! Yay Canada! Thanks for all your replies.

Riley Haas

Administrator
Staff member
If it makes you feel any better - and I'm sure it does not - the US does the same thing to Canadians, though not normally for DUIs.

NickyBlue

Wahooooo! Finally got my letter back approved! Took two years and a lot of bothering people just to get started but I'd say it was worth it :D Now I just hope the old cabin on Rainy isn't under water :eek: